• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Blood: The Last Vampire Teaser Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
wolf: Um, the Hungarian connection is based off the Stoker version, which is not the definitive canon for the guy any more than the Romans had the definitive versions of the Greek gods. So I'm guessing those Hungarians are trying to claim the guy as his own as some nationalistic rivalry crap, much like the Europeans try to call dibs on who "discovered" America first. And Romania was around long before the Hungarians, when the Romans established it first. [Hence the name.] And how can you not know Saya is a vampire when it says so in the friggin' title?! As for the Korean Hana Kimi, I meant that the author gave the ok for it. Sorry for the confusion there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
Universal picked up the rights, and I hope to god they are reading this, because I want to see this in the theatres. It should be shown in it's original form as well. Please. Look at Passion of the Christ! There was no English in that movie!

Most of the people who saw Passion of the Christ watched it for religious reasons, less an entertainment. They wanted to see the history of their Lord. The power of religious persuasion cannot be underestimated.

GeneralArrow wrote:
Man this looks awesome! I just hope that its released in the US, either as a special event or as a DVD release. They better sub it and not do an English dub. One thing I hate is Live Action dubs, it doesn't matter how good the dub is it just doesn't feel right.

Then you may have to watch the closed captions because it seems to be an (mostly) English movie, according to IMDB, with many of the cast Westerners**. Dunno if movie theaters support closed captions though. Laughing

That seems to make more business sense when the plan all along is a multinational release (really, a purely Japanese film will only be released multinationally only after it's been successful in Japan).

[** Heck, "Saya" could have casted a Western girl too, depending whether it's movie canon or TV canon how much time she actually spent as human Japanese. It can be argued that Superman and Goku are icons, but "Saya" is nowhere near an ingrained perception that's irreplaceable.]

Oh, and no watching the Japanese dub! Wink
Not even sure the young Korean girl could well speak Japanese (even though she's 27 playing a HS girl).

GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Hiding out in Thailand makes someone not white?

If he dresses like a local thug, probably.

Dude, everybody hides out in Thailand! Laughing
(Especially "sexual tourists," unfortunately.)
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
wolf: Um, the Hungarian connection is based off the Stoker version, which is not the definitive canon for the guy any more than the Romans had the definitive versions of the Greek gods. So I'm guessing those Hungarians are trying to claim the guy as his own as some nationalistic rivalry crap, much like the Europeans try to call dibs on who "discovered" America first. And Romania was around long before the Hungarians, when the Romans established it first.

Uh... isn't Stoker kind of the guy who invented Dracula?

I mean, I know Vlad, a real guy, served as an inspiration, but I'm fairly certain the fictional character of "Count Dracula" didn't exist before Stoker's book.

I've never actually read the noevel, but if Count Dracula was indeed Hungarian in it, it means that the original Dracula was a Hungarian... period. If he appeared as something different in various adaptions, it's case where the adaption changed things.

/heavy sarcasm mode on:

"You must be talking about Toriyama's Dragonball, Gatsu, but that's not the definitive Dragonball. So I'm guessing these Japanese are trying to claim Goku as their own as some sort of nationalistic crap.

/mode off
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
But, where is it stated that Bison is not white?

Um, he hides out in Thailand. But ok, assuming I accept your argument, he's still not a tall, thin, blonde guy, either.

Given his confusing background I think it's fair to say that Bison's ethnicity is up in the air. We really only have his name and physical appearance to go by, and even that's kind of vague and confusing given the US name changes.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
Arrow

Last edited by yojimboray on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:34 am; edited 2 times in total
yojimboray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Sawa only has a Japanese name, but isn't necessarily a Japanese character, given that she's a vampire first, and a person belonging to a particular country second. But the geisha are Japanese.

Oh man, I just shot soda from my nose from laughing so hard at this reasoning. Ahhahahaha... that hurt.

I think arguing nationality rules for a race of beings that doesn't exist is just... pointless. Vampire does not = nationality. Saya was always portrayed as Japanese from the get-go, and traditionally in media and books, vampires are "from" where they were born, human or not. Lestat = French, Dracula = Hungarian, Edward = American, Miyu = Japanese. Be it race or just human turned vamp, they're FROM somewhere, and Saya was Japanese.

Going in this stupid mindset where unless you're from that country it's racist, let's label Oldboy, Cityhunter, and the Korean drama of Hana Kimi as racist scum too. And then we have stuff like Slumdog Millionaire with a British born lead actor, not Indian, that is so... RACIST!, Nicole Kidman doing anything without an Aussie accent... so racist, and Star Wars for not getting any real bloody Tatooinians! Wow, I never realized how racist everything was before. We need to start contacting the appropriate groups to let them know of this insult.

Anyone else having a problem with the trailer? I'll see video for the first couple seconds, and then it turns all black.

I hope everyone reads this post- makes a lot of sense!
yojimboray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:33 am Reply with quote
[quote="yojimboray"]
GATSU wrote:
If they don't release this here, and we get stuck with Chun Li, my prior rant about Hollywood's racism against Asians will be validated. This sucker looks way more awesome than DBE, and I don't even care about the series! Anyway, since I still have yet to see "My Sassy Girl", I'm curious to hear Sakechan's opinion on the teaser.

Gatsu,

I rarely agree with you, but I do appreciate your consistency- you don't seem to be biased in favor of either Japan or the U.S. after reading this post (I've seen you accusing Japan being racist as well). I see way too many people biased one way or the other, e.g. Son Goku isn't Asian, he's an alien, but, of course, it's obvious that Superman is a white man!

Having said that, I think racim is too strong a word on this subject. It's definitely racial (it's obvious that, most of the time, the majority of audiences in the U.S will not see an "ethnic" film), but I think you should save the term "racist" for when the next Rodney King get his a$$ beaten down by an army of cops. In other words, there are a lot more serious issues deserving of the term "racist."

P.S. I don't know your taste in film, but Sassy Girl is hilarious. That is, I thought the original version was hilarious. The American re-make went straight to DVD.
leoncloud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
Hurry call P Anderson n PETA, BLOOD be killing animals!

Racist or not Street Fighter movie IS dumb, either way.

As for Geisha, i never liked the lead actress anyway, and the movie
was exactly what it is "chinese knock off".

Long ago in a galaxy far far away, the people made Orz
There are many others out there, lets hope they dont make the same mistake twice.

As for DBZ movie, ..., think Speed Racer movie, LOLZ.
I dont know what the higher ups was thinking when they came
up with the concept, but if they think kids these days are that
stupid, well lets just say its their money they are wasting.

Honestly though until I've actually seen the show, its hard to judge it, it really depends on how the movie is presented as a whole for me. Like the Spiderman movies, god where they great, i love them, even though MJ makes me wanna slit my wrist. Funny how you get a new perspective when you see things in rl, i cant help but
chuckle n grin when i see the fight scenes in the uniform. I bet Yomi n Kagura fight scene from Ga-Rei -Zero- wont have the same effect in rl form.

If we are lucky or spam enough emails, we might get fathom events to host it in theaters w!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
wolf: Um, the Hungarian connection is based off the Stoker version, which is not the definitive canon for the guy any more than the Romans had the definitive versions of the Greek gods. So I'm guessing those Hungarians are trying to claim the guy as his own as some nationalistic rivalry crap, much like the Europeans try to call dibs on who "discovered" America first. And Romania was around long before the Hungarians, when the Romans established it first. [Hence the name.] And how can you not know Saya is a vampire when it says so in the friggin' title?! As for the Korean Hana Kimi, I meant that the author gave the ok for it. Sorry for the confusion there.

I laughed. I laughed hard. You either

1) didn't read the post at all or
2) just skimmed through it.

You're contridicting yourself on the Stoker thing, and then claiming what he wrote isn't canon? He created Count Dracula. You don't get more canon than that. I feel like I'm telling a kid here that Santa doesn't exist, but here we go: The original Vladimir was NEVER an actual vampire. He was a man who scared the locals to death because he got his kicks from torturing people. Vampires are fictional, supernatural beings. Bram decided to just give him the same name. Bram's is Hungarian.

Anyway, again, you continue to prove you have no knowledge on European history, nor do you care to look up the facts on what you spew and claim to be factual. Europe has gone through tons of wars over the centuries, countries got eaten up by other countries, countries got renamed, countries married into other countries, etc. The map of Europe today is NOT the same map of Europe 500 years ago, and no where near the same as 1000 years ago.

Here's the history of Transylvania for you Gatsu

82 BC - 106 AD - The Romans came along, and called it the Kingdom of Dacia

Then the Romans fell apart and left around 271 and "barbarian tribes" of various descent went wild. No Romania yet.

800 AD - The area was then conquered by the Magyars, which is another name for Hungarians.

1003AD - 1526 AD - Transylvania became an official providence of Hungary.

1526 AD - Transylvania declares independence from Hungary, yet is still ruled by Hungarian princes.

1566- Ottoman empire shows up around this time now, and Hungary is split up. Transylvania is now ran by the Ottoman empire.

1699 - The Turks aka the "Ottoman empire" concede Transylvania breaking off and Transylvania is part of Hungary again.

1849 - Transylvania separates from Hungary.

1867-1918 - It was reabsorbed back into Hungary as part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

1918- Hungary was defeated in WW1, and since all the land of the losers was up for grabs, Romania claimed Transylvania. Transylvania was never a part of Romania until the 1900s.

Quit telling me I'm wrong when you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

As to the whole "How can you not know Saya was a vampire when it's in the title" stuff... I was going by how she is perceived since you continued to insist everyone perceived Goku as Asian. Take the title of the movie away and all you're left with as a hint of her origins is just a photograph.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
wolf: Stoker created the Dracula he had heard from others. It's not like Shelley and Frankenstein, though you could argue she based that one on the golem. Anyway, I know nothing about history, and yet you supported my argument that the Romans got there first. You also note that Transylvania didn't want to be a part of the Hungarian empire, which would thus make a noble who lived there unlikely to be Hungarian, since that would, by default, make the region a part of the empire. Also, the fact that the Transylvanians kept trying to break off other times would indicate that they did not, in fact, consider themselves Hungarian any more than East Timor considers itself a part of Indonesia. As for Goku, people perceive him as Asian, because he lives in an Asian countryside. If you took out the title of Blood, people would still consider Saya to be a vampire, because there are other vampires around Japan, and she acts different from the other students.

Last edited by GATSU on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Well I think that the teaser looks kind of terrible but it's only fitting because that's how I felt about the original anime too.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:
I just hope that its released in the US, either as a special event or as a DVD release.

NO NO NO NO!!!

We have the Art House scene, why can't these studios use this as an alternative way to release Anime??

testorschoice wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Um, he hides out in Thailand.

Hiding out in Thailand makes someone not white?

No, it makes them a Pedophile.

enurtsol wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
Please. Look at Passion of the Christ! There was no English in that movie!

Most of the people who saw Passion of the Christ watched it for religious reasons, less an entertainment. They wanted to see the history of their Lord. The power of religious persuasion cannot be underestimated.

One could argue Anime is a religion with many different "deities" in animated form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3