• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Bill Would Let Publishers Act on Behalf of Copyright Holders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
You're moving the goalpost dude. You can't address the moral issue of the matter, so you're pretty much saying "that's not the real issue, the real issue is... economics!" That's weak sauce dude, weak sauce. Cool

"Look, it is not that we are greedy and stupid executives crying wolf, nooooo, we are the moral compass of the new generation" O_o;

Quote:
Even if we did look at the economics, my refuting point would be "look at the console video game industry". Console video games have existed under the strictest of copyright and licensing protections compared to any other entertainment medium, and it shows: less than 2% of all console game consumers have ever pirated a game, compared to 50% of all adults that have pirated at least some form of music, tv show or movie.

And what's the end result? [b]The video game industry has financially eclipsed practically every other entertainment medium.

I have no doubt that you are getting your numbers from some ESA and BSA, the simple truth is that "The data reported by the industry are potentially biased, partially due to the interest of the industry to reduce piracy and thus potentially over-estimate the problem". Time to wake up from your opium dream and smell the coffee.

I am not an avid gamer and even I know that all of the previous generation protection schemes have been cracked for quite some time (and the next generation will be cracked as soon as there is enough interest), under your logic the console game industry would have collapsed back then since piracy would be just as rampant as in cds (easy to rip), dvds (easy to rip) and blu-rays (harder to rip, but the protection has been cracked for years now).
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
You're moving the goalpost dude. You can't address the moral issue of the matter, so you're pretty much saying "that's not the real issue, the real issue is... economics!" That's weak sauce dude, weak sauce. Cool

"Look, it is not that we are greedy and stupid executives crying wolf, nooooo, we are the moral compass of the new generation" O_o;

It's not like these "nameless executives" are the only ones fed up with piracy --- manga authors can get pretty upset about copyright infringement too you know. Wink

mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
Even if we did look at the economics, my refuting point would be "look at the console video game industry". Console video games have existed under the strictest of copyright and licensing protections compared to any other entertainment medium, and it shows: less than 2% of all console game consumers have ever pirated a game, compared to 50% of all adults that have pirated at least some form of music, tv show or movie.

And what's the end result? [b]The video game industry has financially eclipsed practically every other entertainment medium.

I have no doubt that you are getting your numbers from some ESA and BSA, the simple truth is that "The data reported by the industry are potentially biased, partially due to the interest of the industry to reduce piracy and thus potentially over-estimate the problem". Time to wake up from your opium dream and smell the coffee.

I am not an avid gamer and even I know that all of the previous generation protection schemes have been cracked for quite some time (and the next generation will be cracked as soon as there is enough interest), under your logic the console game industry would have collapsed back since piracy would be just as rampant as in cds (easy to rip), dvds (easy to rip) and blu-rays (harder to rip, but the protection has been cracked for years now).

Except, my information comes from the Princeton Survey Research Associates International, in a study partially funded by Google and sponsored by the American Assembly, a nonpartisan public policy institution affiliated with Columbia University. But more importantly --- did you even stop for a second to realize that your linked post actually confirms what I said about videogame piracy being low? It's like you're trying to make my arguments for me! ...Thanks buddy! Laughing

I'm guessing you're not really an avid gamer, because despite your seemingly truthy gut-feeling that protection schemes have been cracked on previous console generations, you seem to be missing the larger picture that the actual difficulty in online piracy of console games is that the original games are largely created on hardware architectures that can't easily be emulated on computers during the life-cycle of the origin console. For example back in the late 80's and early 90's, NES games were produced on cartridges --- what average home computer back then could you find that would play an NES cartridge, let alone emulate the hardware architecture of an NES system? A huge aspect of piracy being difficult for console systems is that the games are largely designed for very specific architectures on media formats that can't be easily emulated on other computer devices of the era, which effectively allows for games to be created without publishers having to worry about directly competing with emulation pirates. One of the biggest reasons why so few people pirate console games online is that it's difficult to do and usually doesn't have very good results until years after the console has long since passed on.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
Yeah that would be a way for a publisher to end their dispute with the mangaska, abuse the law by using planted evidence. That would be a serious problem, now I see the problem with this law. This is another example of Japan's draconian law and how backward that is.

I'm confused at how you get from "draconian" to "planting evidence".

I'll explain, let say a mangaska had a beef with a publisher over the money he was supposed to get paid by the publisher. The publisher was holding back the money that was supposed to go to the mangaska because the publisher/company got too greedy. The mangaska threaten to sue and the publisher would lose a lot of money, and also their reputation and the public image if this lawsuit was brought to court. So how does the publisher not want to lose money and their reputation? They find someway to put him away for good, they can use that draconian law like the article stated to deal with that problem, the publisher can make fake evidence (to make it look like the mangaska was downloading his work, or another published manga) and give it to the police, the police arrest that mangaska using that fake evidence and the mangaska that wanted to sue the company is in jail, the mangaska would lose credibility (I mean who would listen to a criminal's accusations and believe the mangaska side of the story) because the publisher used the fake evidence and that draconian law to solve the issue and put away loose end and cover up any problem between the mangaska and the publisher. Yes with this law the publisher can bring "fake justice" to mangaska they didn't like or didn't want to pay their salary for their work because the publisher can get greedy and probably want to shut them up.

You see the problem with this law, publishers (the greedy one) can use this law to take down mangaska/manga authors they didn't like or had beef/dispute with (or mangaska that threaten to sue the greedy publishers for unpaid salary).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle, it's rather useless to do things like point out how copymonopoly laws actually work in reality to Kikaioh(not that he seems to have too much of a grasp on their theory).

As for his example, I find it interesting that Kikaioh seems to be completely ignoring the "PC Gaming Master Race" when talking about the video game industry; there you have a culture almost completely accepting of warez, but people still buy things on Steam they could get for free with a bit of googling. Here Valve saw copymonopoly violations as a sign of a service issue, acted and got rewarded. Like I said earlier, just creating something doesn't entitle you to one red cent; it's just something in your arsenal for the daily fight to talk people into giving you money.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
mangamuscle, it's rather useless to do things like point out how copymonopoly laws actually work in reality to Kikaioh(not that he seems to have too much of a grasp on their theory).

As for his example, I find it interesting that Kikaioh seems to be completely ignoring the "PC Gaming Master Race" when talking about the video game industry; there you have a culture almost completely accepting of warez, but people still buy things on Steam they could get for free with a bit of googling. Here Valve saw copymonopoly violations as a sign of a service issue, acted and got rewarded. Like I said earlier, just creating something doesn't entitle you to one red cent; it's just something in your arsenal for the daily fight to talk people into giving you money.

Oh, you and your copymonopoly shenanigans. Laughing I wonder how many times you can say it in your next post? I'll keep a tally, maybe you'll beat your previous post's score. Wink

And if you try to take an eagle's eye view of the conversation, I think you'll realize I didn't discuss the computer side of gaming because the thrust of my point was to demonstrate, counter to mangamuscle's beliefs, that a medium can absolutely dominate the entertainment industry even under the most stringent of copyright protections.

Judging by the snarkiness of your post, I'm thinking you have a bruised ego from some of our prior conversations. Come on dude it's just an online forum, no hard feelings huh? Very Happy If you keep acting snarky, I'm going to think I got under your skin, you know? That's not cool.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
And if you try to take an eagle's eye view of the conversation, I think you'll realize I didn't discuss the computer side of gaming because the thrust of my point was to demonstrate, counter to mangamuscle's beliefs, that a medium can absolutely dominate the entertainment industry even under the most stringent of copyright protections.
This pretty much reflects a great deal of history since the institution was created. Of course, that's before digital made copying ludicrously easy(and consoles are really carrying a lot of inertia from that era), which is why I brought up my example - shouting "Don't copy that floppy!" isn't all that effective; you've got to make them want not to.

Which goes back to my point about nobody deserving anybody giving them money just because they labored on something. You've got to make people value it, make them want it, much like the way jeans weren't popular until a clothing company really, really wanted retail space and couldn't get any.
Quote:
Judging by the snarkiness of your post, I'm thinking you have a bruised ego from some of our prior conversations. Come on dude it's just an online forum, no hard feelings huh? Very Happy If you keep acting snarky, I'm going to think I got under your skin, you know? That's not cool.
Just because seriously arguing with you is a waste of time doesn't mean I can't have fun with your posts - or rather, it quite encourages me to. But you can think I'm burning for you if you like - no skin off my back.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
This pretty much reflects a great deal of history since the institution was created. Of course, that's before digital made copying ludicrously easy(and consoles are really carrying a lot of inertia from that era), which is why I brought up my example - shouting "Don't copy that floppy!" isn't all that effective; you've got to make them want not to.

Which goes back to my point about nobody deserving anybody giving them money just because they labored on something. You've got to make people value it, make them want it, much like the way jeans weren't popular until a clothing company really, really wanted retail space and couldn't get any.

Well, I think part of my point wasn't so much that the console gaming industry was able to dominate entertainment despite copyright protections --- but rather, that the industry was able to fluorish because of them. The extreme copyright protections and limiting distribution models forced consumers to directly purchase/spend money on their entertainment, a model that helped to develop a culture that greatly values game content, especially when compared to other entertainment mediums.

I agree with your point about creators not being entitled to money --- assuming, of course, that no one actually consumes their works. The problem is, you're applying your belief system as a one way street, a brilliant justification for the mindsets of raiders, imperialists and thieves, but not a fair and balanced trade system. Creators are entitled to money in exchange for a service or product -- an entitlement that's protected by our government. Barring creator approval, it shouldn't simply be the case where people consume entertainment without compensating the original authors, because ours isn't inherently a something-for-nothing system.
Quote:
Just because seriously arguing with you is a waste of time doesn't mean I can't have fun with your posts - or rather, it quite encourages me to. But you can think I'm burning for you if you like - no skin off my back.

AHAHAHA! Laughing Aw, it does seem like I got under your skin, my sincere apologies. FWIW though, I do find the snarkiness entertaining, and I understand how all that 'fun' can help to relieve pent up frustration. Wink I warmly look forward to the snark in your next post!
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Well, I think part of my point wasn't so much that the console gaming industry was able to dominate entertainment despite copyright protections --- but rather, that the industry was able to fluorish because of them. The extreme copyright protections and limiting distribution models forced consumers to directly purchase/spend money on their entertainment, a model that helped to develop a culture that greatly values game content, especially when compared to other entertainment mediums.
Console games are also tied a lot more strongly to physical media, occasionally to the point where the media itself because a form of copy protection, like cartridges or the Dreamcast's GD-ROMs and CLV drive(which made a pirated copy necessarily far inferior, given how much had to be thrown away just to make a workable disc). The key to all this is really that console gamers still accept(and prefer to an extent, as Microsoft found out the hard way) limits when imposed by physical media. PC gamers, on the other hand, long ago got sick of having to have the disc in the drive to play a game.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
So if overseas otaku want to read the newest manga release, they have only 3 choices.

Purchase the manga from an online shopping site.

Wait a few years for the manga to be translated & released in stores.

Start saving a butt load of money & go to Japan.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
How will overseas otaku enjoy themselves now?

Razz
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
So if overseas otaku want to read the newest manga release, they have only 3 choices.
(..)
Start saving a butt load of money & go to Japan.

they only need to import the manga when it's released in japan, no need to go there to buy them, just saying
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
In other words, pants down as always.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I apologize for the late reply.

Polycell wrote:

Personally, I prefer to buy instead of renting my computer games. That is why instead of buying from steam (where I need to be online to be able to run games installed on my pc), I prefer to buy mine at gog.com, where they are 100% drm free. Their approach is new but it is slowly gaining followers since many people like myself hate to pay for crippled (as in, DRM included) games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3