• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - From the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I had a good laugh about the pink/blue zits. I understand it's a lighting thing, but I never understood some the hues they'd come up for with those.

Japanese RPGs were never huge in North America, Final Fantasy aside, and the best they can hope for is a comfortable niche driven by DS games.

Eh, I really hope you're wrong about this. All I buy are RPGs, mostly for the main consoles. Honestly, I've been trying to get a workout with my DS in that category, but I enjoy playing RPGs on my big screen tv any day over the DS. If RPGs die out like you say then I guess I'll just have to get swallowed up by MMORPGs I can play on my big screen instead.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
If Gestalt sells well, hopefully they'll release Replicant.

I'm looking forward to both versions, so I'm happy with just Gestalt, but I'm still hoping for an eventual release of Replicant.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm so buying Record of Agarest War, assuming it'll be legal in Canada.

No, not because of the raunchy content, okay not *just* because of the raunchy content, but because I'm an XBox 360 owner who likes JRPG's other than Final Fantasy and I was afraid we wouldn't get much else in the way of niche JRPG's on the console post-Star Ocean IV.

While I'm envious of PS3 owners for a handful of games, in this particular case, I'm glad I went for the XBox 360 since I'm only interested in buying games on physical media and the physcial media version will be an XBox 360 exclusive, apparently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alucalb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll gladly take Gestalt over Replicant. Grizzled single dad with a big sword sounds more at home in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world than Captain J-Rock.

I recall early Nier screen shots were of the big guy, so they were probably going for that look in first place and made the skinny guy later.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Square-Enix really doesn't get it when it comes to the Western market. They've never gotten it. They've always changed box arts for the Western or American releases (removing subtlety, adding action or character poses), they tried to superficially appeal to the West with The Last Remnant (by adding a gruff character with a dumb aggressive-sounding name -- The Conqueror -- in a gritty world), and now with this NIER region exclusivity nonsense, only giving the West the gruff version and Japan the young-main-character version. Damn, they really do play right into stereotypes and superficial observations of what different regions like.

The dumbasses should just stick to making what they're good at and market them directly as what they are everywhere in the world; market directly to their real fanbase, instead of trying to expand their market by lazily and somewhat insultingly trying to appeal to the market in places where they have no experience or design or marketing sense (make the game dark and gritty and have a gruff older main character and we'll sell millions in the West! idiots, but so many Japanese publishers/developers think that way anymore, so SE is not alone).
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Not really sure how you would make something after CC considering how much it wrapped up that entire universe plus it'd be impossible to outdo its plot after it set the bar that bloody high.

Oh, CC (I assume you're talking about Chrono Cross) had a stunning resolution alright, but it still left a few threads hanging. Like, what exactly happened to Guardia? Did Crono, Marle and Lucca really die? What are the whereabouts of Dalton and Magus? Relatively little is still known about the nature of Lavos, as well. Where did he come from? Was he a sentient being? And although he was trying to save the universe, Belthasar's manipulations of time and human life on a massive scale put him dangerously close to villain material. All in all I'd say there's ample room for a sequel, and Kato himself has said he'd like to do one.

(Incidentally, I can't think of another video game that is as utterly polarizing in the responses it elicits from players as Chrono Cross. Obviously I fall into the "Love It" category, but I can understand why a lot of others fall into "Hate It".)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
One more thing about these digital download things: The company that makes or supplies the digital downloads can just yank it from you at any time. This is exactly what happened with the Amazon Kindle, an electronic reader that connects to Amazon's digital book service. Without any warning, every copy of 1984 downloaded to a Kindle was removed all at once, or at least the next time the Kindle ever went online. (Kind of ironic considering what this novel is about.)

This can naturally apply to video game digital downloads too--or any other sort. If you read the contract carefully when you sign up, there's a spot that says the service can, at any moment and without your permission, remove anything you've downloaded from it for any reason. Even more so if the company provides both the device you read it on and the service (a good example would be the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade).

This can't happen with physical media. They can't go over to everybody's houses and check if they're there. A lot of them are bought with cash, which is completely anonymous and the company would have no clue who bought it. If you bought The Knights of Dr. Jackalope 4 on a disc and the company realizes it didn't secure all of the music rights used in the game, and you bought it from a store, there's absolutely nothing the company can do to you. It doesn't even know you have the game.

It also looks like the point was also brought up that digital download games are not designed to age. Well, it was actually two related points: That it's meant to only stay on the memory storage device for a limited amount of time and, because it can't be obtained used, will become impossible to legitimately own once the service ends or it chooses to stop selling it. That just doesn't fly with me. I buy games that are years old more often than I buy games when they're new, and when I buy a game, I intend to keep on playing it. I bought Zack & Wiki two years after it came out--granted, that isn't that long, though it means I have no interest in buying a game when it's still new and, well, full-price.

I guess that makes me a highly atypical Xbox 360 user--I only have 3 games, all of them bought about half a year ago, and I continue to play all 3 regularly. None of them were bought anywhere near their release. Well, I did get BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger near release, though I didn't play it until November. (The other two have already been completed long ago--I just love to play them over and over. I've played through Paper Mario at least seven times by now.)
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
One more thing about these digital download things: The company that makes or supplies the digital downloads can just yank it from you at any time. This is exactly what happened with the Amazon Kindle, an electronic reader that connects to Amazon's digital book service. Without any warning, every copy of 1984 downloaded to a Kindle was removed all at once, or at least the next time the Kindle ever went online. (Kind of ironic considering what this novel is about.)

Not really ironic because they were illegally distributed.

See, the people selling the files were adapting and selling books that were in the public domain... Except, a few of the books, including 1984, weren't exactly in the public domain.

I'm fairly certain people received refunds for the retracted product, too.

It's like if a film company swooped in, took your pirated DVDs, and left you whatever you paid for them in cash.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
Umm...why would Game Arts be "emboldened" to make Lunar 3 by a game that failed to even make the top ten in its debut week (it was 14th, and the number 10 game that week only sold 17,000 copies), dropped to 45th the next week, and then completely fell out of the top 50 after that? Simply put, Lunar PSP tanked rather spectacularly in Japan.

I wish Lunar could be an elite RPG series again, but those days are loooooooooooong since passed.
AnimeGuy1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
I completely disagree with the art part. I think it looks good when used, I have seen pictures where the artist uses it way to much but most artist know how to use it to enhance the art. And as the person above showed, the art work with out the splotches just looks plain and has not depth to it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
Mildly surprised at the lack of mention of Hexyz Force being confirmed for US release, despite the May release date.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

I'm not trying to continue anything, but wtf do you care about others buying habits and preferences? Do they effect you in some way? So... yeah.

Users one-liner troll post has been deleted. - Keonyn

Lol... Lrn2Sarcasm...

And besides, if Kyogissun wasn't trying to start something, they shouldn't have started it. I was responding to their self-created irony with sarcasm. Did I really have to explain it?

Unholy_Nny wrote:
It's like if a film company swooped in, took your pirated DVDs, and left you whatever you paid for them in cash.

Close. It's more like when Sony sold LBP with background music that had sung lyrics from the Qur'an, and the muslim world called for WW3, so Sony recalled the game and issued new copies to those who sent in their old ones. Except, lots of people didn't, since those "recalled" games were now SUPER SPECIAL.

I hadn't heard about this Amazon issue before now, but it seems cleancut. Amazon sold something it shouldn't have, so it took it back and refunded the purchase price. But yeah, if people had actually bought a physical book, and Amazon hadn't legally aquired them with intent to sell, there's nothing they would have been able to do. So it does kind of relate.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

Here's the deal. Games on disc include the case, the disc, the authoring, the artwork, the manual, any possible extras that come with a Limited/Collector's Edition, and possible physical pre-order goodies. If you download a game from PSN or XBL, you don't get any of that. And if I'm not getting any of the basic add-ons, why am I paying the same for a digital copy as a physical copy, when tons of costs associated with making the physical copy available to me don't apply? When I buy a PS3 game, I'm getting everything I listed above, plus up to 50GB of storage if it's a dual-layer Blu-Ray disc, around 9GB if it's a dual-layer DVD for the 360. With a download, I pay the same price as the physical copy, but have to expend my own HDD space to accomodate having the file.

NO DISC = Having to delete the downloaded game to make room for new ones, only to redownload it later if you want to play it again.
NO DISC = Not being able to take it to a friends house and play it without worrying about using up one of a few allowed installs, or lugging your HDD around with you and possibly damaging it in the process.
NO DISC = Not being able to loan it out to friends period, so they can try it before they buy it, in lieu of a downloadable demo.
NO DISC = When you decide you're done with the game, you get nothing for it, despite whatever GS may get reselling it. (If you're that pissed at how much they sell used copies for, sell it yourself on eBay or craigslist, it ain't rocket science.)

Yes, I am a collector, but that's beside the point. People still like to be able to hold what they own. The instant gratification and complete lack of wanting to own physical copies applies to a very small, but very vocal, minority which congregates mostly online, as I doubt you'll see many of them in real life in stores and such.

I'm not trying to continue anything, but wtf do you care about others buying habits and preferences? Do they effect you in some way? So... yeah.

Nah, you don't affect me. It's mostly just me posting a little ramble after my friend was like, 'dood, why buy dead space online when you can just get a hard copy?' to which I detailed the many reasons and the best he could come up with preference wise was having the copy in his hands.

As for point one, I don't see this as much of a problem unless you have a super slow download speed. This day and age, 5 gig files can take a mere 15 minutes to be downloaded for some if they have a super fast speed, I know I could with Comcast...

Point two... Okay, pretty legit but I never consider it being all my friends are miles away. Plus, I just let my buddies hop on my account if they want to play a game that badly, we trust each other that much.

Point three, see above.

Point four, yeah, that's what I did, sell my copy of AC II on Half.com. I'm just saying there are people who don't know of that kind of stuff and to me, it just seems... uncomfortable in my mind that Gamestop is making a continuous profit on games that exchange into their hands multiple times... But it's a whole nother kinda personal issue I'll avoid.

And Leafy brought up some good points too.

I'm not looking to poke and agitate people, just trying to get some views and you guys kinda helped me but I'm still seeing that the digital perks outweigh the physical... And honestly, I'd rather take the risk of the game disappearing forever from the service than misplacing it. If it disappears in real life, then I'm responsible and have only myself to blame. But if a company yanks a game/whatever off the grid, I'll just get pissy with them.

However, I do have to say if anyone is a collector, in my book that's like a discussion ender. Even if you do prefer physical copies on another level, it's the collecting factor that I respect. I wish I had enough attention span to COLLECT my games. Mad
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Kirikiri23 wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

Users one-liner troll post has been deleted. - Keonyn

Lol... Lrn2Sarcasm...

And besides, if Kyogissun wasn't trying to start something, they shouldn't have started it. I was responding to their self-created irony with sarcasm. Did I really have to explain it?

Excuse me? Self created irony? What did I say to deserve such a comment like that? I said I was NOT trying to start anything, CLEARLY, in the post and was just trying to find out other people's reasons.

But please, point out how I was being ironic. Aside from maybe the issues about resale values, I never commented on the loaning topic OR the possibility of the games being pulled off a service. That's not being ironic, it's called not knowing of other reasons. It's why I made the post in the first place.

Concerning the pricing issue though, that's the cost of instant gratification. And if I want a game badly enough, I'll be fine sacrificing a physical copy and paying extra to have it sooner. It's like the people who said I was wasting my money for getting Overnight shipping for Dragon Age: Origins when it first came out.

And I really don't think I deserved this... so called sarcasm, which I didn't even notice. I mean when you compare my post to say, the rantings of a fanatic for anything ever, I believe I come at a favored to my side but also somewhat neutral commenter.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote
True--Amazon did give everybody who paid for 1984 a refund. So the analogy about the pirated DVDs is if the film studio had distributed these pirate DVDs by mistake. Though it IS still entirely legal to yank a digital download right from your device provided the company compensates for the price of the download.

I have no beef against people who digitally download--but I do think that physical copies will be around for the long run and not just for collectors, but for the freaks like me who get seemingly endless mileage by playing through a game over and over. (And, seeing the fiasco between GameStop and the PSP Go, for the retailers too.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6