• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2012 (First Half)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
bleach, toriko, Beelzebub, reborn, gintama, and blue exorcist ALL not in the top 10!

that's a major loss. and with that i'll say the toriko anime will be ending soon.

hunter x hunter though!!!!!!!! hell yeah. even if the new anime is horrible, you can't beat the manga!

and One Piece is just a GOD!

AgitoZ wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Ratings are profitable, otherwise there'd be no need for them. Kai was a special case where the cost of hiring the now-legendary seiyuu back was essentially bankrupting the show. They couldn't get all of them back to begin with due to some of their high asking price.

Ratings aren't as important as they are in western television. Given the fact that many have to buy time slots in the first place. Shows can't survive through ad money alone, especially if what they're advertising isn't selling. Which is what happened to Kai. The cost coming in from the merch highly offset the cost for making it (what little it was already).

If ratings were as important as they were many shows would not be on air.

for anime shows to stay on for long runs, the manga needs to sell well usually (one piece and naruto). or the anime has to get a really high rating (detective conan) that's it.

Sewingrose wrote:
Obligatory yay for One Piece, and I hope it continues to be an awesome series.

Hunter x Hunter being so high up never ceases to impress me considering how often it's on hiatus.

To anyone who has read some of the manga and seen the anime, which should I look at first? (Waiting for the season to end though, I'm a marathoner person).

watch the original anime. the new anime is trash. i don't care how closely it follows the manga, the voice actors are all tweens, and the show is more pansy than fairy tail. the manga beats all anime always though.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Yeah, One Piece is declining hard, and still going. It lost like 50% sales. Ouch.

Guess its bubble burst and it's on the way out.

bleach is declining, one piece is a juggernaut. every volume sells between 2 million +. the japanese love their one piece. sadly europe and the usa haven't caught onto the greatness that is one piece.

skafreak51 wrote:
This list scares me. There seriously hasn't been a huge new hit in a while- Space Bros, Blue Exorcist, and Attack on Titan have gotten a large following, but nothing in the realm of Naruto to One Piece popularity. I wonder why this is?

Either way, I hope they continue to grow into massive hits. I'm truly scared that the industry is going to collapse when it ends. Asking for another One Piece size hit might be a bit greedy, but I'm at least asking for another FMA or Naruto... Please?

the next big one was suppose to be toriko. but its starting to go backwards. the only other one with potential is fairy tail

[Mod Edit: Don't post 5 posts in a row. If you see another post you need to respond to right away then just edit in to your current post. - Keonyn]
rapjul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Obligatory yay for One Piece, and I hope it continues to be an awesome series.

Hunter x Hunter being so high up never ceases to impress me considering how often it's on hiatus.

To anyone who has read some of the manga and seen the anime, which should I look at first? (Waiting for the season to end though, I'm a marathoner person).

watch the original anime. the new anime is trash. i don't care how closely it follows the manga, the voice actors are all tweens, and the show is more pansy than fairy tail. the manga beats all anime always though.

The new anime is great because it does follow the manga. All I ask for in an anime is for it to follow the manga and for that to have a good story, plus some other things.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Ratings are profitable, otherwise there'd be no need for them. Kai was a special case where the cost of hiring the now-legendary seiyuu back was essentially bankrupting the show. They couldn't get all of them back to begin with due to some of their high asking price.

Ratings aren't as important as they are in western television. Given the fact that many have to buy time slots in the first place. Shows can't survive through ad money alone, especially if what they're advertising isn't selling. Which is what happened to Kai. The cost coming in from the merch highly offset the cost for making it (what little it was already).

If ratings were as important as they were many shows would not be on air.

for anime shows to stay on for long runs, the manga needs to sell well usually (one piece and naruto). or the anime has to get a really high rating (detective conan) that's it.

Yes and no. Manga sales are important of course but they will not save a show with terrible ratings. Bleach is an excellent example : its sales are declining of course but they're still quite good and yet the anime was cancelled because of its atrocious ratings. On the other hand, Toriko has pretty good ratings despite its lower - yet still decent - manga sales and it looks set to continue airing for a while.

Other aspects must also be taken into consideration. Firstly, the merchandising : shows like Anpanman or even Pokemon get lower ratings than the usual heavy hitters (and Pokemon manga sales in Japan are far from brilliant) but they are huge in terms of merchandising (+ video games for Pokemon) and that brings a lot of money in. Secondly, the performance of the movies in the box office : movie franchises like Doraemon, Detective Conan and Pokemon are extremely profitable and very stable bringing around 3-3.5 billion yen annually for the first two and 4.5-5 billion yen annually for the last one (after respectively 32, 16 and 14 soon to be 15 movies). Obviously, to promote those movies, you need a weekly anime.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Looks like HxH might replace Bleach for the Big 3 spot. That is, if it can come back from hiatus again.
HxH is amazing, so it would be rightfully deserving.
makaihime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Some people need to realize that the sales One Piece reached in 2011 will most likely not happen again for a very long time or if it'll even hit those sales marks again. (Maybe when it's near the end of the series?) The reason for the OP sales explosion last year was due to the War arc bringing in new readers. The Strong World movie also helped in drawing in new fans. People who were introduced to OP during the War arc began backtracking the series and was purchasing older volumes (for example, Vol 1. of OP managed to sell half a million just last year Shocked ) Those numbers alone should tell you the huge surge of new fans the movie/War arc helped bring in.

One Piece isn't declining in popularity. If anything, its bigger than it ever was. Last year was a huge year for OP with it closing its first half and starting the second half and the brilliance of the War arc helped draw in all those new readers. (The best arc so far in IMO) OP has entered its steady numbers again and I don't see those number declining much for at least several more years or if it'll even. This is obvious if you look at the sales of each OP volume. It's been increasing with each year and this year it has maintained its 3mil mark, ever since vol 60 (or was it 59?) With its older fans and now newer fans, I'm sure OP will be going strong for another 10+ years Very Happy

Lol and Oda's milking OP? Laughing Please. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by makaihime on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:47 am; edited 4 times in total
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Fairy Tail's #6 all right!

Sad to see Bleach is no longer on the list though. Crying or Very sad

Bad glad to see Attack On Titan, i've heard nothing but good things about that series, look forward to buying the first volume when Kodanansha pumps it out stateside later this month!
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
nakobass wrote:
Just Happy Fairy Tail is still in the Top 10. Naruto and Bleach are coming to an end, so that should help the others sales slightly.

If Naruto is ending, then so Is One Piece, right?

You know what, I hope it doesn't end. Just to spite the One Piece fans who can't be happy without trashing other series. I hope it keeps on staying strong like it currently has. I don't have a problem with the success of One Piece, but boy do the fans give it a bad name.

To be honest, I can't stand Toriko, but that's mainly because I find the premise of a food hunter to be... unappealing.

As for Fairy Tail, well I hope it does well. Still, I am getting pretty tired of Mashima's rather inexcusable inconsistencies, even for shounen. I do wish he would also try to knock it off with the wild mood swings. Still, it is a solid shounen with great potential. The anime is not doing hot, but maybe it needs time to really establish itself.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
nakobass wrote:
Just Happy Fairy Tail is still in the Top 10. Naruto and Bleach are coming to an end, so that should help the others sales slightly.

um naruto is ending mashima even said in a alpha interview the series was reaching its climax and the interview was three monthes ago so yes naruto is ending once it does im curious what series will replace it in jump but it'll probably be toriko.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
nakobass wrote:

um naruto is ending mashima even said in a alpha interview the series was reaching its climax and the interview was three monthes ago so yes naruto is ending once it does im curious what series will replace it in jump but it'll probably be toriko.

Uh, yeah, I'll wait until there's something more concrete on when that will be. so it's kind of like saying that One Piece has climaxed and is heading to an end but who knows when that will be. But still, I really can't see Toriko replacing it, sorry.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
opn wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
nakobass wrote:

Uh, yeah, I'll wait until there's something more concrete on when that will be. so it's kind of like saying that One Piece has climaxed and is heading to an end but who knows when that will be. But still, I really can't see Toriko replacing it, sorry.

theres a massive difference between op and naruto naruto has always looked like it was ending soon ever since the war arc started and its why kishimoto has literally spoiler[brought everyone back from the grave for one massive all out war] and toriko has always been in the top five in jump polls and its starting to sell more then even gintama and there really isnt another series that can replace naruto other then toriko.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I always find it funny that people claim One Piece fans are immature and bash other series. Yes we have one post of a One Piece fan bashing Naruto but the couple posts bashing One Piece and celebrating that it's sales might have fallen are conviently ignored.

I am not going to claim the One Piece fandom has no issues but what big fandom doesn't?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

To be honest, I can't stand Toriko, but that's mainly because I find the premise of a food hunter to be... unappealing.

I can totally see where you're coming from, and that is a completely legitimate excuse not to like the series. I'm just personally amused that my future-veterinarian-sister and my-doesn't-eat-red-meat-self love the series besides that. All just personal tolerance for the material I guess. (And maybe the spirit of the series where it's 100% clear they are hunting to eat and not for just for sport).

Um for the whole Naruto, Bleach, One Piece ending thing. Both the Kubo and Kishimoto have said this is the last arc for Bleach/Naruto. And my friends who read Naruto religiously assure me it's definitely building towards the major climax.
One Piece on the other hand has volume 60 come out about a year ago, and that was widely held as the "Middle Point" of the series. So yeah, One Piece is still going strong.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I always find it funny that people claim One Piece fans are immature and bash other series. Yes we have one post of a One Piece fan bashing Naruto but the couple posts bashing One Piece and celebrating that it's sales might have fallen are conviently ignored.

I am not going to claim the One Piece fandom has no issues but what big fandom doesn't?

Agreed.

Honestly, and I say this as a shonen fan myself. The vast majority of long running shonen fans all to often act like blithering man-children online. You know what, like what your gonna like, hate what your gonna hate, thats fine. But don't bash or belittle someone just because they don't think your favorite long runner is "Da besteset thing ever!"

I can personally attest to having many negative experiences with One Piece fans both online and real life, just because I like Bleach & Fairy Tail more then OP. And met quite the number of annoying rabid Naruto fans as well, and of course the constant whining from the Bleach fanbase can be a downer.

So yeah, I love shonen, but its fanbse, they are way too childish at times. But as said, that can pretty much be applied to any fanbase on the internet. Way to many people arguing over differences of taste/opinion/etc.

But hey, whatever, to each their own.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
People arguing about tastes is one thing, people not being able at all to judge a series at least a bit objectively is a whole different thing.

Everyone can like whatever they want, but this doesn't mean that the series they like are actually better than the ones they don't.

To make an example, I still like Naruto and its fandom in general, despite its decline over the years (the plot and themes of later arcs are often redundant and forced, just compare them with earlier arcs, it's quite evident), I liked Bleach too, but got angry for the lack of actual planning from the author, plot-wise (and the manga looks quite empty to me, without almost no backgrounds, but I can't really judge it because I don't read it but just looked at it sometimes), while I didn't like One Piece at all at first, but I love it now after reading all the volumes up to 63 (and watching the anime, but let's leave that aside since the manga is much, much better most of the time).

That said, and also considering that I read many other manga of almost any genre/demographic (from shoujo to seinen, and many classic as Osamu Tezuka's manga and other masterpieces like Nausica, Akira and so on), I can objectively say that, overall, One Piece is a (much) better manga than Naruto, for reasons I could list anytime, if asked.
Some people could see this as bashing, but it isn't: it's giving a honest opinion based on facts (which include character design, panels layout, characters developments, quality of drawings and richness of them, overall plot and themes, and as I said I could give examples).

However, even if I strongly believe that One Piece is better than Naruto, it doesn't mean that people who still like Naruto more cannot exist: there may be many reasons for that, and personal tastes come into account, too.

What bothers me, though, is when people make superficial discussions as "I like it, period": ok, nice to know, but what does it really add? Nothing.
Even worse, people who say that nothing is objective, when there are conventions and rules that must be used, in any creative works, to properly convey an idea/message/emotion, and even when you break said rules you can only do it when you know them to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
syrianmj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
1- Nice 2 See Op 9.5 millions less That mean There is not A lot of New Fans Specially Japanese Working women Laughing
That is Expected Cause Fishman & Pink hazard Arcs Reallu lame Comparing 2 Previous Arcs

2- Nice 2 see Naruto is Steady And the Next 2 Volumes Goanna sale very Good Cauase they Containing Chapters Had A gr8 Ranking In Weekly Shonen Jump

3-The Only WSJ Series R Bakuman (Ended) HxH (hitaus) Kuroko (Animated Recently )
While There is Not Bleach, Gintama , Reborn , Toriko
Which Mean WSJ Really Need To Refresh Its Series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4