• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Rah Rah Rahmen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
From what I heard, Doyle actually hated Holmes, which is why he "killed him off" in the first place, and only brought him back, because of fan out-cry.

Anyway...

Quote:
I've never read a single Sherlock Holmes book or watched a movie starring Holmes from beginning to end (at least not without falling asleep, with the exception of Time After Time) but I'm so sick of that guy!

What about the Downey/Law movie?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with the contest of the article, since none of those strike my particular interest. I must know though, is the title a homage to "Rasputin" (Ra ra Rasputin) though the number of syllables don't work out?

Or was it a homage to the 90's commercial for "Chia Pet" (Cha cha cha chia!) which fits the syllables, but has one too many "cha"s to fit the pattern?

Lady Gaga I think...

Nah, it's not an homage to anything. It's just a play off the ol' Rah Rah cheer.
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote
Wow nice shelves, Douglas! I have the same type (although fewer in quantity).
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
I also thought the BLACK JACK specials were quite good--not great, but still worth watching(I'd really like to read the manga, but there's so much to catch up on right now.)Pinoko wasn't such a bad character for me, but then her type of character is very common in the kinds of shows I like to watch. And I thought PHANTOM was one of the weaker DC movies; I didn't think the mystery and scenario were all that interesting, and I'm not much of a Sherlock fan(though I do think Doyle wrote some good horror stories.) Still, DC is always fun to watch and I loved that weird ninja scene on the train. It's interesting to contrast the Shelf Life reviews of the DC movies with the stan-alone reviews.
mckg1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice collection douglas. I gatta say my collection is nothing compared to yours. Very cool, hope it keeps on growing to something even more awesome.
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
That is a really wonderful collection. I hope you are able to find an understanding spouse that allows you to keep all that haha.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Well, there's revenue in streaming, (spare change compared to disc sales) but when you're doing it for free, then the answer is 0.

As an aside, this is also a big reason why fansubs are bad -- no revenue going back to the source.

Leaving aside for a moment revenue for the distributors, what about revenue for the animators? American TV budgets are based, to some extent, on sales of commercial time, right? (Except for PBS.) I know anime is different, that producers buy air time in Japan in order to sell DVDs later (and uh... merchandise?) but where's the profit model?

I'm not against streaming, but I am pro-me-having-a-job. Microbudget TV shows have edged me out of the employment market for the time being.

bglassbrook wrote:
PS - The Jack the Ripper episodes were Stark Trek: TNG, not TOS, created by Geordi's poor choice of wording in commanding the Holodeck to provide Data with an equal in challenge.

It was TOS in addition to TNG in that case. I can't remember that TNG episode. Maybe it's selective amnesia for self-preservation.

Conan-san wrote:
I'm summarising my post because using words to describe what I've just read and how I feel about it would warrant my removal from this board and, more than likely, the authorities getting involved.

Your response made me laugh. Your courteous self-censorship has really made my day. The internet would be a better place if everyone could disagree with that much wit.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Douglas - Awesome collection there. I hope to have a house of my own so I can properly display my own collection in a fitting manner. Right now I have to store my DVDs in big boxes since I'm somewhat in a transitory mode.

Erin - You'll be hosting a panel at AB? Well then, I'll have to come check it out. This looks like it's shaping up to be my busiest AB yet.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Sorry bubba-as much as I'd like to be impressed by your collection-I'm really not.

[Mod Edit: Please don't troll.]
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Sorry bubba-as much as I'd like to be impressed by your collection-I'm really not.

[sarcasm]Well, seeing as his entire self-esteem rested on what total strangers' opinions on his collection were, I guess all is lost.[/sarcasm] Rolling Eyes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Usually in this series of movies character name captions appear over hideous gray boxes. In this film the gray box also appears under some subtitles in the first 20 minutes. It's a bit jarring.

I agree the gray boxes are hideous. But they don't have many choices (except making them a prettier color) other than putting the subtitles somewhere else on the screen, since the Conan series and movies always throw up Japanese titles for the character names and data. Having both on the screen at once would practically blot out all the images underneath.

At the beginning of Baker Street, however, most of the original dialog was already in English, so Japanese subtitles were required. My preference would have been just to leave them up there, but then again, I usually watch my dubs with the subs on (as it sounds like you did), so there's still the problem with using up half the screen for dub and subtitles. I didn't actually check while I had the disk, but if the subtitles are turned off, is the hideous gray box still there with nothing in it, or do you just see the Japanese subs?

Really, DC is one series where they should have retained the use of alternate angles for the Japanese and English versions. Smile
Astribulus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
PS - The Jack the Ripper episodes were Stark Trek: TNG, not TOS, created by Geordi's poor choice of wording in commanding the Holodeck to provide Data with an equal in challenge.

Actually, Erin got it right. The episodes you're thinking of in TNG ("Elementary, My Dear Data" and "Ship in a Bottle") featured holo-Moriarty. Despite his ludicrous origin of the ship's computer being able to create sentient life on request, I've always liked the character. It's sad that he was probably forgotten in the wreckage of Generations.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Jack the Ripper stories are really a dime a dozen. There was even a Babylon 5 episode featuring him. He always gets built up like a criminal mastermind, but he was just someone who knifed women who live on the edge of society.

It's sad that Sherlock Holmes got so screwed by his screen adaptations. I read the stories as a kid. Doyle was going for a mystery story with all of the cards on the table. The idea was to produce the clues and not cheat the audience with some Deus ex Machina which is exactly the ham-fisted approach taken by most screen representations.

I see that you panned all the Conan movies except for Countdown to Heaven. I saw that one and thought it was pretty good, so I assumed the others were pretty good as well. Good thing I generally read reviews before buying.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
I see that you panned all the Conan movies except for Countdown to Heaven. I saw that one and thought it was pretty good, so I assumed the others were pretty good as well. Good thing I generally read reviews before buying.

I don't consider a "Rental" a pan. It's the "try before you buy" rating. If you like Conan, you might want to watch the other movies before buying them. "Shelf Worthy" is practically safe-to-buy-blind. If the opposite of a "pan" is a "pick," then "Rental Shelf" is a middle-ground, like purgatory.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I've always interpreted Rental Shelf as a, "maybe worth watching, but probably not worth owning," rating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3