• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters: No More Bakuman Plans, Anime May Go to Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
If Bakuman had poor sales for them, why are they thinking that SZS is 50/50 for getting released? I would think SZS is an even more niche title than Bakuman (although I do know its niche audience is very enthusiastic about the title).
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Everything comes down to sales. That's just how things work. If a title is not selling, its best to drop it before it wastes more time and resources. Its unfortunate, but illogical to continue to produce a product that will not make a profit. I can think of a dozen licensed manga titles that have been dropped by the US companies without printing the whole series because they didn't sell well.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
my main question for them is about Squid Girl season 2. They answered me awhile back on facebook saying they planned to release it but that was awhile back and we have had zero info since.

The first DVD volume has been solicited with a release date of March 12, 2013.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
say what you will about funi but at least they release all the episodes that they license.

No they don't. There are plently of series Funimation didn't finish. But they pick up a lot of shorter series

Yeah, fans of Case Closed & Shin Chan would beg to differ. Funi has done the same thing with those that Media Blasters is doing with Bakuman. Putting them in license limbo until the license expires due to initial releases not selling that well.

Well, Conan is around 700 episodes (and still going!) and Shin-chan has around that same amount as well. I don't think you could place near as much fault on FUNi for stopping the release of those than you can with Viz for stopping Full Moon o Sagashite (52 episodes), Hikaru no Go (75 episodes), Monster (74 episodes), and I'm sure if you go further back then there are probably more.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think a change of dubbing studio would be to this show's benefit. The English dub that Media Blasters produced was, in all honesty, awful. Many of the actor choices were extremely poor (Michael Sinterniklaas as Mashiro was very out-of-place), Takagi's actor couldn't act, the dub directing was slipshod, and the script left in far too many untranslated Japanese terms to be desirable. While I do think it was a nice touch to cast Chris "Kirbopher" Niosi as Hattori, the dub as a whole felt more like one of those dubbing efforts you'd more normally see from the early 1990s from Central Park Media rather than a modern-day dub.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
say what you will about funi but at least they release all the episodes that they license.

No they don't. There are plently of series Funimation didn't finish. But they pick up a lot of shorter series

Yeah, fans of Case Closed & Shin Chan would beg to differ. Funi has done the same thing with those that Media Blasters is doing with Bakuman. Putting them in license limbo until the license expires due to initial releases not selling that well.

As for Sentai or Funimation getting it, who knows if they were offered it and passed on it? Viz might be the last chance it has of getting a release here. Although considering how Viz has handled most of the stuff they get, I expect this to be streaming only.

What I think tangytangerine ment was...
In the case of Shin-Chan, FUNi licensed 3 seasons, and they put those out. They never licensed the rest of the show. Same for Case Closed, D.Gray Man, Big Windup, and xxxHolic. There might be something that they did license and started putting out, but never finished. I can't think of any though. Maybe Kodacha?

edit: I ment everydaygamer, not tangytangerine. Too many quote boxes...

Last edited by PBsallad on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Seems like decent news to me. If Viz [Or really, anyone else] gets Bakuman then it will at least be streamed. I love the manga but I've been iffy about how it would translate to the screen and want to be able to watch it legally before buying. Or at the least, just be able to watch it legally.

It is interesting that the rumors of Bakuman being licensed by Viz might be true though. Not entirely sure why they of all people would license something another company flat out gave up on.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Give it to VIZ, it will make a good dub and release it on blu ray....everyone happy?~~~
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
In the case of Shin-Chan, FUNi licensed 3 seasons, and they put those out. They never licensed the rest of the show. Same for Case Closed, D.Gray Man, Big Windup, and xxxHolic. There might be something that they did license and started putting out, but never finished. I can't think of any though. Maybe Kodacha?
An example you could use isn't from Funimation, but from Sentai, but they licensed Glass Mask and only placed out the first half of the series, the second half still in limbo.

If that helps in this case.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Though i am sad they aren't releasing more Bakuman i am glad i was at least able to support them by buying their only release of it. I don't wanna see them go Crying or Very sad
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
my main question for them is about Squid Girl season 2. They answered me awhile back on facebook saying they planned to release it but that was awhile back and we have had zero info since.

The first DVD volume has been solicited with a release date of March 12, 2013.

Yeah someone pointed that out to me on Facebook. They must have just recently put that up cause I had looked about a week ago when I was doing my pre orders for the upcoming year and I didn't see it.

Here's hoping it comes out and it would be nice if they get a Blu-ray out there at some point although I'm not holding my breath,
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
PBsallad wrote:
An example you could use isn't from Funimation, but from Sentai, but they licensed Glass Mask and only placed out the first half of the series, the second half still in limbo.

If that helps in this case.

That's not a good example either because they never had the entire series to begin with, just the first half. Same thing happened with Golgo 13 but unlike Glass Mask, Golgo's good sales got them to get the rest of the episodes and finish the show's dub & DVD release here.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'm the only one that seemed to think the dub was good, seeing as I'm not bloody comparing the English to the Japanese
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
They must have just recently put that up cause I had looked about a week ago when I was doing my pre orders for the upcoming year and I didn't see it.

Correct. It was only a few days ago that it went up on TRSI.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Guess I'm the only one that seemed to think the dub was good, seeing as I'm not bloody comparing the English to the Japanese

Has anyone really flat out compared it on this thread though? I saw a bit of the first ep to see how the voices went and they didn't sound that great at all to me - this is coming from an avid sub defender who hasn't seen the Bakuman subs.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if whoever rescues it keeps the dub though - its already half finished at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4