• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Popular Japanese Folk Monsters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Alph4Xerxes wrote:
What, no tanuki? You put in nue, which I hadn't even heard of, but not oni, zakishi warashi, shinigami, etc? I would have thought them all more popular/well-known Confused

They definitely are, but I've written about Death Gods before and Oni could probably have their own article. As for Kitsune (mentioned by a previous poster) that was just a personal choice to exclude. I think they're over done and wanted to highlight some lesser known monsters that still show up regularly.

nargun wrote:
Incidentally the tsuchigumo weren't just people who didn't adhere to the imperial court, but the indigenous [emishi] population after the conquest of touhoku in the late eighth century. See ashitaka from princess mononoke.

I think it's been suggested that the name came from their living in pit houses rather than the [unsuited for the climate, let's be honest] platform structures of the yamato-japanese. Which... yeah. Thousand-year-old racist stereotypes, yay.

Also true! I didn't have enough space to go into as much detail on that as I would have liked.

Ah I didn't see this one because you quoted a different poster.

That being said, the title of the list that you yourself came up with is Popular, yes popular JFM. If something is over done then by definition its popular. If you were so hard up to have a list of obscure monsters, then call it obscure folk monster.

And Yuki Onna, Tengu and a few others are just as over done or close to over done like foxes.

On the other hand Nue and Tschuigumo I would say are a lot more obscure.

So make up your mind, if you just want to be general make a list of 7 youkai and don't add adjectives and modifiers.

[EDIT: Inappropriate comment removed. - Key]
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
@CrownKlown
It seems to me that you are being unnecessarily confrontational. Why does this have you so upset?
It is supposed to be fun isn't it? I think that you are taking it much to seriously, and personally.

The list is not "7 most popular" just "7 popular."
I admit that I did not know the names of some of them, but it seems that they have appeared often enough to qualify as popular. I do not think that there is anything wrong with the list.
I actually learned something from this article.

The only thing that I take exception with is Inuyasha being classified as an Inugami. He really does not fit the description, except for the "dog" part.
Inuyash was born of a human mother. He was not summoned by a ritual.
Other than Kagome's "sit" command he is not controlled by any master.
He is never sent out to murder, and he is nobody's servant.

Other than that I enjoyed the article.
Thanks for the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

The only thing that I take exception with is Inuyasha being classified as an Inugami. He really does not fit the description, except for the "dog" part.

Not all the examples are going to perfect, some of the characters are simply based on or inspired by the traditional stories. I'm glad the article was informative though, that's what I was going for.

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Msag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Inuyash was born of a human mother. He was not summoned by a ritual.
Other than Kagome's "sit" command he is not controlled by any master.
He is never sent out to murder, and he is nobody's servant.

I thought that too, but hey there's the possibility that the Inugami was inspiration for the series/lead character somehow, right? Seems pretty awesome either way, far from putting a damper on the series for me given that the character has a lot of dark moments in the anime.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Tengu and Yuki-Onna were recurring characters in Urusei Yatsura. Actually, you could probably find most or all of the examples in that series.

At the risk of sounding redundant, I kept thinking while reading the list that its the same for Inuyasha too. The kappa shows up in one of Rumiko Takahashi's anthology stories too, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's covered pretty much every Japanese folk creature there is in her works! ^^
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
The more I think about it, I wonder if Tanuki and Fox Spirits were left out because they are more frequently not portrayed as MONSTERS? They are frequently the protagonists...
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Why do cats get such a bad rap? Witches familiars in the West, necromancers in Japan...I'm sure there's some scholarship about that somewhere.

Informative list. The only thing I knew about Tsuchigumo was "creepy spiders," so learning the term stems from historical roots was interesting!

Tallest girl: I voted for Risa, in part to make up for voting for Ed over Otani last time. Love*Com <3

Hey, ever thought about doing a mismatched or most unlikely couples list? Could be fun
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Why do cats get such a bad rap? Witches familiars in the West, necromancers in Japan...

Attach human morality to feline instincts and biology, and see what you come up with.

They can see in the dark (and their eyes glow). That seems magical in a pre-modern-medicine society. (Bats get a pretty bad rap, too.) Magic = evil, at least in the burn-your-witches timeframe.

They're very difficult to train compared to their canine competition, even though they seem as- or more-intelligent. Disloyalty = evil.

They're sneaky. People only sneak when they're up to no good. Sneaky = evil.

They're amazingly efficient killers, pound for pound (I think only weasels and such beat them at that, among mammals. And most animals that hunt things bigger than they are get put on the black-hat team in folklore.) Killers = evil.

They play with their prey; no other common carnivores seem to do that. Torture = evil.

They consider a corpse to be a pretty fun toy, and an awesome gift. Lack of respect for the dead = evil.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Too bad Touhou wasn't included since they have many youkai in the games. But, this is about anime and not games.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
dm wrote:
Do the tengu guardians of the Zashiki Warashi show up in the xxxHoLic anime, or were they only in the manga?

Oh, and what about the tengu in Eccentric Family?

They definitely do! They fly on skateboards and wear sunglasses.

I'm suprised that Bankousoubou from the dead or alive 2 VG wasnt included in the list since he is a Tengu.

And i am also surprised that those giant monster cats that was included in the Konoha filler arc on naruto shippuden didn't get a mention cause i was positive that cat they fought was called a nekomata. And speaking of which , i'm even more surprised that the Kyubbi / Kurama (monster fox ) didn't get a mention since they used that Folk monster for that series and for Yu Yu Hakusho .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkcat1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
What no ninte-tales fox or mischievous fox spirits?
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Really cool list! Glad to see Tengu and Yuki-onna on the list. Sad that the poll is already closed!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3