• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Final Roster + Guide.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been following the latter half of the intelligence tournament but it's been a while since I voted for anything on ANN. I'll try to do that as much as possible this time since I'm backing up these characters for the nomination:

Ai Tanabe Planetes
Vash the Stampede Trigun
Dr. Tenma Monster
Utena Tenjo Revolutionary Girl Utena
Soichiro Yagami Death Note
Daisuke Aramaki Ghost in Shell Franchise
Yoko Nakajima The Twelve Kingdoms
Nausicaa Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Shurei Kou/Hong The Story of Saiunkoku

I think I'm going to have to vote against Brandon Heat from Gungrave as I'm not really sure you can call him a hero. The guy is extremely loyal to the people he loves but he tends to let that loyalty get in the way of his decision-making spoiler[(like how he couldn't bring himself to shoot Harry the first time even though it was clear he was going to wreck havoc within Millennion)] and besides, he let that loyalty lead him into the mafia in the first place where he ends up constantly doing something he hates ie killing people. For me, he's just too indicisive and passive to be a hero. I'm also voting against Fee and Hachi from Planetes and Totuda Matsuda from Death Note.

Can't think of any other nominees at the moment. Will post later if I do.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Seconding:
Shu Maritani from Now and Then, Here and There: He went through so much and stayed optimistic all the way through.
Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist : He suffered and lost so much but neve gave you on trying to help restore his brother's body.
Kamina from Gurren Lagann: He was head strong and inspiring. Definitely my hero of 2008.

Opposing:
Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass: he was nothing but a self rightious character to contrast Lelouch. He had no real heroic roll in the whole series. Plus spoiler[He becomes a jerk in season 2. He trues over Lelouch to Emperor Charles Zi Britannia. And he tries to blame Lelouch for everything that happens.]

Nominating:
Kaneda from Akira: He risked his life to try and save his friend. Even though everyone seemed to be trying to stop him, he just kept trying. Quite inspiring. Also, he always seemed to know what to do, when the time came to do it, even when it was hard.
Spike from Cowboy Bebop: He went after and stopped plenty of "villains", if you will, and never gave up. He is one of the coolest guys in anime history. Plus spoiler[he kind of saves the world in the movie.] He's an over all hero in my eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Backing:

Simon from Gurren Lagann. Kamina was certainly his inspiration, but over the course of the series Simon far surpassed his Bro.

Ai and Fee from Planetes. Can't see how you can say that Fee was just doing her job. There were several times in the series that she went beyond that and against the orders of her superiors in order to do what's right.

Against:

Ginko from Mushishi and Spike from Cowboy Bebop. Love the characters, but I think they were just doing their jobs as a mushishi and a bounty hunter, so I can't see any of their actions being that heroic.

Matsuda from Death Note.

Nominating:

Kadomatsu Yosuke from Zipang. He had a very strong sense of right and wrong, and he was always willing to do whatever it takes (even spoiler[ altering history]) to save lives, no matter which side of the war they were on.

Kikuchiyo from Samurai 7. He may not have had the skills or the heritage of a samurai, but more than any of the seven he had the heart.

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Symmetrical_Magician wrote:
Syaoran Li of Tsubasa Chronicle, He demonstrates courage and compassion throughout the series, attempting to gain the strength needed to succeed and proving fiercely protective of all his friends. I mean, spoiler[he decides to travel through multiple different worlds and collect the scattered pieces of his loved one's soul, despite the fact that she will no longer remember him.] If that is not an example of amazing willpower and courage, I simply do not know what is.

I have to vote AGAINST Syaoran from Tsubasa Chronicle in the Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations it's revealed that in fact he is spoiler[a heartless clone which was created by Fei Wong Reed so as to collect all the feathers. The heart of the clone belonged to the real Syaoran, who was in the tube. The heartless clone gouges Fay's eye out and joins Fei Wong Reed.]

That's true. I did think about that. Despite that, I still consider him when people talk about being "heroic," so I was hoping for some way around that.

But I guess there isn't one. ^^;
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to vote against Spike for similar reasons to why people are voting against Lupin. He's a bounty hunter. That's really not very heroic to me.
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:
Monkey D. Luffy, One Piece
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin
Simon, Gurren Lagann

Nominating:
Karasu, Noein. Being a spoiler[ version of Yuu from the future], Karasu has always loved spoiler[ Haruka, but he lost the Haruka from his dimension. ] After he and the Dragon Knights come to our dimension,spoiler[ he realizes that what they were searching for was Haruka, and that he could never stand to lose her again. As a result, he does everything he can to protect her], including spoiler[fighting former friends and allies], and spoiler[forsaking his entire dimension, which he deemed doomed anyways. ]
guet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:
One Piece
Monkey D. Luffy: Luffy should go far in this tournament. Honestly, this guy is pretty much the standard in my mind for heroics.

Gurenn Lagann
Simon: If anything, Simon is at least as worthy as Kamina. I have to agree that heroics don't come as easy for him, but despite this, he shows time and time again that he has what it takes to be a true hero.

Kamina: Kamina is a big damn hero in his own right. It's probably his defining character.

GTO
Onizuka: Teaching takes a form of heroics, but Onizuka carries it to the next level. A bit over the top at times, his heart is always in the right place and several times he shows he is even willing to cross lines to help his students.

Monster
Dr. Kenzo Tenma: He qualifies, he will not let people suffer, no matter the cost to himself.

To Aru Majutsu no Index
Tohma Kamijo: Because of his circumstances, heroics are shown to be a part of who he is at the core.

Rurouni Kenshin
Kenshin Himura: Seeking a way to atone for violence is a heroic thing to do. Also, the idea that he suffers for things he did without malice shows the true depth of his character.

Dennou Coil
Yuuko Okonogi (Yasako): I just finished this series last night, and the amount of courage and determination this girl shows during some seriously dangerous situations is impressive to say the least.

Full Metal Panic
Sousuke Sagara: This guy is so heroic, it becomes a joke on several levels.

Nominating:
D. Gray-man:
Lenalee Lee: Even more so than Allen, I believe that Lelalee qualifies. Her friends are her world, and several times during the series she shows the ability to protect that world at great cost to herself. Even at the times when she is powerless, she never hesitates to do what is right.

Berserk
Judeau: Besides just saving others in the nick of time, Judeau shows great personal strength by stopping himself from acting on feelings he has, mainly because of friendship and respect. Also, he shows a willingness to sacrifice himself to save those he cares about. In a series about revenge, war, and desperation, Judeau is a bright spot of heroics in a very dark world.

Opposing:
Code Geass
Suzaku Kururugi Really? Major spoilers:spoiler[Murdered his father, betrayed his friends, used a weapon of mass destruction to take countless lives.]

Edits: fixed tags and a few mistakes.

Last edited by guet on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
blazingeyes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I've never voted in a forum before but the last one got me interested. So here's my nominations.

Supporting:
Kenshin Himura Rurouni Kenshin
Vash Trigun
Tohma Kamijo To aru majutsu no Index
Sousuke Sagara Full Metal Panic
Eikichi Onizuka GTO
Kamina Gurren Lagann
Naruto Uzumaki Naruto
Karasu Noein

I'm also nominating:
Misaki Kirihara Darker than Black She's always trying to save people, even though she's up against others who wouldn't think twice about killing her. Her whole life revolves around helping those too weak to help themselves.
Sakata Gintoki Gintama Even though he's been a lazy idiot in the few episodes I've seen, he'll always help anyone though it takes him a while to do it.

Voting against:
Ginko Mushi-shi He's not really heroic, he just swings throug life doing his job.
Spike Cowboy Bebop Again, he's just doing his job.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Seconding:
Balsa from Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit
For Balsa, being a bodyguard isn't just a job, it's a personal mission; one to atone for past transgressions spoiler[that she wasn't even directly responsible for]. From the very start she displays her admirable qualities by diving into a river to rescue the young princess about whom she knows nothing. The strength of her conviction to only protect life - never taking it - is shown when an assassin puts her in a position that makes this moral stance increasingly difficult to maintain and we see how emotionally unstable this makes her.

Duck (Princess Tutu) - From the beginning, she acts out of love for Mytho, knowing full well she can never be the object of his true love. She readily assists Rue, who should be her rival, in becoming closer to him, because she believes that will make them both happy (see the episode with the bonfire festival).

Pacifica Casull (Scrapped Princess) - Like Duck, knowing full well her fate, she seeks peace and happiness for others, even at loss to herself.

Ai Tanabe (Planetes) - She starts off as a wide-eyed idealist, but especially towards the end of the series, the trials she is put through, physically and morally, prove that she deserves to be here.

Keiichi Maebara (When They Cry) - Insanity induced murder aside, Keiichi is the leader of the group of friends who manages to ultimately bring about the ending they desire.

Simon (Gurren Lagann) - For the same reason as Hibiki.

Sana Kurata (Kodocha) - While usually hyperactive and zany, when Sana is serious, she can display a maturity beyond her age. She is looked to with admiration and respect by many of her classmates, and the change she brought about to Hayama's family is nothing short of incredible.

Hibiki Tokai (Vandread) - Starting off as a whiny nobody in search of his own identity, Hibiki grows into a hero and a leader who repeatedly shows his friends and allies the importance and true meaning of being a man.

Against:
Kaneda (Akira) - Stopping Tetsuo was the right choice, but Kaneda never really seemed to be acting in the interest of general betterment. More like a situation where he knew his former friend had to be stopped and only he could do it.

Fee Carmichael (Planetes) - She's kind of an everyday hero, but not any more than anyone else in the show. She has moments when she uses her position as captain to buy Ai some time to follow through on her ideals, but her really big moment - saving the space station - was all about how she was pissed off that she kept being prevented from getting her nicotine fix. Very much not heroic.

Haciroto "Hachimaki" Hoshino (Planetes) - For pretty much the same reasons as Fee, except replace the space station incident with saving the Jupiter ship because he had become obsessed with that idea.

Rosette Christopher (Chrono Crusade) - I'm pretty sure this is actually going to backfire and inspire more people to support her, as I'm aware my dislike of Rosette is borderline irrational, but, whatever. Rosette's motivation is always about herself, or one of the two people she loves. She's not working for the betterment of mankind, she's trying to find her brother, and because that is her top priority, she often acts without thinking about other consequences, which directly leads to widespread devastation. Nice job breaking it, hero.

Ginko (Mushi-shi) - He's just kind of a doctor, and he's often just as interested in the mushi as the people.

Yuichi Aizawa (Kanon) & Ryuuji (Toradora) - What? Yeah, they're nice guys, they even go to distant lengths for people, but those people are their close friends. Heroes go above and beyond for people they barely know. These guys are just likable protagonists.

I want to vote against Emiya Shiro, but I can't really justify it. Technically he's doing the right things for selfless reasons, but it's done in such a sexist way, and he's so ineffective about it spoiler[until he suddenly pulls a couple levels of badass out of nowhere, no, training with Saber doesn't count because he wasn't dual-wielding knives then]. I'll just hope he gets bumped out early.
farichada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:

Kurau
Kurau: Phantom Memory

Super powers: check. Ability to kick ass: check. Caring and honorable personality: check. Kurau has the whole package. She does fight against the police, but it is established that they are very corrupt. Her unwavering commitment to protect and care for Christmas is never questioned. You can also tell that she has a good heart, and a clear set of morals even though she is by no means a pacifist.

Lelouch Code Geass

Though morally jaded at times, he is morally sound when it counts. Unlike Light, he has a conscience and people that he cares about it. In the end, he feels the only way he can make the world a better place is to spoiler[ sacrifice himself] -- talk about being selfless. His goal? To make the world a better place for his sister by destroying the corrupt Brittanian empire -- sure he does a few Machiavellian things along the way to do this, but what's kicking the dog a few times in order to crush a corrupt world power? Light wouldspoiler[ never sacrifice his own life], but, even so, I doubt he would go further than one or two rounds though. I also honestly believe that Lelouch wanted to make the world a better place regardless of how you may think he is misguided or idealistic. A world without war is also a noble goal too -- but also a bit idealistic. Noble goals, but less noble means - sure he's not perfect, but good enough.

I was thinking about nominating Christmas for her personality and ideals, but I decided against it at the last minute. It is also true that she spoiler[ develops powers later on in the series. ]

Seconding:

Dr. Tenma Monster
Daisuke Aramaki Ghost in Shell Franchise
Suzaku Kururugi Code Geass
Vash the Stampede Trigun
Belldandy, Ah My Goddess!
Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket

Voting against
Lupin Lupin franchise - Thieves, even ones who act like gentlemen, are not honorable under any circumstances. And he's too much of a goofball with all of his shenanigans with Fujiko.

Onizuka GTO- While perhaps worthy as a borderline contestant, his lecherous moral nature far outweighs his good intentions. He may have a heart of gold, but even at his best he is only a chivalrous pervert.

Matsuda
, Death Note - No! This guy is just a pin headed pansy. Yea sure, he spoiler[shoots Light] but that's about the only ballsy thing that ever does. Other than that, he's an incompetent woobie.

Last edited by farichada on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
Tenchi Masaki, Tenchi Muyo, Ryo Ohki OVAs
I refer solely to the OVAs because I have not seen the other continuaties of the franchise. Despite having his life turned upside-down by many uninvited housemates, he's nothing but a class act in relating to them. And when something threatens them or their way of life, he's willing spoiler[to rely on powers he doesn't fully understand or control to save the day.] (spoiler tagged just in case.

Seconding:
Karasu, Noein
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm officially going to hold off seconding and voting against things until Key gets a list up. It makes my head spin trying to remember who needs it and who doesn't... Anime dazed

Besides, nominations like sugarplums are dancing in my head... Laughing

NOMINATING (AGAIN)

Franz D'epinay, Gankutsuou -- A minor inclusion, maybe, but certainly he needs to be included, as he's a guy from the Tohru Honda school of heroism. He's not strong or very smart, anything like that, but he constantly puts the well-being of his friends above his own. He rescues Valentine from a deathtrap and encourages the love between her and Maximilien. He tries to protect Eugenie and Albert from the dastardly plots surrounding them, and gives all he has physically and financially to rescue Albert from the thugs at the beginning of the show. He may not get center-stage, but he's the most heroic and selfless character in the show and a striking example of putting loved ones' well-being before your own feelings or even your own safety.

Toboe, Wolf's Rain -- As long as I'm nominating "weakling heroes," I should definitely mention Toboe too. He's like Kiba but with more compassion for others. He knows he doesn't have much to offer in a journey where one misstep means failure or death, but he gives his all anyway and raises up so many other characters from destructive lives (Tsume, Hige, Quent, even Blue to a smaller extent) that I think he's well worth mentioning. Besides, when things get really hairy, he can summon the strength to take down a 20-foot walrus, so he MUST be all heart.

Hakuoro, Utawarerumono -- A strategian with an iron will in battle and a soft heart for his adopted people. Actually, he's such a "good guy" that some have complained it makes him a bit boring, but that doesn't change the fact that he's completely selfless, brave, wild and admirable. (Boring comes with hero territory, I think. S'why Wolfwood is more popular than Vash despite the fact both are huge fandom characters and Wolfwood gets this much screentime.)

Oboro, Utawarerumono -- A minor player, but with a strict code of honor, great devotion to his sister and twin servants, and greatly respected by many despite his age. So, okay, he's a little hotheaded, but he manages not to pull a Kouga/Inu Yasha and become a crazy/annoying douche. His hotheadedness is entirely attributed to his fervor to protect his people.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
Siegfried Kircheis from Legend of the Galactic Heroes
He is Reinhard’s best friend that like Yang Wan-li prefers the enemy to surrender or withdraw rather than slaughter them. He can be perceived as a Reinhard’s conscience because of his disapproval of dubious methods that could be used in order to topple the Kaiser or help to defeat any enemy. Eventually, spoiler[he has given his life to protect Reinhard from an assassination attempt.]

Seconding:
Balsa Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

Voting against:
Lelouch Code Geass Do I really have to say why? Here is a good reason. spoiler[He annihilated the Geass order. Yes, the experiments, that they were doing, were morally wrong. Still, they were civilians that can not even be counted as a battle that was genocide.]

[EDIT: Please use appropriate spoiler tags in the future - Key]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
So, people, if you're going to edit your posts to add new nominations, seconding motions, or opposition, don't. Make a new post instead, that way Key or the rest of us acting as unofficial vote-counters won't be thrown off. I'm 95% certain Lelouch wasn't there the first time I passed farichada's post.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
Matsuda, Death Note - No! This guy is just a pin headed pansy. Yea sure, he spoiler[shoots Light] but that's about the only ballsy thing that ever does. Other than that, he's an incompetent woobie.

Well that's unfair. Yes, he isn't hero material, and I don't believe he belongs in the tournament. However, to assert that he is a "pansy", and that he only did a single brave act, is completely false. And you know it. Don't go round misinformation please. There are plenty of areas Matsuda fails in without you having to resort to that sort of reasoning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 33