• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach English Dub Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mihara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Seca wrote:

Apparently you've never bought any of the official Japanese DVDs for Bleach. Since on the packaging for those 'shinigami' is translated to soul reaper several times. Unless you want to say now that the Japanese got it wrong themselves. Unless you want to say now that the Japanese got it wrong themselves.
Which happens...a lot, most a lot of anime are filled with broken English. Even their websites and DVDs have them, you can't always go by those. It's sad, but a lot of the official Japanese companies have people throwing out broken English just for the cool factor. And just for the record, Shinigami IS a Death God, Soul Reaper is made up of different characters most of the time.
ChaosAxess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Anime fans love to hate on everything and to be honest, people rendering judgement on a dub with 30 seconds of edited-together clips are being really dumb.

Also, people saying "JUST AS BAD AS THE NARUTO DUB" are pretty obnoxious and obviously wouldn't know a good dub if they heard one. People are going to complain endlessly about this dub regardless of what they do with it, but from my viewpoint as someone who approaches these things reasonably and fair, it's a great dub - better than Naruto, in my eyes, and I really like that dub.

I couldn't agree more. It really seems like people are arguing for the sake of arguing in this one. Even from the 30 clip, I could easily tell that the dub was high-quality and extremely well done. The names were pronounced amazingly well, and Bosch and Ruff both sounded awesome, in my opinion. If people just generally hate dubs, then they should just stop posting about them. There's no way they can be non-biased if they're completely against all of them.

It's not like Ichigo is being played by some talentless newbie to the business, like Naruto is. He's being played by a highly experienced actor who has played a good amount of main characters and supporting characters. Also, I don't see how you can say a dub is bad when they have voice actors like Patrick Seitz (who also happens to be an awesomely nice guy) who research the series and characters they are working on.

I'm truely looking forward to this dub. I really think it's going to be great. Now I wonder about Trinity Blood...
sakuharu23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Why does every dub conversation have to do with the Naruto dub? I admit to being a bit of a Narutard myself, but this is ridiculous. I like the Naruto dub. Believe it is annoying, but so is dattebayo. It's just Naruto weird ass way of talking.

Anyways, I really like Ichigo and Rukia's voice. Dub Ichigo sounds like a less deep version of the original. Which isn't bad, since Ichigo is only 15. Rukia sounds cool too, however, she sounds a little soft spoken. Japanese Rukia sounded tough, intellegent, confident, strong, proper, and maybe a little condescending. Maybe she should tone down the politeness. However it is only 30 seconds worth of clips! I shouldn't be so judgemental.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
sakuharu23 wrote:
Believe it is annoying, but so is dattebayo. It's just Naruto weird ass way of talking.

I know. He always says that in every line. I wonder if Ichigo will have a catch phrase (That's not annoying).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I think if people have a problem with a dub, I personally am getting to the point where I want to say those people who claims dubs are bad to just go choke and die. Im sick and tired of the whining coming from these elitists who think the Japanese Language is so much better then english. You know I have nothing against Japanese, I honest to god don't. But for christ sakes, sometimes I want to see something in English, is there a problem with that.

For everyone else who claims Naruto's Dub is horrible, they are dead wrong. Its about 20 times better then One piece. I will agree with everybody on One Piece though that was a bloody tragedy. Naruto's Dub has tried the hardest to please these ingrates and still we have to hear them whine and moan.

I am sick to death of it.

If you have a problem with it fine. But I am honest to god sick to death of people's bitching it makes me mad!
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
But if you want to know what really irks me is how completely dismissive these people are of these voice actors. Most of them are trying to make a living and for you to dismiss and trash their work like that, it makes me really mad. I admit I've had problems with maybe one or two voices out of thousands of Shows I've seen. One was Sam Riegel's Shino and the other was Mena Suvari's Aerith.
ChaosAxess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
sakuharu23 wrote:
Why does every dub conversation have to do with the Naruto dub? I admit to being a bit of a Narutard myself, but this is ridiculous. I like the Naruto dub. Believe it is annoying, but so is dattebayo. It's just Naruto weird ass way of talking.

Because it's popular, so easy to compare, at least, that's why I use it. I think the dub is good, actually. I like every voice, excluding Naruto's. "Believe it" is much more noticeable than "dattebayo", but yes, once you actually realize he's saying it, it's pretty annoying. I'm glad I don't like Naruto anymore.

sakuharu23 wrote:
Dub Ichigo sounds like a less deep version of the original. Which isn't bad, since Ichigo is only 15.

Matching the attitude and feeling of the character is more important than pitch of voice, though. That's really what a lot of dub haters don't realize. Sure you can get a VA that sounds like them, but there's no real point if they can't act like them.

sakuharu23 wrote:
Rukia sounds cool too, however, she sounds a little soft spoken.

She did seem to lack a bit of force that Rukia seems to have. But that could be because the scene used wasn't a good example, or Ruff wasn't completely accustomed to the role, yet. I think she'll do a great job, though.

JackCox wrote:
But if you want to know what really irks me is how completely dismissive these people are of these voice actors. Most of them are trying to make a living and for you to dismiss and trash their work like that, it makes me really mad.

It's not always the VA's fault, too. The fault can lie in the voice director's, too.
Seca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Mihara wrote:
Which happens...a lot, most a lot of anime are filled with broken English. Even their websites and DVDs have them, you can't always go by those. It's sad, but a lot of the official Japanese companies have people throwing out broken English just for the cool factor. And just for the record, Shinigami IS a Death God, Soul Reaper is made up of different characters most of the time.

But it isn't in broken English, and it's not only the DVDs. The characters used may be different but the Japanese have decided that soul reaper is the translation they wish to use for the series, not death god, even if that is the kanji used for it. This was a decision in the official translation for both the Japanese and English sides to go with a more artistic license for the translation to fit better with what role the shinigami play in the Bleach series than the most literal translation of the word.

Not only that but I have a pack on cards for Japanese people trying to learn English using Bleach, and even in those shinigami is translated as soul reaper. And here's even an example for you: http://star.walagata.com/w/seca/bleachje1b.jpg

So as much as fandom wants to kick and scream and be completely anal about the translation, because heaven forbid it's not a transliteration which the average person may not understand, for Bleach, shinigami=soul reaper.
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the dub will turn out alright... I mean, alot of effort's being made to make it sound good, so I imagine it'll be more than halfway decent... hopefully...
Sweet Lou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I heard from another Bleach fan that Tite Kubo himself actually created the English translation for Shinigami as "Soul Reaper." I have no idea whether that's true or not, but it seems plausible and if it's true then all you haters are banging your heads against the wall for nothing since the man who created Bleach may in fact be the one who popularized the term you think is so "wrong."

Funny how when a hit show gets dubbed all the fansubber fanboys come out to bash it, most of the time before it even airs. This stuff deserves to be on Comedy Central.
xSUiT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
AH I can't wait for Bleach to air. Having been reading the manga aw this should be great I hope! Ah two more days for me!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
sakuharu23 wrote:
Why does every dub conversation have to do with the Naruto dub?

It's because Naruto is a classic, living case where the distributor bent over backwards to make sure that the dub sounded as good as possible and yet people still moan and complain as if it were the worst thing imaginable.

I mean, Viz made sure name translations stuck close to the original Japanese names and pronounciations, worked with Studio Pierrot to find the best voices and make sure very little was edited out of the Toonami version (Pierrot apparently approved the edits Viz made), made no stupid dialogue or music changes...and yet some people still say they "butchered" Naruto and claim the dub's just as bad as 4Kids' One Piece (and I've seen some claim Naruto's dub's even worse! Shocked ).

And now some people, based on a 30-second clip, have already claimed that Bleach has been destroyed by the "evil American companies and their talentless voice actors." It's practically a parallel case with Naruto. These people don't have legitimate criticisms of the dub; they merely live in a fantasy world where Japanese is a "pure" language and all Japanese voices are "true, original, and can never be matched under any circumstances". They're not looking for a good dub because they never cared for one; all they want is an excuse, and they'll make one up if they can't even find one.
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't believe that people are bashing the VAs of a 30 second clip. And the Naruto dub is bad? Please. Where were you people during the 80's and 90's?
Trust me, if watching dubs during those years didn't turn you to subtitles, I don't know what will.

If anything, dubs are evolving further: As a generation grows up with anime, there's going to be more people savvy to the culture and voicing technology, and thus perform a better job at it. Names get pronounced correctly, VAs act more in character, the experience enriches as a whole.
Yes, there are quite a bit of stinkers out there (the One Piece dub should be burned at the stake for it's heretical affront to culture), but believe it or not, they are getting better.
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
the English manga. ^^
From what I understand, there isn't supposed to be any stressed emphasis on any syllables in Japanese--they're supposed to have equal length and stress, as opposed to English and other languages where polysyllabic words will have a stressed syllable. [/quote]

While it's true that there's no stress, there are tones. Unless you have experience with other languages with tones (like Chinese), it's easy to mistake the differing tones as stress. Putting stress on the syllables is probably a lot easier and makes the words flow better (in English) than trying to get the intonation right.

(My Japanese teacher always made fun of her daughter saying that we were more Japanese than her because she pronounced "kon-ni-chi-wa" as "up-down-neutral(down)-up" rather than all neutral)
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, after watching that peview, I'd have to say I don't really care for Rukia's voice. She just doesn't seem as full of "angst" as her character is. Well, I won't be able to give an accurate impression until I actually watch it. As for Ichigo, I think he sounds good. Alot of people say he sounds like Vash...well, I have never seen Trigun in english, so that does not affect me, however...Has anyone here watched Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 in Japanese (most have...)? Kappei Yamaguchi's voice's ALL SOUND THEY SAME!! Inuyasha, Ranma, Usopp, Kudo Shinichi...but nobody complains about those...(He is going to sound weird as L....)

I love what they did with the opening and ending credits. Best ones I have ever seen in an R1 version of an anime.

No for my concerns. I am really wondering what they are going to do with Urahara and Yoruichi. Urahara speaks like a girl while Yoruichi speaks like an old man (obviously on purpose..). I do not if they will be able to make that come out sounding good though in the english one...anyone got any thoughts on this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9