• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Dragon Ball series: Dragon Ball Hoshi.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to look that "Universe F" one up then. I just asked because I wanted to make sure that was fanmanga and didn't, say, copy a scanlation in a part of anything of that nature.
dbz 93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
im a good manga drawer and im thinking about trying to make my own dragon ball manga. then again i tried that when i was 10 and it didn't work out at all.what to do?
Speeddasher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
If this really is true, I'm all for it. Dragon Ball is one of my favorite animes, and I'd love to see a new series. I'm not getting my hopes up, as this very well could be a rumor, but I'd be super excited if it turns out to be real. Especially if it has animation like DBZ Kai's opening.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
When you refer to the animation style of Dragon Ball Z Kai's opening, you mean the new frames they commissioned for it? Though I'm certain any rumors of a new series are now totally ridiculous, I would also love if that were what came out of one. I know that some people said they noticed a difference in the show itself, but Dragon Ball Z Kai otherwise looked liked the original to me. That opening sequence was certainly crisp.
Speeddasher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
When I say Kai's animation, I mean the animation for the opening. I know this series is probably never coming out, but it would be cool if it did.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, like I said, as far as I know it was a hoax, but that style of animation would be very fitting for a series to carry on the Dragon Ball name. Does anyone happen to know who did it? I couldn't find it in the encyclopedia, since the Kai credits to me looked very similar to the original ones.
tsume101

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Well, like I said, as far as I know it was a hoax, but that style of animation would be very fitting for a series to carry on the Dragon Ball name. Does anyone happen to know who did it? I couldn't find it in the encyclopedia, since the Kai credits to me looked very similar to the original ones.

Go on youtube and type in new series dragon ball 2011-2012 Full Hd (Dragon Ball Hoshi) and read the description, im telling you its real!
SoloDolo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
tsume101 wrote:
vashna wrote:

Go on youtube and type in new series dragon ball 2011-2012 Full Hd (Dragon Ball Hoshi) and read the description, im telling you its real!

Those are just animations from the card game "Dragon Ball Heroes" There would have certainly been something leaked on an official website by now if it were in fact to be real! Sorry, but for now you can keep wishing.
LordKamina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
LordKamina wrote:

Using footage from an awful video game released 2 months ago to fool people into thinking a new anime exists = Fail!

Try again!
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
I'm not buying this. I think someone just made it up to have a AF repeat.

Besides, I'm sure ANN would have gotten word of this first and posted an article about it. I don't believe internet rumors unless ANN has said something first.

Rukiia is right... ANN is always the first of all anime database sites to get information about such things... chances are it is an AF repeat... and all the 'proof' material are just trolls having a field day.

Tris8 wrote:
As much as I'd love for this to happen, it seems fishy to me. It'd be good timing though, what with Kai reigniting fan interest in DBZ. As long as it isn't similar to Gt I'll be happy, although honestly I thought the way everything ended was a good place to stop.

Tris8 could also be right though (i underlined the specific line)... good examples from this year would be Trigun movie, Berserk movie(s), Fate/Zero and new Last Exile... all old titles that most people thought would never see the light of day again... It could possibly be an accidental leak (happens all the time in the music industry) and everyone just pounced on it...

But honestly, I absolutely agree with Rukiia... just felt like supporting both sides of the argument...
SecretAgent194

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
LordKamina wrote:

That was just footage from a game edited with the anime english dub. Although it is pretty cool to watch, it's not a new anime. Sad
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
There is a new anime for Dragon Ball. It seems to be called Dragon Ball: SSSS (Saikyo Super Saiyan Secret), or at the very least, that's the codename for the project that brought this to fruition. It's the animated version of Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock, which has been running in Saikyo Jump magazine. I don't know much more than that, as the video is region locked to Japan, and only aired for one day. I'd assume they'll release a DVD/BD for it at some point, though.

http://www.daizex.com/ (18 December 2011 news update)
http://www.b-ch.com/contents/feat_dragonball/
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's a very (sad and) concentrated effort on the part of a few specific YouTubers to:

(a) upload newer animation for the DB franchise
(b) give it the name "DragonBall AF" or "DragonBall Hoshi" in the title and description data
(c) meticulously delete and ban all user comments that point out where the footage is actually from

As noted, the majority of animation simply comes from video games. This year's Ultimate Tenkaichi (Ultimate Blast in Japan) for the PS3/360 featured the first traditional 2D animation opening sequence since 2004's DBZ3 / Budokai 3, and it also featured redrawn cut-scenes that play out major scenes from the original series (things like the first Super Saiyan transformation, etc.)... so it's ripe for these kinds of folks. There are also commercials for the Japanese-only card-based arcade game DragonBall Heroes which showcase avatar characters teaming up with Goku & Co. in new 2D animation, which is also easy pickings for this kind of trend.

But yeah, the anime adaptation of Episode of Bardock debuted at Jump Festa this weekend, and it's streaming from now until January 3rd on the "Bandai Channel" website (which, as noted, unfortunately means it's also heavily region-locked).

Just to clarify it all in one shot, Episode of Bardock:

- was originally written/drawn by Naho Ooishi (also currently responsible for DragonBall SD in Saikyo Jump, which just went monthly)

- was penned as a "sequel" manga to the character's original DBZ TV special from 1990, and tied in heavily with a bunch of other marketing and product releases (Super Saiyan Bardock character in DragonBall Heroes, original Bardock/Trunks TV specials getting individual-disc DVD release for first time ever in Japan, etc.)

- was published in the August, September, and October 2011 issues of V-Jump (one chapter per month)

- was only just recently announced to be receiving an anime adaptation, and that a preview would be shown at Jump Festa

- turns out the entire thing was shown (it's only ~20 minutes long; adapts the three chapters in their entirety), and was subsequently put up for free streaming on the 19th at noon

They've got these two code names floating around ("SSSS Project / Saikyo Super Saiyan Secret Project" & "DragonBall Force Project"), and it's totally unclear as to what they actually mean or relate to. Will there be more projects? Is there a specific team behind the project(s)? Just a one-time dealio? Noooooooooo clue.

That's really what makes these rumors so awful, especially compared to, say, ten years ago. Yeah, there's sorta kinda new stuff lately. No, it's not all under the banner of this "AF" or "Hoshi" nonsense. No, Toriyama really doesn't have a whole lot of involvement (he... err... designed Chilled! Yay!...?).
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
EpicLotus wrote:
There is a new anime for Dragon Ball. It seems to be called Dragon Ball: SSSS (Saikyo Super Saiyan Secret), or at the very least, that's the codename for the project that brought this to fruition. It's the animated version of Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock, which has been running in Saikyo Jump magazine. I don't know much more than that, as the video is region locked to Japan, and only aired for one day. I'd assume they'll release a DVD/BD for it at some point, though.

http://www.daizex.com/ (18 December 2011 news update)
http://www.b-ch.com/contents/feat_dragonball/

EDIT: V-Jump magazine, not Saikyo Jump magazine. My bad Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4