• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: TBS to Sell Official K-On!! Audio Cassette Player

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Hey K-ON! fans I have the exclusive on the next hot piece of limited edition merchandise!!

The box is half-full and comes with a certificate of authenticity! Only ¥2400000!! ACT NOW
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
SOLD!!!

That's amazing. Well, that was my hearty laugh of the day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manga1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
merchindising is all about, collectabillity, not practicality, and put out as much stuff as you can that will appeal to the intended audiance, then you worry about stayingpower.

but fifty dollers for a cassett player seriously its expencive and you can find ones with all the functions on ebay or a specialty shop in a big city.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Everyone surprised by this has clearly forgotten about this article and the very first forum reply of "I doubt many people if any still have a cassette player."

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
If you really need a cassette player, eBay has a bunch of them for less than 10 bucks.
Srs. Don't waste your money. That POS can't even record.

Cassette players don't record by definition. Few if any personal cassette devices have ever had recording capability - that's what dictaphones are for.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Quote:
It comes with auto-reverse and auto-stop as standard features

I just noticed this line.
Are there cassette players that DON'T do this?

Yes, while auto-stop is a bit like putting "animated menus" down as an extra feature on a DVD (although I've had cheap old recorders that required you to press the stop key when the tape reached the end), all early cassette players required you to physically eject and turn over the tape until tape heads that either rotated or had two sets of pickups were invented.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Hey K-ON! fans I have the exclusive on the next hot piece of limited edition merchandise!!

*snip*

The box is half-full and comes with a certificate of authenticity! Only ¥2400000!! ACT NOW

Heh, reminds me of this:

Although...I kinda do want the cassette player to go with my incoming LE insert album...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Hell, most news stations still use Beta. I kid you not. Saw one at ATT Park the other day.

Everyone in pro video still uses the BetaCAM formats for professional stuff (in SD, at least). Not the same thing as BetaMAX, but a distant ancestor.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
I guess otaku need something to play those pink tapes, God forbid you go out and play that pink tape to your homies in your Ghetto Blaster.

For crying out loud you can still find off brand walkmans for under $20 that can record and have a radio. Yeah Japan continue to fleece the hand that feeds you. :roll:

Are cassette tapes even being made anymore? Why on earth anyone would this inane prices is beyond me. If you really wanted me, could easily pick a off brand one up for about $15-20 dollars that probably can do more than one thing.

What is even more hilarious is actual price of this over priced players is probably half, if not more than the retail cost. Cheap plastic, paint and hot glue very inexpensive.

But seriously audio cassette players? It would be fine if it were 1994 but it's a little odd people are still making them in 2010.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

[img]

Meh, i'll wait for the K-ON! flamethrower.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
[

Whoa calm down, its just for novelty and collection purposes. No one is making you buy this. Also cassettes and the players aren't mass produce anymore so you can't cheaply make them anymore.

Hey, the girl was looking for a cassette player. I figured I'd steer her to a cheaper one, that'll most likely play the same quality, anyway.

As for the second part, that's why it's so stupid in the first place. It's an obsolete format, being produced for novelty.
chocobolily

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I think it's pretty cute/nostalgic. A bit silly, but no one's being forced to buy it.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
Just for the record, everything that was posted on this thread has been bought by me. You'll receive your payments on Dec. 21, 2012.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
I guess otaku need something to play those pink tapes, God forbid you go out and play that pink tape to your homies in your Ghetto Blaster.

For crying out loud you can still find off brand walkmans for under $20 that can record and have a radio. Yeah Japan continue to fleece the hand that feeds you. Rolling Eyes

Are cassette tapes even being made anymore? Why on earth anyone would this inane prices is beyond me. If you really wanted me, could easily pick a off brand one up for about $15-20 dollars that probably can do more than one thing.

What is even more hilarious is actual price of this over priced players is probably half, if not more than the retail cost. Cheap plastic, paint and hot glue very inexpensive.

But seriously audio cassette players? It would be fine if it were 1994 but it's a little odd people are still making them in 2010.

I guess factories in China are still cranking them out for countries where people still haven't embraced the MP3 model and are still on the Cassette/CD age.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
End result- my home has mp3 players, CD players, casette players, record players, and an 8-track player.

Wait...no reel-to-reel tape machines? No Edison wax cylinder players? That's it, young lady--consider your audio archivist's permit hereby rescinded! Laughing

Actually, my grandmother does, in fact, have a wax cylinder player. So a quick Ebay trip for a reel-to-reel set (or another dig through my relative's stuff) and I get my permit back, right? Wink

In all honesty, this really probably isn't as stupid as we all think- if Japanese Otaku are willing to pay for a casette they can't play, they'll certainly pay for a matching walkman. If only the people who made Cowboy Bebop had thought of this, we could have Faye Valetine Beta tapes and machines floating around.
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Just for the record, everything that was posted on this thread has been bought by me. You'll receive your payments on Dec. 21, 2012.

Nice try, Mr. Still-Gonna-Have-a-Delinquent-Account with various vendors when 12/22/2012 rolls around. Yeah, I said when. Oops. Razz

DuelLadyS wrote:
nagato316 wrote:

That's it, young lady--consider your audio archivist's permit hereby rescinded! Laughing

Actually, my grandmother does, in fact, have a wax cylinder player. So a quick Ebay trip for a reel-to-reel set (or another dig through my relative's stuff) and I get my permit back, right? Wink

Scrounge up Mini-Disc and DAT players and we'll take your reinstatement to the Audio Archeological Society under advisement at a more expedited rate. I guarantee nothing beyond that. Very Happy

DuelLadyS wrote:

In all honesty, this really probably isn't as stupid as we all think- if Japanese Otaku are willing to pay for a cassette they can't play, they'll certainly pay for a matching walkman. If only the people who made Cowboy Bebop had thought of this, we could have Faye Valentine Beta tapes and machines floating around.

As a proud and card-carrying member of the old school, it's not so much stupid as it is...really really steeply priced. But it's like the old saying goes, vote with your wallet, and I guess more power to you (and obviously KyoAni) if you can and choose to do so. I can't, but I'll live...having said that...

I would've have actually considered owning Bebop on Beta back in the day...yes I used to have a player. Besides, it's commonly acknowledged that Beta was better visually than VHS. And taking into account the dollar-to-woolong ratio...*does the calculations*...Dammit! Okay, maybe not. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3