• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Win a Trip to Japan with Pop Japan Travel, Aniplex and ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
well it's not all art. the second contest is a cosplay contest, but that's impossible for me lol
so i guess i might enter the first one... i'm not sure yet though..

You know, I was unaware of that as that itinerary doesn't interest me nearly as much as the Oremo one. Shame that wasn't cosplay, as I am a cosplayer. Shucks. Rolling Eyes Confused Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
pixivXam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Quote:
Contest winners must be 18 years of age or older before embarking on any tour.

Well that blows, I'm 17. What if we get a legal guardian to come with at our own expense? Very Happy

That's a good question, I've been discussing it with my parents and they agree... I just need to know if it's ok by the "rules" to do so
AnimeLover86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
hmmmmm i'm an amateur at drawing but decided to give it a shot, i probably don't stand a chance but ya never know. maybe they take effort into consideration Razz
zade1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
can someone help me and explain what exactly do you need to draw to enter this contest . i mean i know its about oreimo and the other one but what i dont get is do you need to make a picture of the characters like a scene of them together??

please someone help me i would like to give this a try. Thanks in advance.=D
AnimeLover86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
zade1 wrote:
can someone help me and explain what exactly do you need to draw to enter this contest . i mean i know its about oreimo and the other one but what i don't get is do you need to make a picture of the characters like a scene of them together??

i think they just want you to make something creative and unique, don't just get a pic off the net and redraw it. create an original picture that they can't simply google and find Smile
zade1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLover86 wrote:
zade1 wrote:
can someone help me and explain what exactly do you need to draw to enter this contest . i mean i know its about oreimo and the other one but what i don't get is do you need to make a picture of the characters like a scene of them together??

i think they just want you to make something creative and unique, don't just get a pic off the net and redraw it. create an original picture that they can't simply google and find Smile

thank you Very Happy
Umeda_Isao

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! They're really going through with this contest!!! 8D

I'm getting to work on my entry right now! Good luck to everyone who is participating in this =w=b
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
Does it also apply for people who don't live in the US?
axstoro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
So how is this contest going to be judged? The quailty of the art, or the though put into the art?

Like many before have said, its really difficult for someone who isn't artistically good to go against those who have been drawing for years, or even professionals at it.

So is this a contest of who can draw the prettiest picture, or of the idea and though put into the drawing?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
axstoro wrote:
So is this a contest of who can draw the prettiest picture, or of the idea and though put into the drawing?

If I were to enter, in order to compensate for my lack of drawing skill compared to others, I would draw the funniest picture I could think of. I actually have tons of ideas that I want to do, but I'm not entering, so it'd be a waste. So if you can't draw, you should probably just try to do something funny and creative.

Here's a protip: AIC, the company that makes OreImo, also made Ah My Goddess, Tenchi Muyo, My Bride is a Mermaid, and worked on Gurren Lagann. Just throwin that out there to see if anyone gets a crazy idea to do a funny crossover drawing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coffeebeat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Woot! an art contest! I for one am glad to see companies still holding these. At least for me, its rare to find that these days. I dont think its a big deal that its strictly a drawing contest...artist work hard to get as good as they can, even those gifted w/artistic ability from birth have to work to refine their skills. For those who say they cant draw, practice makes perfect!Smile

I do agree that its nice to mix it up once in a while if its constantly nothing but art contests and if they hold tons every year. Hrmm..what about an anime american idol type contest? Lol. Where the person sends in a video of them singing a song from the anime the conest is for. Muahaha! >X) (I wouldnt enter since I can't sing. =P But kudos for those who can)

I'm going to enter this contest even if I dont have a chance of winning. =^^=
zade1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
coffeebeat wrote:
Woot! an art contest! I for one am glad to see companies still holding these. At least for me, its rare to find that these days. I don't think its a big deal that its strictly a drawing contest...artist work hard to get as good as they can, even those gifted w/artistic ability from birth have to work to refine their skills. For those who say they can't draw, practice makes perfect!Smile

I do agree that its nice to mix it up once in a while if its constantly nothing but art contests and if they hold tons every year. Hrmm..what about an anime american idol type contest? Lol. Where the person sends in a video of them singing a song from the anime the conest is for. Muahaha! >X) (I wouldnt enter since I can't sing. =P But kudos for those who can)

I'm going to enter this contest even if I don't have a chance of winning. =^^=

I agree with you even though some are gifted with art talent not all is fun and easy sure it may seem that way but art takes time and patience to create something you'll be satisfy with
i for one am good with art and others have said to me that my art looks professional but i wont say im the best or anything ill take it one step at a time and there's always room for improvement
so heres advice for the people who said they can't draw.

take it easy and draw to your liking as long as you have patience and the will to draw nothing is impossible =D
good luck to all
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
I'd eneter, but since I already live in Japan I think Ill just wander over to the Anime Fair like I do every year Wink
peachbun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
Hi~
It says the max size is 600px wide x 800px tall...
But I just wondered if an entry could be 800 wide x 600 tall too? It's the same size, just turned sideways...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

It is a shame, though, since I think a "Write A Review" contest goes really well with what tempest asked, especially since ANN is partially a review site and many would love to have their review immortalized on the site forever.

Back when we were much smaller we did some review contests. They were a lot of work, but they were a lot of fun and hugely successful. The winners got a position as ANN reviewers (sadly none of those reviewers are still with us, but some of them stayed for many years).

Sadly, if we did that today, it would be "too successful." No one on staff has the time or energy to read 10,000 review submissions. Whatsmore, anime fandom has gotten younger since then, so we'd get a lot of reviews from teenagers who don't have polished writing skills yet (and don't realize it).

I'd still love to do it. But it would be hugely impractical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4