• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces Evangelion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProfessorOhki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
A few years back, a PBS station in San Jose (KTEH), aired the sub of eva uncut (to the best of my knowledge), complete with toothpicks, rivers of blood, etc. If PBS can show it unedited, why the hell can't a cable network *sigh* Well, here's to hoping AS does the right thing... I'd like to see it again because, the first time, I caught the eps out of order (a bit confusing to say the least).
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
Ferquin wrote:
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
anyone know if this will be the original version or the recently-released platinum edition?

I would think it'd be the Platinum edition to help drive DVD sales, and because it's so well-restored, the show looks almost done in digi-cel. It'd be a stupid idea to broadcast the old washed-out version with the unfixed dubs. I just hope AS actually puts in the sign subtitles. 'Cause even though I've got all of Paranoia Agent on DVD, I can see where a lot of people are gonna get lost without sign translations in Eva (or at least miss some good gags, i.e. spoiler[naked Shinji and toothpicks]) like they've been doing now with PA.

[edit]Oh, and yeah, to help push the live-action movie.

With basic cable, even the PE version will look grainy like the vhs tapes. How is it with digital cable or digital satilite.

As for for Evangelion being a classic, they can show Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Ball and Trigun over and over again and still gain some popularity.
emory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
ProfessorOhki wrote:
A few years back, a PBS station in San Jose (KTEH), aired the sub of eva uncut (to the best of my knowledge), complete with toothpicks, rivers of blood, etc. If PBS can show it unedited, why the hell can't a cable network *sigh* Well, here's to hoping AS does the right thing... I'd like to see it again because, the first time, I caught the eps out of order (a bit confusing to say the least).
I guess not enough people watched to warrant a complaint, but that's really stupid of KTEH to do that. I could go to http://www.parentstv.org and use their little form to fill out a complaint, and the FCC will go and fine KTEH tens of thousands of dollars.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:54 am Reply with quote
PrimitivePrimate wrote:
You know i just realized why on earth ADV would allow Adult swim to show Eva, think about it like this. If the show gets popular with its now wide area showing. It will lay the ground work to get a movie studio to help with the distribution and help pay for part of the making of the 3 to 5 part movie series of the live action Evangelion movie they want to make .... I mean everyone here must know about WETA workshop (the guys who did Lord of the rings) have being doing preliminary work on eva for the last 2 years (drawings, basic 3d models) and Peter jackson said in an interview once that he was thrilled to have WETA work on a live action eva (because it was broadcasted in Australia and New Zealand with subtitles when it was also shown in japan). Just think about it, how do you build popularity for a show that all the anime fans want to see made into a live action movie? you put it on the television block that beats out even Leno and Letterman in numbers of viewers for the biggest most important demographic of tv and movie viewers.

If this takes off im soooooo hoping WB or FOX takes notice and helps them off with making a live action eva

That and ADVs going down the tube and needs more money Anime hyper
JoPaco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:08 am Reply with quote
ADV is goin down the tube? is this true?
AncientDragonValgaav

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:04 am Reply with quote
A few thoughts:

First of all, I was under the assumption that Evangelion would never air on a major network, so this is a pleasant event. I think it may be a great way to bring in the more casual viewers, but not all of the AS fanbase will appreciate it (Anything above the complexity of InuYasha wantonly swinging his sword around is too much for their brains to handle.).

Secondly, I don't want a live action Evangelion. No matter who does the special effects I doubt it can be done well.

Finally, ADV seems to be in the hole. ADV spent a ton of money last year on licenses, but this year I only recall them licensing Macross. Also, they have unlicensed a series or two.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:45 am Reply with quote
Even though ADV is not one of my favorite licensing groups I'm still glad Adult Swim will show NGE. Maybe in the future they might bring Saiyuki or Soul Hunter to Adult Swim that be quite a treat. I still haven't seen a lot of NGE maybe a very FEW tidbits of the anime and none of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
ProfessorOhki wrote:
I guess not enough people watched to warrant a complaint, but that's really stupid of KTEH to do that. I could go to http://www.parentstv.org and use their little form to fill out a complaint, and the FCC will go and fine KTEH tens of thousands of dollars.

it was on around like 3am or so.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
lj1958

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
Given what I know of Cartoon Network's offical response to suggestions they show Eva on Adult Swim a year or two ago...hell just officially froze over.
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That and ADVs going down the tube and needs more money

JoPaco wrote:
ADV is goin down the tube? is this true?

Welcome to the Internet, where sarcasm abounds in just about everything.That's probably why the first poster used a smiley...

I'll be interested to see how edited the series is; that's basically the only reason I can think of to watch it. I don't think the spoiler[shower of blood from whatever episode that was] will be a problem. It's so over-the-top and unrealistic that they probably don't need to edit it. I wonder if any of the quasi-religious symbolism will throw the editing staff out of whack. Maybe we'll get a statement of something like, "The views in this show don't necessarily represent those of staff, blah blah blah." Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
Finally. My thread that was made before this one was locked!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangod
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
This would have been exciting news if it was 3 or 4 years ago now it's meh who cares what about 80% of anime fans have already seen EVA. AS might as well gotten something more "fresh" like Rahxephon or even Fahner.

[sarcasm]Yeah, and since we all know that every single person who watches Adult Swim is a hardcore fan who bought the entire series on VHS eight years ago, this is a collosal waste of time and money. Where does Cartoon Network get off bringing one of the greatest series of all time to American television? Jerks.[/sarcasm]

I actually had the same reaction as ZODDGUTS. This would have been absolutly cool a few years ago, now it's actually a nuscience. I'm not nessicarly a person who bought the Eva VHS eight years ago...because I've only been an anime fan for 6 years, but I mean, something as old as Eva that practicly everyone has seen? If you can rent an anime at Blockbuster, or buy for like $5, then why air it on TV? I've never understood why the remastered versions were brought out in the first place, let alone this. The only reason I'll watch Eva on AS is the last few eps because I have yet to see those, but other than that, I don't see much point in me rewatching an anime I saw 3-4 years ago. It's not going to generate any large number of new fans (definatly not like Naruto will) so I still see no point, but whatever, that's their decission. I find it comical, but whatever.

Actually I've only seen the first 2 episodes, because I bought volume 1 and never got volume 2. So since Evangelion is going to be airing then this will be my chance to see it. Yes I've heard it's a great anime by alot of people. I do believe there are alot of people out there who haven't seen it like me because their people who haven't seen new anime or are just getting into it. Your'e right about Naruto though that anime is addictive.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
anyone know if this will be the original version or the recently-released platinum edition?
It will most likely be a version similar to the "Toonami Version" of "Tenchi Muyo" OVA. Wink

thecactusman17 wrote:
I also dread the soon to follow Edit Lists Sad

First off, there is no chance that it would go on Toonami, because some episodes just can't be edited that much without seriously detracting from the series. The only logical place it could air in any form is on Adult Swim. That said, I highly doubt it will be severely edited. I'd say that Adult Swim could get away with most of the stuff in Eva. Sure, nudity will be edited (i.e. no more nipples, but that's it), and maybe some blood will be removed. However, it should air mostly intact. The scene I'm worried about is spoiler[when Shinji and Unit 01 burst out of the inside of the shadow angel (can't remember the name or episode number) and there's a river of blood flowing down the streets...]
That's what most fans thought about "Tenchi Muyo OVA" until we eventually saw just what they could, and did, do to it. Let us not forget that the concept of Toonami was targeted toward action titles for 12 and up demography, but CN forgot about the up part and didn't realise how many more older people, (older meaning above the age of 17) they had watching their output. It was because of the horrible butchering of Tenchi Muyo OVA, and the major outcry afterwards that Adult Swim owes it's existance to no mistake. So we just might see "Urotsukidoji" airing on AS some day, but it remains to be seen how they treat EVA to be able to say for sure.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:

I'd have to say that they would be showing the original version, unless they decided to show the platinum edition with subtitles. Subtitles aren't really that necessary for most of the show, but Eps. 25 and 26 would make almost no sense without subtitles for the platinum release, as a good portion of those two episodes are text.
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
ProfessorOhki wrote:

When I take over the world, ultra conservatives will be shot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5