• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index Episodes 1-14 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

They're pretty much cooler because Misaka's got the powers to do more stuff than Touma, either way, its your opinion against mine which ultimatly means nothing.

Its almost as if she has a versatile ability that allows her to adapt to various situations, instead of the story having to contort itself so that the enemy can always be defeated by a punch to the face!

Quote:
And are you talking about saten? she could possibly appear here and there in the series, but IMHO its best she stays in Railgun with BiriBiri's group.

I'll make you a deal, Saten stays in Railgun, Touma stays in Index.

Well say what you will about Touma winning that way, I get MUCH more annoyed when a power up comes from nowhere and he wins with some new power and win that way. plus to me I'm sort of OK with it because when you have limited options you kind of have to work with what you've got. If I was being chase by some psycho down a hall and he suddenly makes a mistake resulting in my safety, I'm not going to stop and say "huh? why'd he make such a dumb move?" I'd take it, call the cops and call it a day.

As far as the deal, I'd excpet, but its too bad I'm not the person running the series~
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Well say what you will about Touma winning that way, I get MUCH more annoyed when a power up comes from nowhere and he wins with some new power and win that way. plus to me I'm sort of OK with it because when you have limited options you kind of have to work with what you've got. If I was being chase by some psycho down a hall and he suddenly makes a mistake resulting in my safety, I'm not going to stop and say "huh? why'd he make such a dumb move?" I'd take it, call the cops and call it a day.

As far as the deal, I'd excpet, but its too bad I'm not the person running the series~

I'm continually amused at the contortions people will go through to try and justify the complete lack of consistency with Touma's powers.

Seriously, what is so great about the guy?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

again this is review on ep 1-14 season one but in all honesty it's J.C. Staff what do you expect?

For people to not erroneously blame things on the animation studio?

J.C. staff is about as good with light novels as DEEN is with visual novels. which is to say horrible, and unless the source material saves the adaptation it is going to end badly. so yes they deserve a good amount of the criticism that they get about this adaptation and many others cough kami-sama no memo-chou cough

and yes, he's a great character. he is actually able to come like a real version of the archatype that he is, which is rare to find. also he does have a lot of fairly epic speeches.

I am surprised no one has mentioned translating one-sama as SISSY. because there is a topic on the funi board about how bad it is.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

I'm continually amused at the contortions people will go through to try and justify the complete lack of consistency with Touma's powers.

The romance between him and misaka is kinda fun to watch?? I'm just a sucker for that type of stuff, hell even 10032 gets some fun later down the road >_>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

For me he's a tad relatable so that personally why I like him. No I don't have a harem but my luck does feel crappy and I can root for him very easliy when he's going up against the villians becuase the stuff they do is arguably f***ed up for very dumb reasons at times. In all honest Touma's character isn't really that deep and its quite simple: He'll do what he feels is right to the best of his abilities and won't waver. In short I just like the simplicity of the character nothing more or less.

Again its your opinion against mine so really it dosn't mean anything.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

He gets his arm severed and is still competent and composed enough to realize the weakness in Izzard's power and be able to psych Izzard out despite the loss of said arm (which, by the way, was the Imagine Breaker arm).

It's like you didn't even watch Index if you think Biribiri did anything near as cool as the awesome way Touma defeats Izzard.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

It's like you didn't even watch Index if you think Biribiri did anything near as cool as the awesome way Touma defeats Izzard.

I don't have much of an issue with early series Touma, up through the Accelerator arc or so. Its after that that he, and the series in general, starts being pretty bullshit.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
In all honest Touma's character isn't really that deep and its quite simple: He'll do what he feels is right to the best of his abilities and won't waver.

Agreed. Having a strong sense of justice is generally considered a positive trait - that's something to like about someone. But, overall, he's just a good guy.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
I love this series to freakin' hell. Even with its major flaws in story pacing, it's a great shounen anime nonetheless. Touma's character is a bit generic, but it's hard to hate a guy who's always in misfortune.
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I'll make you a deal, Saten stays in Railgun, Touma stays in Index.

The funny thing is that Touma makes a far better impression of himself in Railgun than he does in Index.

Really, though, I don't think that his tendency to punch people in the face is a problem in itself, and I don't think his powers are that ill-defined (within the boundaries the show sets up, anyway). The real problem with Touma is that damn saviour complex he's got.

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually made a point of it beyond someone complaining about him not asking for help at the end of half the arcs - you know, use it for legitimate character growth and all that, or at least make an attempt to give us some grounds to accept it as a legitimate character trait. Instead, it's just used as a narrative crutch so that Kamachi can avoid taking logical steps to involve characters it'd make sense to get involved. Then they just rub your face in it by having Touma preach to characters about having exactly the same attitude he does.

It's indicative of one of the larger problems with Index, really - Kamachi just seems to love introducing new characters. Maybe he just finds that easier to write in a compelling fashion than trying to re-use existing characters sensibly, but since Touma usually needs both someone to save, someone to explain to situation and someone to punch in the face, the cast as a whole exploded exponentially outside of the first few arcs. It's pretty much a self-perpetuating problem at this point - the more heroes you have, the more villains you need to counter them, which ultimately leads to either introducing even more heroes to counter that, or having those villains move to the hero side when they have a change of heart.

Which then means that there's even more characters that it's completely illogical to not get involved in a particular situation, which leads to either further invocation of Toumas saviour complex, stupid set-ups (often nonsensical political ones) preventing others from getting involved, or making people simply act completely out of established character.

Which is incredibly frustrating for the viewer (or reader), as they generally do a pretty good job of enamouring you to the characters, and occasionally they'll throw in a really entertaining ensemble arc (or something not involving Touma), but everytime it looks like they might be making progress on the actual problems with the series, they somehow pull back on it at the end. It doesn't really help when they start escalating the scale of the situations to the kind of degree that makes it hard to understand why they don't just pop Touma from a distance with a sniper rifle.

One of the reasons that Railgun tends to resonate more than Index as a whole is that they show an incredible amount of restraint - they don't needlessly bloat the cast, and by restricting themselves to Academy City they keep the storylines to a scale where it makes sense that the hero-side would actually, with some difficulty (and actual assistance!) be able to handle on their lonesome.

Of course, that Mikoto has an actual power does mean the acceptable realistic level of situation is higher than it would be for just Touma alone in Index, but *shrug*
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
I gave this show a whole season to prove itself, and honestly my interest wavered between, "this is an okay popcorn kind of show" and "this is just dumb", in the end the pieces just didn't add up beyond the sum of it's parts, so it ended up thumbs down for me.

I was initially intrigued by the whole mix of science/magic, but it felt like it all got drowned out by "tell, don't show info-dumping"...and yeah too much of Touma puncing people in the face (a main character with a power that conveniantly dumps all over any preestablished rules in a setting? What is this something from Type-Moon?)

...and too many fetishized stereotypes in terms of characters..god damn did I hate the goofy predetorial lesbian teleporter character. I stopped finding that crap funny a long time ago...
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I was initially intrigued by the whole mix of science/magic, but it felt like it all got drowned out by "tell, don't show info-dumping

Yeah, I'm seriously surprised how that doesn't bother anyone else because I know it bothered me. Worse than that, and I know this was in it, was how unnatural sounding the dialogue was most of the time. Even if you could excuse a few characters like the Misaka clone with the what is it, nightvision goggles? Even if you could excuse characters like that, most of them are just teenagers and... their dialogue doesn't make them sound like how teenagers would talk. It's really weird.
terminus24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
Index is a fantastic series, in my opinion. I recently watched both seasons, and found them to be very enjoyable. One of the things I like about this show is Touma, and that he's an average teenage guy (just like every other shonen anime) who is basically invincible (just like every other shonen anime) because he is (woah!). It's good to have a shonen anime about a guy whose only power is to negate other powers, unlike one where a teenage guy gets powers that ate so strong they could obliterate the world in seconds, if they want.

However, I find it interesting that the only ones who are actually able able to hurt him so far are his friends/the guys on his side (Index, Kanzaki, Misaka), and the truly insane bad guys (Izzard, Vento, and a few others), and just wait till his power spoiler[spreads through his whole body]. And seriously, the only one who has even really attempted attacking him with a standard weapon was Kanzaki in episode 2 or something...

I'm hopeful for a season 3, possibly next year after the movie comes out? And Funimation NEEDS to step up it's DVD releases, hasn't this been licensed for like, two years? And I don't think a dub cast has been announced, so it probably won't be our this year...[/spoiler]
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
I was initially intrigued by the whole mix of science/magic, but it felt like it all got drowned out by "tell, don't show info-dumping

Yeah, I'm seriously surprised how that doesn't bother anyone else because I know it bothered me. Worse than that, and I know this was in it, was how unnatural sounding the dialogue was most of the time. Even if you could excuse a few characters like the Misaka clone with the what is it, nightvision goggles? Even if you could excuse characters like that, most of them are just teenagers and... their dialogue doesn't make them sound like how teenagers would talk. It's really weird.

Yeah, it seems to be a big issue with light/visual novel adaptations. Maybe the writers and story board artists are just unsure of what to do because unlike manga their's not that much visual reference to draw from?

I recall a scene in episode 2 of Shakugan no Shana (by the same studio I believe?) where Alastor is explaining stuff to the protagonist...the whole thing is just them talking, with occasional cuts to Shana undressing (classy...). It goes on for several minutes...

I'm not saying scenes of just characters talking are inherently bad...it's just that when you're discussing the fantastic, like psychic powers , super-science and magic, having people just...talk about it feels really lazy
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Yeah, it seems to be a big issue with light/visual novel adaptations. Maybe the writers and story board artists are just unsure of what to do because unlike manga their's not that much visual reference to draw from?

Ya know that could be a possibility. I honestly always felt there is lack of knowing when to draw the line in being faithful to the source material. Like they're being too intentionally faithful.

Quote:
I recall a scene in episode 2 of Shakugan no Shana (by the same studio I believe?) where Alastor is explaining stuff to the protagonist...the whole thing is just them talking, with occasional cuts to Shana undressing (classy...). It goes on for several minutes...

I actually know what you're talking about, although that didn't bother me at the time. Maybe it was because I saw it back in 2008 and didn't know any better then or maybe watching the first season dubbed had something to do with it. I mean if I watched the same long-running dialogue in a scene dubbed, then it'll still felt long-winded, but at least not as much so because hopefully the dialogue was adapted to sound more fluid. That and I only have two things to pay attention to, being what is said and how it's being said which both involve just listening as oppose to also reading the dialogue via subtitles if that makes any sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6