• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Future Diary Complete Series DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stall_19

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
It was pretty good......for the first few episodes. Then once I got desensitized to the shock value violence I realized that there was nothing beyond that. The characters are pretty one note with an exception or two, the plot nonsensical, especially near the end. Who were we suppose to root for? The most likeable character to me is the terrorist who bombed a freaking school. Not the worst thing ever but I would not call this series good.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
I think what bothered me the most about Future Diary is the wasted potential....I mean, the premise is a little fascinating. He's trapped. He needs Yuno to survive, but she's a depraved maniac. He can't measure up to her fantasies, she's not a very lovable person (at least, as portrayed), and she'd kill him for if she found out. There's so much mind-game potential there, and the show acknowledges it exists and walks right on by. It's almost worse than if they'd just ignored it, then I wouldn't have bothered watching.
I agree, I found the whole idea that he has to rely on his stalker to survive kind of delicious, but then the show just turns into a train wreck. I watched it when it aired and frankly I found it to be kind of dull in spite of all the violence. Flat characters, numbing violence, and what felt like choppy story telling made it a chore to sit thru. I was really disappointed at the time because I had been looking forward to it.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am happy this show exist solely for the abriged series bellow which is one of the funiest ones in recent years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRhlFFIvns
Just watched all 9 of those posted and it was pretty hilarious. One of the comments posted was "better than the dub!" and after reading Hope's review it just cracked me up.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
I'm curious Hope, what are your thoughts on Akise, the gay character who, surprisingly, isn't played for comic relief? I thought he was one of only 2 or 3 characters who could be called, dare I say, “well-written”, along with Ninth and, depending on how you define “well-written”, Twelfth.
CarnivalCorpse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
i'm still hoping this gets A UK home release, survival game type shows/stories have always appealed to me and warrant a purchase.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
This is always the flimsy argument of people who have internalized their fandom and have no actual defense against critique for the things they like. True objectivity may not exist, but there's a reason the Mona Lisa is a priceless national treasure while the drawing of a T-rex with a jetpack I drew when I was 10 sits on my grandma's wall collecting dust.

So what does CB and PA have to do with it? They ain't exactly as popular as Bake or Madoka are. Cowboy Bebop and Paranoia Agent sure as hell wouldn't be considered masterpieces if we're going off popularity.

Quote:
How dare them womenfolk sully themselves before their wedding night! Harlots and sinners, the lot of them!

Just because it's cultural/religious tradition doesn't mean it isn't an archaic and sexist belief system.

Cept for the ones who do believe in it and value it, but I guess they don't count because only your views count, naturally. =P This is the internet so can't be too surprised people think their views must be the universal standard and other beliefs have zero room to be tolerated or accepted. I love it when people speak for women everywhere in topics about sexism and they don't have a choice in the matter. >_> So much delicious irony in it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
Future diary was so drunk on spectacle and absurdity that I found it impossible to take seriously, even to be offended or repulsed by it.

Questionerer wrote:
I do not think there is anything that you could objectively deem a 'Masterpiece'. It seems as though you consider 'Cowboy Bebop' and 'Paranoia Agent' masterpieces, but that is you, not everyone.

This is always the flimsy argument of people who have internalized their fandom and have no actual defense against critique for the things they like. True objectivity may not exist, but there's a reason the Mona Lisa is a priceless national treasure while the drawing of a T-rex with a jetpack I drew when I was 10 sits on my grandma's wall collecting dust.

Crispy45 wrote:
Depends on your culture/beliefs/religion. Saving yourself for marriage and stuff.

How dare them womenfolk sully themselves before their wedding night! Harlots and sinners, the lot of them!

Just because it's cultural/religious tradition doesn't mean it isn't an archaic and sexist belief system.

Actually that was quite a poor analogy. To many if not the majority of the world's population its nothing more than oil on canvas, if even that. Sure by what you deem the "cultured" world its a masterpiece, and even there some debate abounds, but show it some farmer in China or some fisherman in Africa, and they would tell you so what? At most they would laugh at you for suggesting this work is worth more than the food they struggle to put on the table. That is exactly the point the original fellow made and quite correctly. Even in your rather contrived analogy his point holds up, you simply cannot create something objective from something objective by it very nature.

Also I find it funny how you scoff at the cultural beliefs of one group when one day your beliefs might be ridiculed by future generations. Beliefs and culture change and there really is no right or wrong if you look at it objectively.

I will leave you with this quote by Albert Einstein:

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
@jesuotaku, you're [insult removed].
But anyway, in response to the other comment (@zeo1fan), first of all, no, I wouldn't put this on the same level as something like Cowboy Bebop; however, I feel it is masterful in it's own right. One important thing that provides me a different opinion on the show than you is in regards to your statements about the characters and themes being unrelatable or not true to life. See, while it does help to have characters you can relate to, that doesn't always have to be the case. The characters can all be psychos and still be enjoyable to watch, and yes, pretty much all the major players in this show are pretty psycho. However, that doesn't take away from the plot. They react to situations as they should even if they are crazy reactions at times - that is because they are crazy. I think it is great actually that they can make such unrelatable characters go through what they go through and allow us (the audience) still be emotionally affected by it. I also don't consider this purely exploitative either. Say what you want, but I don't see the occurrences in this anime that you consider exploitative to be such because these elements were important to the whole story. Yes, a lot of it was disturbing, but these scenes weren't disturbing simply for the sake of being disturbing.

But again, no, I definitely don't place it on the same level of Cowboy Bebpop and similar highly acclaimed works, but it is also hardly comparable, different planes we're looking at here.

P.S. You see my avatar? That's a masterpiece for ya right there as well Smile

Last edited by animemaster1 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Quote:

Cept for the ones who do believe in it and value it, but I guess they don't count because only your views count, naturally. =P This is the internet so can't be too surprised people think their views must be the universal standard and other beliefs have zero room to be tolerated or accepted. I love it when people speak for women everywhere in topics about sexism and they don't have a choice in the matter. >_> So much delicious irony in it.

Let's be very clear about exactly what "views" we are discussing here, Crispy45.

We are not talking about a view like "I believe sex is something sacred and special that should be saved for marriage, but I apply this equally to men and women, and try not to judge others lest I be judged. At least for myself, though, I personally believe that, and I will definitely save myself for marriage."

We're not talking about a simple factual statement like "well, some cultures/people really value virginity in a woman, so if you lose yours for any reason, it might unfortunately cause problems for you later on or cause some people to look down on you."

We're not talking about a statement like "well, technically speaking if you're a woman and you lose your virginity, it's not coming back." (Which is only sort of true, there are medical procedures to restore the physical evidence of virginity. Though they can't literally undo the fact that someone has had sex, I believe they can at least make someone once again appear "pure" to those who care about such things.)

But no, what we were talking about, or at least what Hope was first talking about, is a view like "If a woman is violently raped she is forever defiled and rendered impure, and it will completely tarnish her soul, perhaps turning her pure evil, perhaps making her incredibly foul-mouthed and super lustful. Regardless of the exact result, being raped makes the woman impure and tainted for the rest of her life." The discussion has started to drift, but this was the primary point Hope brought up that spawned this whole conversation.

I "tolerate" that view only in the sense that the US has free speech and I don't think people should be arrested or anything for saying that. But that's pretty much it. That is the limit of my acceptance. If you feel that makes me an intolerant horrible person, fine. If you think it's ironic and that I am somehow speaking for women everywhere and denying them choices just because I think that viewpoint is pretty ****ing repulsive, fine.

But a line has to be drawn somewhere. I'm pretty sure you draw a line too. I mean, I doubt you expect anyone to "tolerate and accept" views that state things like "murder is pretty okay actually, completely moral." I doubt you'd accuse someone who says "murder is generally wrong" of denying people choices and speaking for women (and well men too) everywhere and say it's ironic.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Cowboy Bebop and Paranoia Agent sure as hell wouldn't be considered masterpieces if we're going off popularity.

What...what planet do you hail from? O_o???? CB is one of the most popular anime in the western world by miles. Unless you mean that only opinions from glorious Nihon count in this odd equation you've set up, in which case you have to flip the script and account for the large Japanese reverence toward Satoshi Kon.

StormSky92 wrote:
I completely disagree and thought this series was really great. But, since this is the internet and I know how it works, I won't explain my reasoning, as i'll only get flamed and raged at.

animemaster1 wrote:

Look, twins!
Questionerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

But no, what we were talking about, or at least what Hope was first talking about, is a view like "If a woman is violently raped she is forever defiled and rendered impure, and it will completely tarnish her soul, perhaps turning her pure evil, perhaps making her incredibly foul-mouthed and super lustful. Regardless of the exact result, being raped makes the woman impure and tainted for the rest of her life." The discussion has started to drift, but this was the primary point Hope brought up that spawned this whole conversation.

Did Hope actually ever say this? Wasn't what spawned "this" conversation something someone posted in a spoiler as a reply to the emotional content of the anime...?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

StormSky92 wrote:
I completely disagree and thought this series was really great. But, since this is the internet and I know how it works, I won't explain my reasoning, as i'll only get flamed and raged at.

animemaster1 wrote:

Look, twins!

Nah, you're being too harsh on StormSky92. I thought his post was kind of silly, but at least he wasn't being blatantly insulting and weird... just kind of weirdly passive aggressive.

Or perhaps your comment is some reference or joke that just completely flew over my head.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
@Jesuotaku: You seem good at posting the least meaningful or constructive replies on the forum here. Congrats.

Though I suppose it's good to know you at least recognize that Cowboy Bebop is indeed as universally popular as it is (unlike Cocoa Crispy 45 or whatever his name is).

Last edited by animemaster1 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
Questionerer wrote:

Did Hope actually ever say this? Wasn't what spawned "this" conversation something someone posted in a spoiler as a reply to the emotional content of the anime...?

Well, I paraphrased a bit, but this is what spawned the conversation.

JesuOtaku wrote:

Such as spoiler[the emotional and engaging multiple rape scenes, both of which imply that taking a woman's "purity" is an irreversible horror akin to having killed her, automatically destroying her previously angelic soul. The rape will either make her pure evil to the extent that she sics her gang-rapists on other women (ep. 5) or go from being a demure flower to a foul-mouthed horndog overnight. (ep. 17)] The emotional honesty and revealing commentary of Future Diary!

That's not an uncommon attitude, unfortunately. And traces of it show up in too many anime.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Nah, you're being too harsh on StormSky92. I thought his post was kind of silly, but at least he wasn't being blatantly insulting and weird... just kind of weirdly passive aggressive.

Or perhaps your comment is some reference or joke that just completely flew over my head.

I was just referring to the nature of both posts being "I could address this simple, plainly-expressed viewpoint I disagree with, but I'd rather seem superior by saying 'it sucks and it's wrong' with no reasoned rebuttal."

But maybe I am being too snide. Had my yuks, I'll lay off.

animemaster1 wrote:
You seem good at posting the least meaningful replies on the forum here. Congrats.

I already wrote 2,500 words about the show, so I feel I've largely done my part in adding to the discourse. A sentence or two of response to a couple things is probably more than I need to add onto my opinion.

Questionerer wrote:

Yup. It's plain as day on my first post on the first page, don't know how the "debate" suddenly became whether the concept of "purity" is real to some cultures vs. others or whatever weird thing was being tossed around. MadScientist summed it up really well: it's just one of Future Diary's many really terrible ideas about humanity.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
@Jesuotaku: Dude, the reason I said what I said to you is that there was nothing for me to make a rebuttal about. All you did was make some sarcastic remarks based off my post - "oh yea the emotionally engaging rape scenes" blah, blah, blah. So clever. What the hell is there to reason with you about? Hence why I tried negating your comments and move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11