• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto DVD Box Set 12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
SO do I. Who the hell said that????

Also another filler arc that interest me is the Fuma arc. Especially that "seal of the mandara" technique that Arashi used. Also the ending of that story is kinda similar to volume 27 of the manga cause it's kinda similar (excluding the deception of the pervert sage.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
I don't think you guys realize just how many interviews Kishi has done. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'd probably waste an entire day hunting that particular one down (and wouldn't even know where to start looking). But he did say it, people often mention it down at narutofanforums. Granted, I'm not sure if he's still doing it, but it seems obvious at past points where there were moments when I thought, "well, they could have gone more in-depth on that". Kishi does change his mind sometimes though, according to older interviews, (mild manga spoilers) spoiler[Part 2 was to have much more romance (didn't happen), an Akatsuki member was to join the good guys (didn't happen unless we count post-death examples), Sakura was supposed to be given focus and Naruto would have to wait (the opposite occured), Part 2 was supposed to be shorter than Part 1 (could happen, but if it does, it'll be a difference by only a few chapters). I also wonder if Kishi might be suffering from personal problems, the last few arcs have generally been downbeat and arguably depressing (especially this week's chapter, in which a villain pretty much laid down the harsh reality of war), though this is just as likely him just gradually maturing the story as it goes along].
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Well it makes sense his mind would change; it is an ongoing story after all.

But wow, he's actually done a lot of interviews? Damn it, where can I find these?

That's so awesome... I thought he was another reclusive manga author like so many others...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
But wow, he's actually done a lot of interviews? Damn it, where can I find these?

That's so awesome... I thought he was another reclusive manga author like so many others...

Let's see, there's the annual Jump Festa interviews, the ones in the manga (I stopped buying after vol. 14, and stuck to the anime DVDs, so not sure how long they last), I've seen ones for like the manga guides and such, and I'm sure there are others. Sometimes, he almost gives away TOO MUCH information about upcoming events, so that I can put the dots together and figure out an upcoming event (luckily for his bigger twists, he keeps silent, which I appreciate).

My favorite one from this year's Jump Festa:
"Please stop killing off so many characters". He admits he is guilty of this and ends with a mere chuckle. Laughing

Edit: As for where to find them, for the Jump Festa ones, just google "Jump Festa 'insert year here' kishimoto" and you should find them. I've never seen the manga/guide ones online though, so no luck there probably (one of my favorites is reading how he was all geared up to see Se7en in theaters, but then some jerk yelled out the twist while he was getting a haircut. That's too good a twist to spoil!).
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I like the filler arcs for Naruto/Shippuden. The question I have is the filler created by the original creator or is it by the anime studio?
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
spoiler[Part 2 was supposed to be shorter than Part 1 (could happen, but if it does, it'll be a difference by only a few chapters).]

Does that mean spoiler[there's a possibility of a Part 3?]

doctordoom85 wrote:
spoiler[I also wonder if Kishi might be suffering from personal problems, the last few arcs have generally been downbeat and arguably depressing (especially this week's chapter, in which a villain pretty much laid down the harsh reality of war)].

spoiler[OH PLEASE, It was just your average cliched "we're not so different, you and I" villain speech.] Rolling Eyes

BellosTheMighty wrote:
I think the people who merely wave their hand dismissively, say "Bah, filler!", and casually discard more than a third of the series- over forty hours of story, some of it good and most of it at least serviceable- are missing out.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BellosTheMighty wrote:
When reading a story, you should concentrate on the story it is, rather than the story it's not.

... Except it isn't the actual story..
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
Does that mean spoiler[there's a possibility of a Part 3?]

spoiler[OH PLEASE, It was just your average cliched "we're not so different, you and I" villain speech.] Rolling Eyes

- No, Kishi has already said there won't be a Part 3, and there wouldn't really be a proper story set-up for it as of now anyway.

-(manga spoilers) spoiler[except he arguably has a point, even Naruto can't think of an instant retort to this. Naruto's never really been exposed to this kind of harsh reality, so it's new terrain for him. Play the "cliche" card if you want, but it's one that's still effective (in the immortal words of TvTropes "tropes aren't necessarily a bad thing").

Not to mention they AREN'T so different, seeing as the prophecy could referred to either one of them, it's just Naruto took the correct path. Generally, villains say this with no objective evidence because they ultimately have different goals, this time Pain actually has a point, "you go this way, I go that way, but at the end of the day, don't we both want the same thing?". Yes, yes they do.

Plus, he's saying all this after offing three, maybe four (as far as I'm concerned, Kakashi's fate is still up in the air), named characters, and blowing up Naruto's entire hometown (which really slams home just how tragic Itachi was who wanted to protect Konoha and prevent a worldwide conflict. If a third ninja world war starts, which seems likely, then his only wish to come true can be Sasuke's redemption). Kinda makes you pay attention to him more compared to other villains, he has the bite to back up his bark.]
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:

BellosTheMighty wrote:
When reading a story, you should concentrate on the story it is, rather than the story it's not.

That's what I JUST SAID. Pay attention! *dope slap* What you call the "actual story" is the aforementioned "story it's not", the canon material that you wish you were watching. You can harp on the fact that it's not the story you want and lose out on any chance of enjoying it, or you can accept it on it's own terms and maybe find something there worth seeing. If you don't at least give it a chance, you're condemning yourself to find it unenjoyable.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
rockman nes wrote:

BellosTheMighty wrote:

That's what I JUST SAID. Pay attention! *dope slap* What you call the "actual story" is the aforementioned "story it's not", the canon material that you wish you were watching. You can harp on the fact that it's not the story you want and lose out on any chance of enjoying it

... Except I (and many, many others) DON'T ENJOY THEM. And there's a legitimate reason why: Because they're terrible. We don't like them just because they're not canon. They're just poorly written (like the Nadia Island episodes). There is no chance of me enjoying the fillers and I strongly doubt I'm doing myself a disservice. End of story.

Only the most blindly reverent Naruto fan could get any enjoyability out of seeing something like this:

Look, I think it's best to just stop arguing. It isn't getting us anywhere.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
rockman nes wrote:

BellosTheMighty wrote:

That's what I JUST SAID. Pay attention! *dope slap* What you call the "actual story" is the aforementioned "story it's not", the canon material that you wish you were watching. You can harp on the fact that it's not the story you want and lose out on any chance of enjoying it

... Except I (and many, many others) DON'T ENJOY THEM. And there's a legitimate reason why: Because they're terrible. We don't like them just because they're not canon. They're just poorly written (like the Nadia Island episodes). There is no chance of me enjoying the fillers and I strongly doubt I'm doing myself a disservice. End of story.

That's fine by me, but people go on acting like they're inferior by nature, and bash them without even bothering to try finding the enjoyment. Writers deserve to have their work looked at objectively, and not live in the shadow of something else.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Writers deserve to have their work looked at objectively

Then those writers better prepare to be disappointed, since one can only view a work with their own subjective opinion. With Naruto filler, you can objectively say, "it's filler and non-canon from the manga", and that's it. Everything else is opinion.

I try to find enjoyment in anime as well, but aside from the first Shippuden arc, some of the movies, the final Part 1 filler arc, and some of the "find the bug" arc, I don't care for the Naruto filler.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
What # episodes are these?

Ah man, I'll get back to you in the coming days. It would take a while to figure out, and I'd rather spend my time with some other things first. Wink[/quote]

Thanks. I'm sure others will appreciate it as well. I can't be the only one that wants to skip over the filler.

Josh7289 wrote:

By the way, freaking amazing avatar. Thanks for that! Cool

Apparently, some Japanese guy saw this Mr. Satan looking guy riding the train and got a picture of him on his cell phone.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Writers deserve to have their work looked at objectively

Then those writers better prepare to be disappointed, since one can only view a work with their own subjective opinion. With Naruto filler, you can objectively say, "it's filler and non-canon from the manga", and that's it. Everything else is opinion.

I try to find enjoyment in anime as well, but aside from the first Shippuden arc, some of the movies, the final Part 1 filler arc, and some of the "find the bug" arc, I don't care for the Naruto filler.

Well even though i enjoy it preety much,i really can't blame you unfortunately. However the Shukaku arc which was the final epsiodes were interesting enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3