• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica 1 Sells 22,000 as #1 Selling January TV Anime BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

What moral issues? Madoka isn't a lolicon title, if that's what you're saying. As for the violence, it isn't even worth a second thought given some of the titles already licensed as well as certain Hollywood movies.

The first impression of "mainstream" anime sites weren't really focused on its merit or issues, as far as I recall. I'm not going into more detail, but personally I think a site like this one could make a fuss for Madoka.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

What moral issues? Madoka isn't a lolicon title, if that's what you're saying. As for the violence, it isn't even worth a second thought given some of the titles already licensed as well as certain Hollywood movies.

The first impression of "mainstream" anime sites weren't really focused on its merit or issues, as far as I recall. I'm not going into more detail, but personally I think a site like this one could make a fuss for Madoka.

Looking back at the Winter Previews for the first episode, I see universal praise for the visuals and a mix of praise and cautious optimism for the storytelling. Nobody gave Madoka less than a 3. I'm not seeing much of a fuss.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
Am I the only one who read this, and now wishes to see the show more then ever?

Someone PLEASE pick this show up and either stream it, or license it.

I REALLY want to see it!!!
Very Happy

There's nothing stopping you from watching fansubs of an unlicensed series, you know... Anime hyper

Especially since the R1 companies were already incredibly dense not to have already licensed it, and have shown no plans to do so anytime soon.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Jozoiscute wrote:

Very Happy

There's nothing stopping you from watching fansubs of an unlicensed series, you know... Anime hyper

Especially since the R1 companies were already incredibly dense not to have already licensed it, and have shown no plans to do so anytime soon.

truly good series deserve money so they can keep producing more of them. on the other note I could see Nisa picking this up since this is a niche title and it does fit into the demographic they sell to here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Where would anime be without paranoid fans?
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

truly good series deserve money so they can keep producing more of them. on the other note I could see Nisa picking this up since this is a niche title and it does fit into the demographic they sell to here.

What. NISA which, if it licensed this series, would probably put it out without a dub? Hell no, not without a dub...(though they'd probably put out a pretty nifty special edition for it).

But seriously, the content of this show reaches far beyond the usual demographic for magical girl shows. (and it doesn't take a dozen episodes to make that clear!) I mean look at me: the last magical girl show I ever saw a significant portion of was either Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. I haven't given a damn about the genre since then, yet this show has become one of my most favorite series of all time... anything less than a full localization, and I would be disappoint. It just needs some smart, effective marketing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

Where would anime be without paranoid fans?

I'm talking about the press actually.... But anyway it's a moot point as despite its success I don't see anyone bringing it out of Japan for a long time, if ever.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
Jozoiscute wrote:

Very Happy

truly good series deserve money so they can keep producing more of them.

I'm not saying it doesn't deserve money, because it does. However, Jozoiscute seems to think he has to wait to watch the series until whenever some company realizes this is a hit and figures out that it might benefit them to license it. He doesn't have to wait (for what will most likely be a year or so), because it's not illegal to watch the series fansubbed if no one was smart enough to license it.

But buy it once it is Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
But anyway it's a moot point as despite its success I don't see anyone bringing it out of Japan for a long time, if ever.

Yeah, if the Japanese are asking for too much money. They have to realize that, despite the merits, magical girls series haven't been hot sellers in N. America since the days of Sailor Moon. Especially magical girl series that don't pander to tween grrrl power. No American company would pay that much for it.

jmaeshawn wrote:
because it's not illegal to watch the series fansubbed if no one was smart enough to license it.

No, fansubs are technically illegal in all countries that signed the Berne Convention on Copyrights. Fans don't really argue the legality of it - it's the ethics that's the point of contention.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, if the Japanese are asking for too much money. They have to realize that, despite the merits, magical girls series haven't been hot sellers in N. America since the days of Sailor Moon. Especially magical girl series that don't pander to tween grrrl power. No American company would pay that much for it.

The point is another: the NA market has collapsed and I doubt it'll get back to its former glory, so there's no incentive to risk (not to mention its over-reliance on simulcasts and less about actual physical releases nowadays). In EU, the markets that could easily support stuff like Madoka (Italy, France, Spain) simply don't possess will or money to pay the license.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as how they would market this if it did get released outside of Japan. From it's first impression, it looks like a show for little girls but it has a darker story intended for young adults, likely male. What would they put on the cover?
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
I'm curious as how they would market this if it did get released outside of Japan. From it's first impression, it looks like a show for little girls but it has a darker story intended for young adults, likely male. What would they put on the cover?

Perhaps Gekidan Inu Curry-- the guys behind the witch design and their super surreal environments-- could have a role in the cover art. You know that cool little art that showcased the main cast at the end of episode 12, in their style? Something cool and "edgy" like that, to hint more at the true nature of the series (though that could ruin the "surprise" of said nature). On a black or dark-colored box.

Or the licensor could do something somewhat more creatively uninspired like this... Confused :

It's kinda hard to see how PMMM couldn't make it over here eventually, barring whatever money issues (which I think could prove a moot point if Aniplex USA licensed it). I mean, if Funimation took a chance with Strike Witches, one of the most hardcore of hardcore otaku stuff out there, there shouldn't be worser qualms about licensing this. Especially since the western fan reaction has been so undeniably positive...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
Aniplex USA can try to sell the blu-ray collection set for $300, no dub is needed.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
Eh, so far it's only been Garden of Sinners with that astronomical a price tag. And considering the backlash that has gotten, I doubt something so ridiculous will be done for a series. Really, how much they'll charge will probably depend on the extra content they put in it. Looking at what else they're offering, there seems to be (at least somewhat) more reasonable prices. For example:

The ROD Complete Set, which has the tv series, the 3 OVAs, a deluxe box simulating the JAPN release, and more for something b/w $200 and $150.

Durara: Each 9-ish episode set is b/w $40 & $50, but the sets have their own extras as well. Plus, it has a dub.

But then again... so far, they really haven't released much themselves over here, so it's kinda hard to see where they would take a 12 ep series like Madoka. Man, Aniplex USA releasing it here doesn't sound as appealing as it did to me earlier, not as the fiscal-minded consumer I am...
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

It's kinda hard to see how PMMM couldn't make it over here eventually, barring whatever money issues (which I think could prove a moot point if Aniplex USA licensed it). I mean, if Funimation took a chance with Strike Witches, one of the most hardcore of hardcore otaku stuff out there, there shouldn't be worser qualms about licensing this. Especially since the western fan reaction has been so undeniably positive...

I wouldn't be surprised that since the reception to the show has been so positive (in Japan at least with the high sales) that the licensers might want too much for their licences; more than what companies here can afford. And since in Japan BD are priced quite extravagently - impractically, outside of Japan - we might have to wait until all the BD of PMMM are out in Japan and then a bit longer in case of back importation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4