• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon King Daimaō (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miranox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1, 2 and 3 had interesting story developments, but now episode 4 left me rather underwhelmed. spoiler[Seeing the blue-haired girl get blown up again is getting old. The meditation chamber scene was a waste of time other than the convenient finding of a plot-device map. What bothered me most though was the student body's reaction to the map. Through some backward reasoning that can't even be called logic they ignore Sai's speech and decide he should search for the "treasure" himself. This plot twist smacks of lazy writing.] If I was Sai I'd tell them to shove it up their asses.

This brings me to another point. Sai lets himself get pushed around too much. It works fine for comedy but it shouldn't be used to advance the plot. His desire to help others should not include doing whatever he is told.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:00 am Reply with quote
Liked episode 3 for the spoiler[violence and cruelty Sai showed to the group who attacked him. Really didn't expect to see that out of him, and I'm kind of hoping we get to see more of it from him. Not sure though if that was result of his own personality or his powers.]

Miranox wrote:
Episodes 1, 2 and 3 had interesting story developments, but now episode 4 left me rather underwhelmed. spoiler[Seeing the blue-haired girl get blown up again is getting old. The meditation chamber scene was a waste of time other than the convenient finding of a plot-device map. What bothered me most though was the student body's reaction to the map. Through some backward reasoning that can't even be called logic they ignore Sai's speech and decide he should search for the "treasure" himself. This plot twist smacks of lazy writing.]

spoiler[The student body hates Sai because of the Demon Lord prophecy. You really shouldn't expect them to think with anything resembling reason when Sai is involved. I was more bothered by the new chick's actions. That was just a bit too forced, especially when trying to manipulate a crowd her way.]
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Episode 3! Now with insanely painful bloody violence, masturbation and sex orgy!

Hmm, are we watching the same show? lol
But yeah, episode 3 was pretty fun and promising, though episode 4 completely undid that. I'd like to see more of his Demon Lord side, and a lot more violence with less fanservice and overdone echi attack moves(like that girl grabbing with his head, with err, her, hum, you should get it by now; slippery thing, that's the word). So, I expect to see a better episode next time.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I have been thinking about the Demon Lord Ass-kicking sequence and it makes me think how it might not be as bad as it was depicted. Yeah, it was brutal, breaking and twisting bone at the mid sections, blood splurting out, agonizing yells.... but a little later they all ran away.]
spoiler[We've had one girl blown up three times so far, stuck in the middle of explosive craters, and a "nurse's office as big as the rest of the campus. Logical or not, I don't think injuries will ever really be treated as bad as they look in this series. Maybe Sai realized this as he was breaking their bones, sure he can beat them near death but it's been shown in this show that it can be healed in a second with the proper big ass healing ray gun.]

But it does demonstrate a problem this show has with inconsistency. They're trying to be all things at once.
Some people want more ass-kickery.
I'm fine that it's mostly ecchi harem comedy with a short side of plot.
But I have a feeling it's going to continue to veer wildly from moment to moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
I kind of understand the thought that episode 4 kind of let it down. Kind of a of rehash of same jokes: spoiler[blue haired clothes ripped by blast, invisability girl has another naked scene, probably the only one I am likeing is of the robot teasing.] Probably other parts that can work best is meaning well and failing, and going full demon lord, I guess they could work with having someone able to end his life quickly, but he probably enjoyed it too much with the ninja.

Maybe things just felt a little too bit forced with getting everything they wanted in the episode. My favourite character is currently the robot, perhaps that most of her stuff revolves around not just fanservice, but the goal to make him feel uncomfertable.

As a theory, does anyone think that spoiler[Invisibility girl seems to do some very strange things, and I don't really buy that it is by chance. I wonder what she realy knows and if she is purposly sabotaging things.]
gokuyuske

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, episode 5 was kind of confusing, but really cool. I like the student council president, oh, and the spoiler[dragon] obviously. Hope the scale of this series continues to progress.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
-That was a pretty good episode spoiler[but it started to seriously speed up at the dragon fight (that dragon has a kickass voice by the way) which somehow slowed the episode down for me. I didn't actually think there would be a real dragon in this either, I thought that was just some special thing they added in the OP for coolness.

-And yay, we finally got red-eyed Akuto.

-Whoa, kiss this early in huh?
]

-I don't get the censoring in this show. It's like I get that full frontal body shots are censored but sometimes they show buttocks and other times it's censored especially if there is panties. Um, isn't it usually the other way around?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
-I don't get the censoring in this show. It's like I get that full frontal body shots are censored but sometimes they show buttocks and other times it's censored especially if there is panties. Um, isn't it usually the other way around?

Omamori Himari censored french-kissing. I thought that was rather lame...

This episode was rad. I'm really liking how Akuto is showing his power and strength early on as opposed to being a worthless, weak s.o.b. until the last episode (see Omamori Himari). And that last shot at the end there; spoiler[the one where it showed a reluctant Akuto with his own throne, surrounded by his harem-o-vixens] got a good rise out of me.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Wow, that was one short fight. If you exclude the talking, the dragon fight lasted less than 10 seconds.] Better not blink or you'll miss it Confused. Why they are doing this is beyond me. These are the kinds of scenes that should receive budget priority, not the fanservice ones. I hope they're just saving up for later.

That's quite a harem Sai is building. This episode we have (censored) naked girls running all over the place. I wonder how they're going top this in the future without going full-blown hentai. I'm also confused about how the student council president is wiping the floor with Sai one moment and kissing him the next. Does not compute.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote
There are a few confusing parts with characters, such as what is the deal with the witch president, it looks like there might be the possibility she is sucking up to him. And what is the deal with miss invisibility.

Well at least now he spoiler[has a kickarse place (lair) and an awesome pet (dragon), all he need now is an army of the undead.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Concerning episode 5:

I am still being vastly entertained by this series, to the point that it's my priority view for the week; the closing shot was priceless (any demon lord worth his name should have a dragon servant and a harem, after all!), I get a kick out of how the pure-hearted Hattori is gradually getting drawn towards Akuto despite still believing that he's striving to become a demon lord, and the newest addition certainly has an interesting way of "latching on." I do agree that parts of the episode felt awfully rushed, though, like the producers found themselves with material that was 30-60 seconds longer than what they actually had, and also agree that the president's motives are a mess at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
There was a bit too much focus on the comedy this week. It really didn't allow for the more serious points to be drawn out well. Was feeling this from last week's episode as well, but not as strongly. I really hope it doesn't continue in this direction and finds a good balance. It's still a fun show overall.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'd say episode 5 is the best so far. Demon, dragon, and enough sexy chicks to satisfy both my perverseness and imagination. The amount of censored parts are quite alarming though. Feels like this is a good week, as I've really enjoyed every episode of everything I've seen(Maid-sama, Shinsengumi kitan, Arakawa, Giant killing, Working, House of 5 Leaves, Angel Beats[mainly this one], Durarara!!, Naruto[even this lol], Fairy Fail, One Piece, and Uraboku; with the exception of Heroman[which has been pretty boring]). Predictions are that BH Kei won't be enjoyable, but on the other hand I still have Tatami Galaxy, Night Raid, K-ON and Rainbow to make up for that.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, so far I'd say this show is pretty entertaining. Lots of good characters, comedy, and echi with a bit of action.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I am still being vastly entertained by this series, to the point that it's my priority view for the week.

Exactly how I feel. I even memorized the day of the week Ichiban is coming out: Monday (uncensored is they only way). This is definitely the best episode so far, plenty of everything I already love in the show. Very few series give so much excitement during every episode. As Key mentioned closing shot is priceless, but hey, pretty much everything in this episode is. Really can't wait for more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7