• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ageless Beauty

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agoston

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:

What about the Shantae sequel? That's right there is big news...

Didn't mean to leave it out, just never played the original. Platformer for GBC, right? How'd you like it?
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
The fact that the new Sonic game is currently "Project Needlemouse" only makes me that much more hopeful.

Haros have appeared in Gundam 00 too as technological support.
QXZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
The game's title and ratings-board description suggest a 2-D game in the tradition of the early straightforward side-scrolling Castlevanias ... Here's the problem: I don't like the older Castlevanias. In fact, I think that the series was stricken with poor play mechanics and horrible pacing until 1993's Rondo of Blood.

Amen. Although my favorite Castlevania game -- and the only one I fully respect -- happens to be Bloodlines on the Genesis. (I'm not too keen to the original Rondo of Blood, but only because I have the PSP port. No comment on the SNES games, though.)

On personal levels, I've found few, if any, of the Castlevania games I've played to be as good as everyone claims.

Example 1: Dracula's Curse on the NES. Everyone and their brothers (maybe also their sisters) seems to love that game, but it has one game-breaking feature the first game had -- damage issued based on level, not by enemy type. It's something I could never find myself overlooking. If a crow deals me two hit points' worth of damage in the first level of a game, there's no reason I should be dealt four hit points' damage in the game's final level. That, simply, is an example of bad design. As an NES game, it looks great and sounds just as good, but that's all.

Example 2: Symphony of the Night and the later games following its formula. I could rip SotN and its kin in any number of ways, but their mimicries of Metroid are the biggest sticking point. Heck, if I want to play Metroid, I'll play Metroid.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
It's been over a decade since I last got excited over a new Sonic game, and I don't intend to break that record now.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Dual Language options on a Japanese blu-ray game released in the west 1-2 years later feels very familiar to the way anime DVDs were released to the scene back in the early 00s.

Ah, nostalgia. I may have stopped collecting anime DVDs (can't really find the justification to start anew on Blu-Ray because of slim pickings... plus most of the niche shows had their heyday on DVD before the licensing companies went under). But collecting Blu-Ray games renewed the obsessive compulsive impulse collector in me, much like CDs and DVDs did back in the day when the formats were still new.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
sfried wrote:

What about the Shantae sequel? That's right there is big news...

Didn't mean to leave it out, just never played the original. Platformer for GBC, right? How'd you like it?
If you're looking for a solid action platformer, look no further than WayForward's first original outing.
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Article writer should've looked around a bit more before posting this. "Like other Japanese PlayStation 3 games, it's region-free, and that should please fans who don't want to wait for its likely North American release."

Been confirmed to have a feb release date in US as well, same day if i recall correctly. No point in importing..unless you wanna spend MORE money.

Yeah, Square Enix sent me a press release about that the day after this article went up. I hate when that happens.

Another exciting news story: The first dubbed trailer for Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love. It is amazing.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
NIER

WHAT. Square makes (spinoff from DMC) action games now? Rolling Eyes Well, hopefully it's not on Unreal3 engine.

Also, the blood splatted effects in the trailer looked just HORRIBLE.

But at least it makes for a fun title to follow to see American censorship on the games...
ShinGundam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
NIER

WHAT. Square makes (spinoff from DMC) action games now? Rolling Eyes Well, hopefully it's not on Unreal3 engine.

No, Cavia makes Nier not square itself
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3