• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster (TV) [Dub Broadcast].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
If the doctor is a tried-and-true, hippocratic oath following doctor, he would never allow himself to be saved at the expense of another. The only way I see it happening is if the other castaways decide to subdue him and forcibly administer the treatment.

Okay, well, let's work with that. Should the others chose to save the doctor or the old man?

But really, though, how is endangering nine people less immoral than breaking your Hippocratic Oath?

rainbowcourage wrote:
The best part of Monster is that there are no good answers.

Very, very much so.

rainbowcourage wrote:
spoiler[The question is if his atonement can ever outweigh what he's done--which is probably not, but we don't have enough information to know.]

spoiler[I don't think it's supposed to matter. What's done is done, revenge is futile and detrimental, and any atonement, no matter how small and incomparable to the wrongdoings the person has performed, is unequivocally a good thing.]

rainbowcourage wrote:
arachneia wrote:

Yes, but justice itself presumes to decide whether one gets to keep his "equality"; otherwise, would we punish crime by putting people away in order to "protect" the rest of the population? This itself makes the judgment of the innocent deserving more than the guilty, which is essentially what I am saying.

Any way to rephrase this? I can't wrap my head around that last sentence.

Sorry. I meant that by deciding that certain individuals should be removed from the society for the benefit of the society (let's say, for example, serial rapists), we are putting the needs of certain people (the society) above others (the rapists). This is judging people according to their merit; so whether the stripping of their rights is forceful, or whether they are considered to have forfeited their rights by harming another, the end result is that their well-being will be put aside (by the law) for the sake of the innocent. (I hope this makes it clearer?)

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the way legal systems usually work is more analogous, in practice, to Eva's mindset than to Tenma's.

Kelly wrote:
That's a whole different story, and was repulsive in the extreme. Eva was no better, and deserves to get hitched to a guy who looses everything in the stock market and stuck in a situation where she can't get divorced.

I find it very interesting when people wish horrible things upon people they find callous.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[When Tenma choose not to operate the Turkish man, he was being criminally reckless. I theorize this because I am applying things I learned in my criminal justice class to this.] I should face palm myself because I read on it's WikiPedia entry that Tenma is a reference to Astro Boy's (Tetsuwan Atom for purists) Dr. Tenma. I don't know why I didn't pick up on this earlier.
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover: Yeah don't feel bad. It took me until very recently to figure out that Dr.Tenma in Monster is named after Dr. Tenma in Astro Boy. In fact it took those commercials for the CGI movie of Astro Boy to do it. Despite knowing Urasawa is a fan of Tezuka... I felt like DUHHH, but now I don't feel so bad since you didn't realize it either lol.
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
spoiler[When Tenma choose not to operate the Turkish man, he was being criminally reckless. I theorize this because I am applying things I learned in my criminal justice class to this.]

Why the spoilers? That's like the first fifteen minutes of the show. He didn't really choose not to operate, though, he was reassigned. But I suppose it's all the same from that type of perspective.

So, anyway, thoughts on episodes 3 and 4:

Johann's voice is very grating. It sounds like they were trying to recreate the pitch and timber of the original, which is I guess laudable, but the delivery was simply too hammy. He had about as much subtlety as Pegasus from Yugioh. I was also not pleased with Eva's shrill crying, or the fact that so much has been cut.

On the positive side, O'Brien is growing on me (still nowhere near Kiuchi, but I think he is aiming for a slightly different interpretation of the character, which is fine). Becker is actually really good - he sounds too young, but his delivery is great.

Very disappointed by the "Lunge." Oh well.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:

So, anyway, thoughts on episodes 3 and 4:

Johann's voice is very grating. It sounds like they were trying to recreate the pitch and timber of the original, which is I guess laudable, but the delivery was simply too hammy. He had about as much subtlety as Pegasus from Yugioh. I was also not pleased with Eva's shrill crying, or the fact that so much has been cut.

On the positive side, O'Brien is growing on me (still nowhere near Kiuchi, but I think he is aiming for a slightly different interpretation of the character, which is fine). Becker is actually really good - he sounds too young, but his delivery is great.

Very disappointed by the "Lunge." Oh well.

Yeah I'm not buying Johan's voice...yet. But it takes actors time to get used to their characters, perhaps that will improve with time? Who was that playing Johan anyway? I didn't like it that much.

O'Brien is getting better and better! He is totally kicking ass in this dub! Lunge, played by Richard Epcar is also really, really good. Not sure what your getting at. He's creepy, odd, and cold. Just like the dude. That voice fits him perfectly, and just the way he talks...it all works. I;ve never head Richard Epcar like this before. In Lupin III and Gits SAC he was much warmer then this . Nice change of pace...

Eva's voice is perfect as well. I thought she was doing a good job and fit the character.
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Why, I'm getting at the famous "Lunge" vs "Runge" controversy.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
^ I could have sworn you said something before about that character sounding flat and boring or something like that. I thought you were talking about that. Ah I get what you mean now though, the way to pronounce his name. I'm an idiot, it's ok...

Someone must have said that though...Perhaps in the page about the dub preview?
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Not me, surely. I find it very refreshing that there is one person in the cast who is not overreacting.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah he is one of my favorites in the dub so far, maybe even better then O'Brien. Gata agree with you there man. And I am really not likeing Johan so far. Not at all. Like really that's it? That's the voice of evil? Not to make fun of the actor (who is it btw?), but he sort of feels like he's coming on to Tenma or something...

Eh not the voice I pictured at all. Also he seems way to menacing for me. I thought he'd be way more calm, cool, collective, and just act superoir to everything. spoiler[Just killa guy, not seem evil about it you know?] Act a little emotionless too. Then again I never watched/read the series so (only read volume 1 of the manga then stopped to wait for the anime)...it's just an opinion/feeling I got while reading the first volume of the manga awhile back. But like I said he will probally get better as the show goes along.

But I'm being way to critical of the dub. It's not bad or anything, I am really am enjoying it. It's much better then what it could have been. Although I still think this should have gone to Ocean in Vancouver. Would have sounded nice next to Master Keaton. Nana, Black Lagoon, and Death Note all amazed me recently from that studio, and I would have loved if this went there too...shame really.

Random thought: Anyone else notice that Vincent Law (Ergo Proxy), Dr.Tenma, and Detective Maniwa (Paranoia Agent) all look (a little) alike and are all played by O'Brien? Just throwing that out there.
coldspider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
Quick question to everybody:

Is there any site out there streaming the English dub? I checked SyFy's site and they don't have the show available for streaming and Manga's youtube channel has Monster episodes but it doesn't look like they have the two I missed on Monday.

Argh,gotta make sure I set my DVR next time.....
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Sadly no I don't think it's streaming. Viz promised it would be on Hulu after the SfFy airing, but they never put it up there. I think they changed their minds, and decided to put episodes on iTunes after each episode airs instead. So you could watch it there...

Manga Ent does have the first episode playing on their website though, on youtube is just clips of the show.
arachneia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Youtube is streaming it.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
Youtube is streaming it.

Really? *goes to check* last time I checked they just had clips of the show.

Edit: The only have the first episode up. Just like their official website. Sad

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=rn0rlxmJAqo
http://www.manga.com/titles/naoki-urasawa039s-monster
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
I am not doing this for a recommendation, however, the only place I have seen have episodes 3-4 is a dub streaming site. However, Viz needs to put them up on Hulu so this can be avoided somewhat.

What is the name of the nurse that is played by Megan Hollingshead (though she is known for Naruto's Shizune and Bleach's Rangiku, her most claim to fame was doing the first 6 Pokemon seasons as Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy. Her other most famous role was Mai in Yugioh up to the end of the Battle City Arc. Bella Hudson did Mai's remaining appearances because Megan moved to Los Angeles).
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
first post updated
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11