• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-05-01

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RakuenOokami

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I think everyone wanted to respond with the song 'Everyone's A Little Bit Racist'. And it's true, but as a Sailor Venus cosplayer, I'm proud to say I'm not that racist! I have respect for anyone willing to get into a crazy costume, regardless of body type, skin color or gender. At the end of the day we're all silly dorks in costume, so do we really need to judge each other more than the rest of the world is already judging us for our weirdness?
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
I... actually thought she was being made fun of for being slightly bigger than your average anime girl (including Misato. ESPECIALLY Misato, given some of the art of her that I've seen.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Is it time to point out that American conventions, which have (at least at the ones I've been to) a majority of white attendees, are all dressed as Japanese people, and therefore just as inaccurate? Not that it matters, obviously.
Could that be down to Japanese anime making their characters look European? Not that it matters. Laughing
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:
Is it time to point out that American conventions, which have (at least at the ones I've been to) a majority of white attendees, are all dressed as Japanese people, and therefore just as inaccurate? Not that it matters, obviously.
Could that be down to Japanese anime making their characters look European? Not that it matters. Laughing

Heh, I was actually going to joke earlier about most anime characters being white...
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:

Actually this is something that sort of peeves me off. There was a small flare up on the internet about Americans cosplaying Japanese characters and then they show cosplay of Auska, the Gundam Wing boys, and Yuki Nagato.

Yes these characters were created in Japan but the characters themselves aren't Japanese. Auska is German, only one GW pilot is Japanese and Yuki is an alien. It just further illustrates how silly it is to complain that a fan from South America wants to dress as Russia because they love the material is in the wrong.

Cosplay is (and should be) about coming together over a shared love of something. And not that I have taken way to serious a stance on a comedic comic strip I will go sit in the corner and huff.

...... *huff*
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to respond to this. The whole thing just seems so silly to me.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

And thats the joke.
Texas84

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
That wasn't racist. It was bigoted. There's a difference.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:
If you say/think racist things and acknowledge they're racist, then you are not a racist.

If you say/think racist things and don't acknowledge that they're racist, then you are a racist.

The f*ck is this? A non-retarded comment on these forums?

What the hell? Is this a dream or something?... Shocked
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
yuetheguardian wrote:
i live in detroit and this is even funnier because at youmacon i have seen characters not the "proper" color all the time i just roll with it if they love the characters and want to be them then more power to them. I'm sure the orinal creators would be pleased as punch that their characters are popular across demographic, incidently this is my same feeling for cross playing, man girls have some of the best cosplay designs to work with.

Always glad to see a fellow Detroiter!

I've seen many cosplayers at Youmacon and I agree that race doesn't matter. I have many good friends who cosplay down there. The only time a problem with race and cosplay has ever really come up though was when Youmacon was in Troy. I think the change of venue has helped people to see more cosplay and a better variety of it so their views have changed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
And it's not like there isn't racism is anime. Smile Anti-Americanism is a form of racism. In fact there's racism in any racial group, it's just the whites who get the most attention for it.

Speaking of racism, has anyone else noticed how in Attack on Titan the human characters look more Western while the titans look more Japanese? Although that might just be because the titans are large enough that they don't need anime eyes.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

Pretty much. I mean, besides the settings for anime, you wouldn't know many of these characters were Japanese. The only one I can currently think of would be that P&S episode that used really serious animation where you directly see that the characters are Japanese without any doubt. Either way, insane fans like those need to be ignored, they obviously have a poor definition of reality.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
We're not racist! We hate everyone equally! Laughing
(Or in Japanese case, lacist.)

Mohawk52 wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:

They hate how they look with their double-fold eyelid? Very Happy
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Speaking of racism, has anyone else noticed how in Attack on Titan the human characters look more Western while the titans look more Japanese? Although that might just be because the titans are large enough that they don't need anime eyes.

Not really... they're done in a different style, yes, but they look nothing like the Asian characters we've seen (Mikasa and her mother).

And most of the characters look Western simply due to setting: It takes place in a central/western European area (most likely Germany or Germany/France), or an equivalent area.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, on so many levels. It's funny (and sad) because it's true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3