• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon Anime's Visual & Script Changes for U.S. TV Detailed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
#814635 wrote:
Who cares about the edits, its a show for very young kids.

Yes, and very young kids should be able to handle CHILDREN CRYING and CHOPSTICKS.

They can in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jave

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess changing the name from Doraemon was the one thing that they wouldn't allowed changed, probably written into the contact.

Seems to be a common practice. Change everyone else's name but the mascot or main character's name Laughing Everything else can be Americanized but you got to keep names like Pikachu and Sakura for marketing purposes.

RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
Who are you to determine what people are watching/ interested in?

enurtsol tends to play Damage control when it comes to America or American movies/shows in Japan. He'll take any opportunity to make fun of Japanese stuff like anime, Japanese cops, idols, or manga and ignore those faults can also be found on the American side of the ocean. Kinda surprising he'd defend this editing though. Seems a bitter different from his usual MO.

Kinda pointless to chide people for not caring until now. Just because people just got into an anime through the dub doesn't mean they can't complain. IF they seek out the sub version because of it, then it's no different than we were kids and maybe saw edited Sailor Moon and Pokemon then looked up fansubs for those. I have about 100 episodes subbed and a bunch of the movies so I was totally into Doraemon before it it was mainstream, though Wink
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Have I traveled back to the 90's or early 2000's. My god these edits are atrocious. How dare we teach children about other cultures through cartoons.

Although my favorite edit is changing the first aid kit to Pizza...that one is just bizarre. lol

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sun May 11, 2014 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
enurtsol tends to play Damage control when it comes to America or American movies/shows in Japan. He'll take any opportunity to make fun of Japanese stuff like anime, Japanese cops, idols, or manga and ignore those faults can also be found on the American side of the ocean. Kinda surprising he'd defend this editing though. Seems a bitter different from his usual MO.
lol. Look who's talking. Without any irony what so ever either.

Anyway, the edits are pretty terrible and are a waste of money. It's not going to make the more marketable to kids because you've taken out foreign money. Things like chopsticks aren't unheard of anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ParkerALx

I guess we should look at the bright side. If Doraemon ends up becoming popular in the States, at least kids who really like it will grow up and discover the Japanese version just like hardcore Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon fans.
Vent

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
I guess we should look at the bright side. If Doraemon ends up becoming popular in the States, at least kids who really like it will grow up and discover the Japanese version just like hardcore Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon fans.

They'll have a lot of content, and by that I mean a loooooooooooot, to discover. Laughing
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Have I traveled back to the 90's or early 2000's. My god these edits are atrocious. How dare we teach children about other cultures through cartoons.

Although my favorite edit is changing the first aid kit to Pizza...that one is just bizarre. lol
90's and 00's? This is more like the memories of the 70's and 80's for me, I guess it depends how old you are. Changing the location and names, and ... just about everything else is a bad practice I thought we'd left behind. Sad to see it resurrected. Not that I would watch it either but one wonders what Disney will 'license' next...

As for the first-aid kit -> pizza transformation it makes sense if you also notice that the bandage is gone and HE WAS NO LONGER INJURED. Whatever scene caused him to become injured must have been removed completely. No violence is allowed. There is no violence in America or in the world anywhere for that matter so there is no need to introduce such a fictitious concept to the children.

Funny about the chopsticks though. That just might have been from the Japan side. In Japan people are shocked still to discover that I can use chopsticks. I was surprised to hear that years ago and am more surprised now that more people haven't told them we use them all the time. I told them but I'm not sure they believed me.
DanchouHaruhi

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Some edits make sense, others less so. Even the iconic dorayaki is gone. The bigger question is what are they going to do about all the scenes where the characters "accidentally" barge into the bathroom when Shizu-chan's taking a bath? Or all the different occasions where you actually see the characters' wee-wees on the show?

Last edited by DanchouHaruhi on Sun May 11, 2014 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
While a lot of these edits are pretty unnecessary, I'm not terribly upset about it. They all look a heck of a lot better than what 4Kids did. As long as the script and voices are good, this doesnt seem like it would change the story at all. It's pretty interesting that this was detailed out beforehand.

I don't know whats up with that pizza though.
RedHotPT

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Hagaren Viper wrote:
I don't know whats up with that pizza though.

Why? Is a very important edit.
Everybody knows how important Pizza is for promote healthy eating.

And Disney are doing more editing in foods.
Quote:
Other food changes, such as less sweets (including Doraemon's iconic dorayaki) and more fruits onscreen, have been made due to broadcasting standards to promote healthy eating on children's programming.

P/S
Sorry for the sarcasm. I'm just sad how a good anime from my childhood get to be butchered like this.

Last edited by RedHotPT on Sun May 11, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Ohh, Man...
Pizza, Dollars, Forks, and all those other unneccessary edits of Japanese material...
Now I'm certain that the English version of Doraemon is going to become an eventual serious trainwreck.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Sun May 11, 2014 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
memories of the 70's and 80's for me, I guess it depends how old you are.

Well yeah I realize bad edits go back further than the 90's and early 2000's but the 90's and early 2000's was probably the last time you still saw a lot of them (the infamous 4-kids). Those type of edits are almost virtually non-existent today which is why I mentioned time travel.

Quote:

As for the first-aid kit -> pizza transformation it makes sense if you also notice that the bandage is gone and HE WAS NO LONGER INJURED.

Not really when they say they want to promote healthy eating but decide to put in a random pizza for no reason whatsoever.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Epic Palmface!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow. How horrendously unnecessary and ridiculous all those changes are.

...AND THEY SERVED HIM "COCOA" INSTEAD OF COFFEE!!
(Five points to whoever's old enough to remember the holy fan jihad-car-bombing over that one. Rolling Eyes )

I don't remember the Bamboo-horse episode, so I'm not sure whether removing Nobita's tears was to make it less traumatic or less wimpy.
And I remember Cardcaptors, so I have no "Western female empowerment" problem with replacing Shizuka's doll in the time capsule with a book...That's mild by comparison.

I don't remember the "Transform! Dracula" episode, so I don't know in what context Doraemon hurt himself. Either way, it's a subject best avoided.

But just goes to show you how evil that 4Kids is, trying to adapt it for "American audiences!"
Quote:
The three Japanese companies that hold the copyrights — TV Asahi, Fujiko F. Fujio Production, and TV Asahi's anime studio subsidiary Shinei Animation — are producing the English version by contracting it to American studios.

Oh....Well, just goes to show you how evil the Japanese copyright owners are in trying to adapt it for "American audiences". Razz

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sun May 11, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12