• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Free! Swim Team TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

What I'm talking about are the more "casual" anime fans who you'd find on a place, like, say, MAL or the CR forums. Guys who mostly read mainstream shounen and stuff. They're the most vocal haters of yaoi.

Actually Crunchyroll's forums have a lot of fujoshi, and Free! has gotten a lot of approval on the forums in CR.

And of course, CR made a great decision to stream it. It has generated a lot of member interest on CR and it's a sports anime and sports anime usually doesn't get another venue to be seen.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Ok, then I don't see the problem. I guess my concern is whether it would be a series about swimming that just happened to have attractive guys, or a series about attractive guys in fanservicey situations that just happened to have swimming.

And if it is? Why do you give a fudge.

Seriously guys. If you aren't interested in the show, don't [expletive] watch it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

Actually Crunchyroll's forums have a lot of fujoshi, and Free! has gotten a lot of approval on the forums in CR.

That doesn't change the fact that CR's forums are about as casual as you can get. And where there's casuals, there's yaoi-and-fuoshii-haters.

I don't go on those forums anymore. There's way too much stupidity in a way that would make MAL blush.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy

Will the moe (lack of main moe female cast) faction start bitching about this and that, like they did with Aku no Hana Laughing Looking forward to the reactions !
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Ok, then I don't see the problem. I guess my concern is whether it would be a series about swimming that just happened to have attractive guys, or a series about attractive guys in fanservicey situations that just happened to have swimming.

And if it is? Why do you give a fudge.

Seriously guys. If you aren't interested in the show, don't [expletive] watch it.

Given my hatred of moe, it would be hypocritical of me not to call it out for pandering as opposed to having a plot. I'm not asking for fanservice, just to have an actual story. Not a big deal, really.
DukeNukem3DO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:

That doesn't change the fact that CR's forums are about as casual as you can get. And where there's casuals, there's yaoi-and-fuoshii-haters.

I don't go on those forums anymore. There's way too much stupidity in a way that would make MAL blush.
Or is it because some of the people on this forum have taste and didn't gush over the free pv (that somehow turn into a real anime series is beyond me) while an 1 episode ova like little witch academia didn't
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! Thank you Crunchyroll! Smile
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
DukeNukem3DO wrote:
Or is it because some of the people on this forum have taste and didn't gush over the free pv (that somehow turn into a real anime series is beyond me) while an 1 episode ova like little witch academia didn't

I should note that CR has Little Witch Academia, which I really enjoyed. And LWA is getting a North American release. And the way the story is told perfectly fits a 26-minute OVA.

LWA was done as part of Anime Mirai and was a way for young animators to be able to artistically express themselves in a way that a conventional TV anime wouldn't. And I wouldn't rule out a future TV Anime of it either

As to taste, that is a subjective matter. If it's a real sports anime, I will watch it. If it's guys doing guy stuff with very little actual swimming then I'll just watch other stuff and let the fujoshi have their shows.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
LWA was done as part of Anime Mirai and was a way for young animators to be able to artistically express themselves in a way that a conventional TV anime wouldn't. And I wouldn't rule out a future TV Anime of it either

It was also a huge sum of money courtesy of the government. That's an outlier in production and not something you can take lightly. It allowed them to express themselves in a way that they almost never have the budget for because business anime hasn't operated like that since the boom era. If they made a LWA TV anime and it bombed, that would be extremely damaging to Trigger. Either way, a TV series would have a far lower budget, so they'd have to fall back on the setting and characters more and not the animation quality.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I imagine we'll be hearing a Sentai license soon.

I sincerely hope so since they got most of KyoAni's stuff and remember when the first PV came out most of the hype was coming from the Western audience than in Japan so they would be stupid not to get this show. For once a series has more popularity here than in Japan (Where it got mixed reactions or rage from KyoAni otaku) and Crunchyroll's bogus petition proved this.

So please Sentai get this subbed/dubbed I don't care I just want it. xD I already put it down for my Christmas present well the Amazon gift card I'm going to get to buy it with so please don't let me down. Very Happy
DukeNukem3DO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
But it still doesn't change the fact that shows like free is what's wrong with the anime industry today because of these idiotic fujoshi pandering shows coming out lately
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But it still doesn't change the fact that shows like free is what's wrong with the anime industry today because of these idiotic fujoshi pandering shows coming out lately

And certain people are all like "But these yaoi-haters and fujoshi-haters you talk about don't exist!" and. Ugh...
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Wait, this is based on a novel? I thought it was original...but the novel angle has me intrigued. Is there any information on I the novel? (I couldn't figure out the novel's release date from the article...)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
I cannot remember perfectly, but I think it was a Light Novel called High Speed!, and it was never actually published--it was suggested to KyoAni's LN division as a possible novel for them to publish, but they never did. They merely took the idea and made this anime based off of it.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I cannot remember perfectly, but I think it was a Light Novel called High Speed!, and it was never actually published--it was suggested to KyoAni's LN division as a possible novel for them to publish, but they never did. They merely took the idea and made this anime based off of it.

It's going to be published in conjunction with the airing of the anime. It's also about the main cast as kids when they were on their elementary school swim team together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5