• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Call Me Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Man this is an oldie. I remember this when it was first advertised in the now defunct anime OVA (only) publication 'Anime-V'. I originally thought that this was a 'Cream Lemon' production based on it's look. Not to mention 'Cream Lemon' was all the rage during that time. 'Anime-V always had a sealed section for the latest 'CL' titles. So when I saw clips from 'Call Me Tonight', of course I assumed it was part of their series.

I was always curious about checking out this title. I managed to locate a fansub version I have yet to watch it. I did not expect this title to surface again much less fansubbed.

Considering the time of 'CPM's reign, and how they spent quite a bit of time delving into the adult market (even some "non-hentai" vintage titles) it's surprising that they never considered any of these series for acquisition. While niche, definitely an interest to oldschool collectors.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
David.Seth wrote:
btw, when are you going to review Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou aka Quite Country Cafe? Cool

Okay, I'll give it a spin. It's been on my pile for years, and I was always scared of it because of how slow it looked.

Unbelievable. Something I've seen that Justin hasn't yet. Definitely recommended and worth it for two episodes, but yes, there's a reason Quiet is in the title.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:
It was a tentacle rape joke that won the heart of my girlfriend...

I shall have to take your word for it. One supposes this sort of content has been associated with anime long enough for most fans to be vaguely aware of it. As fictional absurdities go however, I'd assume it's still quite a sensitive subject.

Romance is an ever-perplexing endeavour, it seems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I would like to thank the people who had previously mentioned "Body Jack" here, which I had initially dismissed as another cheesy 80's OVA
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
damn, I just realized that Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is alternatively known as "Yokohama Shopping Trip", and that Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou ~Quiet Country Cafe~ is the sequel (which wasn't as good).

But heres a question about short OAV's like Call Me Tonight... granted it would only be for a niche audience, but why dont companies license these little gems? Are the costs for such titles still to high? Or would no one (except me) buy them? There are lots of great lil films and OAVs under 60 minutes that I would love to own (Nasu: Summer in Andalusia, URSA minor BLUE, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou), but I doubt any of these titles would ever make huge profits, but why not sell them for the small niche market?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Buried Treasure is one of my favorite columns here at ANN, and I'm glad that you still keep it going. It was because of BT that I came across two of the best Ghibli flicks out there: Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday. And because I watched Video Girl AI (due to BT), I started watching other old school series (like Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road). Plus I actually like the short OAV types, so Call Me Tonight was perfect. Keep up the good work!

btw, when are you going to review Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou aka Quite Country Cafe? 8-)

I never knew Yokohama had an anime!

This is one of those anime that I thought would be in Buried Garbage. It's not super great, but the reason why I didn't like it was because I didn't know if it was trying to make fun of Hollywood movies, or if it was dead serious. I guess that's one of it's appeals, just not for me.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Speak for yourself. I always read Buried Treasure, it's a great column. Well, always, unless it's reviewing something I already know about and don't think much of, like Hana Yori Dango (blah) and Serial Experiments Lain (BLECH).

I read it every time it comes out too. If it wasn't for Justin I would have never seen my favourite movie "Night on the Galactic Railroad" and never would have burned out my eyes with "Arcade Gamer Fubuki" and "MD Geist" ... (Saying that I saw the directors cut of MD and I still loathed it).

But I was just saying that alot of people more than likely just looked because it had those words in it. Curiosity is a common factor of Human kind after all ...

But on the topic of Lain ... I only ever saw the first DVD (first five episodes) and it never really caught me so I didn't continue. But yeah, watched it a while back. Then again I absolutely hated Ghost in the Shell movie, but I need to re watch that one ... been a while.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
This is one of those anime that I thought would be in Buried Garbage. It's not super great, but the reason why I didn't like it was because I didn't know if it was trying to make fun of Hollywood movies, or if it was dead serious.

I'll let abunai to "take care of you." Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RedLeader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
Ah, yes! I saw this one about a year or so ago. Definately a fun little piece and a great reminder of a bygone era.
Pero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
That female character made me think of an eighties version of Haruhi Suzumiya
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
I also enjoyed the silly Gakuen Toukuso Hikaruon from the same series. I, however, still haven't managed to see Call Me Tonight for reasons I can't remember... guess I'll do it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:

There are lots of great lil films and OAVs under 60 minutes that I would love to own (Nasu: Summer in Andalusia,

dude, I'd totally buy a dvd of Nasu. both of them.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:31 am Reply with quote
I grabbed this a while back because I suspected it'd be some 80's piece I'd probably missed. To say I was shocked by what I saw would be an understatement. Still, I'll try to watch it again in the spirit you've alluded to here. Oh, and of course, welcome back.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
dude, I'd totally buy a dvd of Nasu. both of them.

I've got both. Haven't got time to watch the sequel though; probably this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching this. Probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much without Justin's analysis. Sort of like Wings of Honneamise and Carl Horn's article on it in Animerica.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4