• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Bullet Witch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animeboy12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
A little warning about Bayonetta.

If you have a ps3 and just a ps3, you definitely should hold back on it, least until it's $50 or $40 because that technically flaws on the ps3; the grainy textures, the slow downs in between combat, the loads times DEAR GOD THE LOAD TIMES makes $60 a little to steep for all the trouble you have to go through to enjoy the hampered core experiences.

It's definitely a great game. IMO, what devil may cry was trying to be be never made it, but if you just own a ps3 it's best to either hold that money till the game gets cheaper or better yet save for God of War 3
Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
If you haven't read it, there's an interesting writeup over at Gamepro's site about Bayonetta's character design:

Quote:
But what about her unrealistic body, her gratuitous sashaying, the lollipop-licking? The hypersexualization of Bayonetta is intentionally unrealistic -- just as unrealistic as the superhuman aplomb of the Devil May Cry boys. Dante, for example, is a pleasure to play because of his unrealism, and Bayonetta is too. Both reject subtlety in favor of unrestrained, sometimes theatrically-excessive style in their own ways.

That emphasis on style over character substance isn't every player's taste, but it's not inherently unfair to women in this case. Kamiya's thematic choice for Bayonetta is an undercurrent that unifies the entire game, thus giving her sexuality context -- and context is the most important consideration in judging whether an element is appropriate or not.

As gamers, we don't always pick up a controller and immediately expect that the character on screen will be a representation of ourselves -- if we did, then it's possible that the overblown macho male characters we see in games with impossible strength and unbelievable musculature would offend male gamers. We must not assume that female players are so fragile that they view a stylized female body as a personal affront.

To prohibit a character like Bayonetta, and rush to cover her up in disapproval, is a rejection of her particular brand of femininity. Why do that? Because she makes men uncomfortable? If men feel uncomfortable with Bayonetta, maybe that means she succeeds.

As a woman, I haven't often been satisfied by female character options that effectively boil down to "the same thing as a man, just with breasts and a ponytail." Thanks to its innovative approach to the idea of female power, Bayonetta is the first action game heroine that's made me directly conscious of how cool it is to be a girl.

I already know that women can do all the same things men can. This time, I get to see a woman do plenty of things men can't. And I love it.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Quote:
Some embarrassing arguments point to her role as an empowering step forward for women in video games, and yet she's just as vapidly written and cliché-infected as any comparable male action-game hero.

Equality!

I'm really glad Todd said something about the arguments. Penny Arcade endorsed this view, and I shudder to think the influence it will have (though not as much as certain gaming websites, thank goodness).

I really don't think people would be so quick to defend Bayonette's sexism if the gameplay was crappy, but people want to have fun without feeling guilty about the bad stuff in it. Hey, if FF XIII is a good gameplay, I'll probably still play it. But I'm not going to say Sazh is a good role model for African Americans if his character falls into bad stereotypes.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny that Penny Arcade took that stance right after their "the difference between rip-off and homage is whether I like it" crack about Darksiders.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
A little warning about Bayonetta.

If you have a ps3 and just a ps3, you definitely should hold back on it, least until it's $50 or $40 because that technically flaws on the ps3; the grainy textures, the slow downs in between combat, the loads times DEAR GOD THE LOAD TIMES makes $60 a little to steep for all the trouble you have to go through to enjoy the hampered core experiences.

It's definitely a great game. IMO, what devil may cry was trying to be be never made it, but if you just own a ps3 it's best to either hold that money till the game gets cheaper or better yet save for God of War 3

The load times are a little annoying, but look on the bright side: more elbow room to practice your mad skillz.

And...it could just be me, but I couldn't even notice the grainy textures or slow-downs at all. The only weird, graphical issue I noticed was some random floating textures in the Sea of Stars. Like...tree branches with leaves just kind of hanging out in the middle of a nebula.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Glory of Heracles: Can't say I'm familiar with the original game either. I'll look into it but unless I get a DS, this won't garner much of my interest.
I would most likely look into it as it is yet another franchise that has been kept largely Japan-only (until now), but 2010 is also jam-packed for DS, with Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey.

That Lupin DS game looks a little bit more intruiging. And I agree: I've seen videos of the game in motion and the sprite animation in it is definitely something.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Yes, Bandai released a Lupin III game for the PlayStation 2 here many years ago, but that was back when Lupin III was airing on Adult Swim and the U.S. anime industry had more than two productive publishers. Those days are over. Over. Do you hear me? Over!

The fact that it bombed didn't stop some random company from releasing one of the Ippo games here. Besides, porting a DS game is less expensive than a PS2 game, because you don't have to deal with Sony's wonky programming. Or, for that matter, massive competition on the retail shelf from the new Final Fantasy/MGS game(s) which more people are willing to pay $50 to own than your game. Besides, as you yourself pointed out with Layton, there's clearly more of a market for this type of title on the DS than there was for the PS2. And you forgot that a new Lupin OVA's coming out which happens to be a prequel, and is a perfect time to re-introduce the franchise here. BTW, Namdai, Atlus, and NIS now have Twitter feeds where you can request they bring it over here.
I sure hope it's not too out of the question that it gets brought over to the US. Hell, we get enough DS shovel ware, why not a Lupin game?

Plus it would be pointless to get the Japanese game if you don't speak Japanese as it's a puzzler game. Then again friends and I used online translations to get through the challenges of the Smash Brothers esque Jump Super Stars. Still holding out some hope that there might be some chance it comes to the US.
duofangirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, I am surprised at your Bayonetta review. I work at a video game store, and so far no one has liked the game. I haven't played it myself, so I have no real opinion on it. But yeah, the various complaints coming in include a lacking story and the fact that a lot of people are beating it in about 8 hours. The people who don't outright slander it are saying it would have made an ok game if it lasted longer. Again, not my personal opinion, but I wanted to throw in the other side of the coin on this one for people who are on the fence for buying it. If you're really not sure about this game, you may want to wait till it's not $60 anymore.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
duofangirl wrote:
Wow, I am surprised at your Bayonetta review. I work at a video game store, and so far no one has liked the game. I haven't played it myself, so I have no real opinion on it. But yeah, the various complaints coming in include a lacking story and the fact that a lot of people are beating it in about 8 hours. The people who don't outright slander it are saying it would have made an ok game if it lasted longer. Again, not my personal opinion, but I wanted to throw in the other side of the coin on this one for people who are on the fence for buying it. If you're really not sure about this game, you may want to wait till it's not $60 anymore.

I guess it depends on who you know. I have a friend who works at Gamestop and he has gotten mostly positive feedback. Bayonetta does have replay value in that at certain points the player is awarded medals that reflect performance. For those who care about that stuff, they could replay it until they get all platinum medals.

I played through a level last night and I was very impressed. I love the awesome finishing moves she performs that doesn't take a six-button combo to pull off.

It's funny though, after playing last night, I had a stronger urge to play God of War rather than DMC.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
"Bayonetta is complete trash. It is garish, self-indulgent, self-aware nonsense wrapped around a slinking heroine who wears guns on her feet and poses seductively at the touch of a button."

Wow, Todd. You must really truely hate SEGA. I didn't realize it early on but everytime you review a new Sega title, you just bash it for no reason at all. What's your problem? don't like the fact that they're the only publisher trying something new.

SEGASammy is on the verge of a huge comeback this year. They got huge marketing campaigns planned for the Q1 2010 releases and are preparing to unveil an On-Live like device that uses RingWide hardware which will compete against Wii using a GPU ( Radeon2600HD pro) that's simluar to Xbox 360 and will sell for $150.
http://www.mcvuk.com/retail-biz/previews/629/Aliens-Vs-Predator

http://fgnonline.webs.com/

And to those bitching about the game, you haven't even played it. All your trying to do is find something wrong with her? Either complaining that the PS3 should have been better then the 360 version or that the game is too much like DMC. Please do yourself a favor and shut up about your bias.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Wow, Todd. You must really truely hate SEGA. I didn't realize it early on but everytime you review a new Sega title, you just bash it for no reason at all. What's your problem? don't like the fact that they're the only publisher trying something new.

Yeah, Todd's a real hater:
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Bayonetta might not make it as an icon in the game industry, but her debut's a magnificent achievement. It offers variety far beyond what most action games even hint at, and, most importantly of all, it never lets up. Bayonetta knows precisely what it wants to be: a noisy, reckless, richly challenging shock to the senses. And it pulls it off in style.

Also, most of the credit for Bayonetta belongs to Platinum Games and Hideki Kamiya, Sega's just the publisher.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Not only is this demonstrably false, but I am getting quite tired of you spewing your version of "reality" all over these forums.

Settle down or get banned, those are your options. And the next time I see you posting wild speculation as "facts", you're out regardless.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Hahahah. You might want to actually read the full review instead of just the first few sentences next time. Unless you want to embarrass yourself even further anyway.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I was planning to rent Bayonetta at some point, but my friends all bought it day one, and from what they've said about it, it sounds like it has a pretty severe recycling problem. Is it true there are bosses that repeat four times throughout the game and many levels are just variants of locations you've already passed earlier in the game? That would have sounded fishy enough to me, but the battles are apparently also intensely button mash heavy to the point where playing can physically hurt according to one associate.

Think I'll stick with Ninja Gaiden 2 until GoW3 comes out personally.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Uh, wasn't FFX also almost completely linear? It's been years since I last played it, but I don't remember there being such a big reaction to that.

That's bothered me for years. I did not like walking along a path from literally one side of the planet to the other, even if it did serve to preserve the scale within the game. Still, it wasn't as linear as this looks.

I don't know how to feel about the GamePro excerpt. Bayonetta's design looks like it was developed to please sexually frustrated nerds, and that intent is the antithesis of female empowerment.
I think a feminist heroine would try to challenge gender roles instead of appealing to men by her very design. Playing as a woman is always a good thing, but in this case her sexuality feels as though it is being exploited for either laughs or the gratification of gamer, neither of which reinforce positive images of or interaction with women. The more modest lead from Beyond Good and Evil looks like a step in the right direction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4