• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical DoReMi to Re-Air on The CW4Kids on Saturdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netstryke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Noooooooooo!

I thought that beast was killed a long time ago.

Rolling Eyes Ali Kahn must be Satan for this travesty. Rolling Eyes
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
sailorsarah08 wrote:
Primus wrote:

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I'd hoped it had reverted to Toei by now so there was a chance of seeing Funimation pull a One Piece-style licence rescue.

Name one magical girl anime that isn't Sailor Moon that was successful in North America. Yeah I can't name one either. FUNimation wouldn't pick up a failed show in a part of the market that never was really succcesful.

Cardcaptor Sakura was successful, and I'd imagine Lyrical Nanoha did alright, though it's aimed at an older audience.

CCS successful? Maybe mildly, but not Sailor Moon level success. Cardcaptors was handled poorly, as has most of the few magical girl series brought over post Sailor Moon. Although to Cardcaptors defense, it was KidsWB that ruined it by only airing half the episodes and editing it to hell to aim towards boys despite the fact it was clearly a series for girls. Nonaha never had a tv airing so that already counts it out for being all that successful, maybe it had okay dvd sales I dunno.

The thing of it is, is that Sailor Moon's success wasn't a fluke like everyone (i.e. dubbing companies) seems to think. Say what you want about Dic's dub, but they knew what they were doing. They aimed it towards little girls and they made sure to bring merchandise over so that they could even further hook their audience with all the toys. Tell me how many magical girl shows had as much merchandise brought over? Not to mention Sailor Moon had an awesome tv slot, it would air right after elementary kids got out of school thus ensuring the majority of their target audience would see it. A magical girl show airing at 7AM wouldn't stand a chance against all that. Too bad Japan pulled ADV's dub of mermaid melody because it seemed as though ADV was going balls to the wall to get Sailor Moon success with it, but it never came to be.

CCS was very successful for a magical girl show, but it had a lot to do with being a CLAMP production. CCS had a bunch of merchandise too, like the Cardcaptors board game. You can't blame 4KIDs for trying to reach their audience. Most 7 year old wouldn't want to watch unedited CCS, it was kind of slow. Editing isn't always bad, neither is localizing. It's a kid show, get over it. If there's a big enough interest in it, it'll get a uncut release. Nonaha is popular in the anime circles, which are the only people who really care about anime anyway. I think it had okay DVD sales, as well as good figure sales. Which are way more expensive than toys.

I'm sorry, butSailor Moon was a stroke of dumb luck. It's a great show, and I love it to death, but when the show first came on it was in the crappiest time. I think it was before the reruns of Scooby-Doo at around 6 in the morning here. The DIC dub was awful, not for the adaption, but for the acting. The merchandise was a result of the success of the show, which could have stemmed from a hundred different things. Sailor Moon did not start at a good time slot, that's where it ended.

I'm pretty sure Mermaid Melody didn't air because no one would take it. I think Doremi will do fine finding it's audience at 6 o'clock in the morning. It's a sweet little show aimed at young girls, it doesn't have the range that Sailor Moon did, like how boys would watch Sailor Moon because the scouts jumped around in heels and short skirts.

It'd be really awesome if 4KIDs released DVD's for once, because I do not want to wake up that early to see this, when I think about it.
DrkHikari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I used to watch it when I was young. I remember waking early, watch it, then fall asleep. If 4Kids gonna show it, hope they dubbed the rest the seasons so I could watch it with my daughter.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
mmmmmmm.... I never been into Magical/Ojamajo Doremi,probully because the character designs did'nt appeal to me,but i do have a soft spot however and feel sorry for most magical girl animes not getting enough U.S reconginization,true,4kids ruined most shows like Kirby Right back at ya (they changed all the music to generic cartoon music,the japanese version actually had music from the Kirby games)

4kids however did decent with Ultimate Muscle (Kinnikuman Nisei in japan) and they slowly redeemed themselves with the Turtles forever movie. the only thing 4kids did with ultimate muscle was renaming all the characters and removing the japanese kanji symbols off mantaro kinnikuman's forehead because al kahn was afrade kids would draw kanji's with pernement markers.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Nope, DoRemI is an adorable show. 4kids version is SHIT though. God, how much longer until 4Kids is put out of OUR misery? Then maybe someone else can do justice to the shows they butchered.

Good to see you're rooting for dozens of people to be put out of jobs just because they edited some kid cartoons.
As much as we disagree with 4kids' methods, I think we forget that 98% of the people that work there are really people like us doing their jobs and what they're told to do.
So for their sakes, I hope this works out for them. (Plus, any anime on TV would be a good thing at this point I think)

I personally don't care about the whole thing, I just think they end up making unnecessary and pointless edits to the anime they localize, considering stupid crap like changing the image of a riceball to a sandwich or a cracker.

I mean seriously, do you REALLY think a kid is going to be confused and turn off their television just because a riceball is on the screen?

And it's other stuff besides that, like their handling of the whole voice actors issue when Pokemon USA took over production of the animation, the banning of those episodes, the One Piece opening edits...

People have a 'lot' of reasons to dislike 4Kids. I don't think anyone wishes personal harm or bad future upon the employees... Maybe the ones MAKING the decisions to make all the unnecessary changes they do but definitely not the ones 'just following orders'.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
If there's a big enough interest in it, it'll get a uncut release.

No 4Kids license has ever gotten a true uncut release. The aborted attempt with Yugioh and Shaman King don't count, since the plug got pulled by Kahn after only a couple volumes. There were a bunch of problems with the DVDs that did make it out, too.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
LunarianWarrior wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad

I don't understand this at all! What did we (not just the fans but all viewers) do to deserve this? I thought that license expired. Toei pulled the One Piece license, but not this one? Furthermore, I understand 4Kids had Pretty Cure at one point, but that license either lapsed or was revoked with no production (thankfully).

This is the worst. I had thought that Toei had pulled ALL of 4Kids' licenses. I was hoping Toei could give us Oja Majo Doremi (in which "Doremi" is the name os a single character: and the main character at that!) themselves, just like they (Toei) did with the aforementioned Pretty Cure.

Did 4Kids find some kind of "loophole" in the contract, or was the license still with them, (4Kids) all this time?

Maybe they had it for a long time or renewed it for other episodes that never were on TV but are on online? I have no idea...New to this whole thing but yea I do wonder, what happened to Pretty Cure? It's in english but not by 4Kids.

Actually the english dub of pretty cure thats airing in canada is by toei animation themselves but with blue water studios providing the voice work.

but yes,back in 2006,4kids attempted to get the series but failed,then afterwards,the toei animation website made an english dub promo piolet trailer with different voice actors compared to the actual dub to see if any company would license it,than toei animation eventually took matters into they're own hands to dub it themselves with the help of blue water studios ( a sub studio part of the ocean group)
Kenshin Shinta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
1.sailor moon was no fluke any long time real anime enthusiasts would know(IMO). 2.I can't speak for all little boys in america but none I know would watch sailor moon for heels and short skirts(and those that do would never admit it to anyone).Why you might ask? gayness is the answer, watching[girls in heels and mini skirts+3 or more guy characters=acceptable| girls in heels and mini skirts +1 male only=Gay 3.five seasons of anime for under 90 dollars I should have known, 20 thousand dollars worth of anime in 2yrs 3mo. and I have never hated a series until now. If I hadn't spent my money I wouldn't have watched them all(darn my complete-ist nature)I almost busted my tv and put a hole through the wall...The anime? Case Closed 1.who takes their daughter and an eight year old to murder cases 2.who talks to little strange kids/answers little kids questions/invites stange kids in the house for milk and cookies/allows kids to touch dead bodys/confess and talk about the murder they committed after being caught everytime/not notice a persons mouth not moving when they talk/how no matter who gets shot with a dart lol they turn and spin into just the right position/what grown *** man would ever let a 17 year old girl kick him and nothing happens(uh not where I come from)/this kid lies on people,steals peoples belongings,steals frm crime scenes,goes in womens purses,ppls computers etc.etc./his shoes are supposed to double his foot strength so..8x2=16yr old strength is that enough to kick a brick 12ft.(I squat 625 and have a brown belt I sure as hell can't)/my favorite how many 8yr olds can carry a woman,much less a man. And why if his mind is still old would he put those other little kids in danger playing detective going after grown-ups(those are some bad *** kids I might Add. sorry for the rant I don't post often so this is not a habit but I had to write about it somewhere sorry folks but I Hate This Anime if I wasn't a collector I'd throw them in the trash(maybe fye would trade me something for them) much luv people Ken
JHawkNH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Mermaid Melody didn't air because no one would take it.

From what I have heard from Matt Greenfield this is effectivly correct. Toei would not allow ADV to market this unless they were able to get it on TV. ADV was not able to get anyone to broadcast it so they could not release any DVD's.

I would love to see DVD's of this series so I hope that someone will eventually put it on TV.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
...I thought they gave this the axe or something cause it wasn't doing well...

Whatever, still not gonna save 4kids.

the real news I was hoping is that the series WILL FINALLY be either sold by a respectable company or be finally go belly under and have their series finally be rescued. Their repeating eps of yugioh 5D's after showing ep 52 which means it's probably gonna go six feet during Q3.

Kyogissun wrote:
I personally don't care about the whole thing, I just think they end up making unnecessary and pointless edits to the anime they localize, considering stupid crap like changing the image of a riceball to a sandwich or a cracker.

I mean seriously, do you REALLY think a kid is going to be confused and turn off their television just because a riceball is on the screen?

I couldnt understand that edit at all. Painting the weapons green and red blood green yea,but that was over the line.

Kyogissun wrote:

And it's other stuff besides that, like their handling of the whole voice actors issue when Pokemon USA took over production of the animation, the banning of those episodes, the One Piece opening edits...

People have a 'lot' of reasons to dislike 4Kids. I don't think anyone wishes personal harm or bad future upon the employees... Maybe the ones MAKING the decisions to make all the unnecessary changes they do but definitely not the ones 'just following orders'.

That mess with the PM VA had a lot of people (ESPECIALLY ME who is a rabid pokemaniac ) mad as hell cause though they wreck a lot of series, at least one saving grace is that they did pokemon right, but they went really one eyed cause of stupid union laws when PUSA wanted to do the series similar to the original script. That alone upseted the people that was defending it.

Also i had no problem with the edits of one piece and watched it without any complaints, BUT not any more after comparing it to the FUNI version which is how anime dubs should be (excluding the decision to include an english version for the OP and ED )

also I too don't want the people that work there to lose their jobs EXCEPT for the CEOs and president, BUT maybe sentai filmworks or section 23 might take the unemployed in now that their are including some dub in their series , cause like it or not,

4 crap & I do mean "CRAP" kids has got to go belly under and soon for all of our sakes & the future for US anime in general.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
JHawkNH wrote:
sailorsarah08 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Mermaid Melody didn't air because no one would take it.

From what I have heard from Matt Greenfield this is effectivly correct. Toei would not allow ADV to market this unless they were able to get it on TV. ADV was not able to get anyone to broadcast it so they could not release any DVD's.

I would love to see DVD's of this series so I hope that someone will eventually put it on TV.

Mermaid Melody isn't a Toei property though. Smile I think it was done by Studio Pierrot? I forget, but it's definitely not Toei.

I disagree with Dela "merely vocalizing" in the original version! She definitely did sing some lyrics in the original version and it was all to the tune of her theme song.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Aww I'm kind of glad. This show was really cute. Now if only they still had the license to Tokyo Mew Mew.
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
This is good news for those North American "Magical DoRemi" viewers who missed some episodes so far, although I don't watch this show.

There are times I wonder why 4Kids Entertainment couldn't just stick to modifying the Anime that target kids instead of trashing up the content of the adult-oriented ones that appeared on 4Kids TV before ("Yu-Gi-oh" for example).
Ranma87

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Nice to hear, hope it gives it another chance at home video, or at having another season dubbed, it was a fairly cute show
Its not getting home video, 90% of 4kids releases don't. Plus 4kids will probably be going bankrupt within the next 6 months.

If you want to keep this series you better go spend $100 on a dvd recorder and a pack of dvd-r's.

I can assure you unless we record it its going the way of Tokyo Mew Mew, Samurai Pizza cats and all the other series that never saw the light of day.

*has a stack of discs ready and finger on record button*
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
If this could mean new episodes airing, that is episodes not aired on TV, then it would be good. Unfortunately, even if they do air they may not air until spring of next year, and by that time CW could decide to pull the show for poor ratings. And even when the new episodes do air they're hardly likely to pick up many new viewers.

So this isn't likely to do much for anime on TV, if anything at all. However, we still don't know what else CW4Kids is going to air. I think those shows could make a much bigger impact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4