• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Bunny Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
*reads the first part of the review*

Huh, well it seems like a light-heated tale, a little twist of gender norms, some introspection of what it really means to be a parent, how could they mess it up?

*reads the rest of the review*

Oh....oh.....ohhhh man....

...It get super creep, huh?

more or less stick with the anime and the first half of the manga. I really think the woman that wrote this manga has father issues of some kind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
There are more than four manga volumes of Bunny Drop? *Sticks fingers in ears* "Na, Na, Na, Na, Na I can't hear you!" Razz Everything ends at the end of the anime, and then Daikichi marries Kouki's mom and everyone lives happily ever after!

Seriously, from what I read of the final volumes, I got the feeling Daikichi agreed to go along with Rin in order to spare her feelings. Daikichi, Rin doesn't need a Dad/husband, she needs a therapist!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

At the end Rin makes a choice that most of us wouldn't approve of, however it is her choice - a legal one and a legitimate one.

That is pretty damn stupid and here's why:

Daikichi as told by Masako, Rin's mother, not to legally adopt Rin because she'll just change her name when she gets married {from the first half, such great foreshadowing of the crap to come}. Now, if he did do that because even in Japan there should be laws that would offer positives for such families, that would have been bad because it would have stifled Rin's choices? Also, it would have made the marriage completely illegal and oddly unnecessary.

Here's the biggest problem with Bunny Drop: Dakichi never explained the difference between romantic love and familial love to Rin and why they're different. I guess that would have been her choice, too, if she did?

Quote:
Daikichi, Rin doesn't need a Dad/husband, she needs a therapist!

Or some outside influences.

Here's the plus side: We never had to see Rin's child, which would have been Daikichi's grandchild to anyone with a bit of sense. Also, we never got the scene where Daikichi's parents learned their granddaughter will become their daughter in law. End of scene:

*parents smack Daikichi*
Yup, all Rin's choice. She's the only one that matters in this universe.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
...Rin is choosing to marry a man in an unreasonable position of power over her ...

Evidence from the manga, please.

Where is the evidence of this power? Where does Daikichi dominate Rin? Where does he abuse her?

I think Yumi Umita has gone to great lengths to demonstate that the powerful personality in the relationship is Rin's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
...Rin is choosing to marry a man in an unreasonable position of power over her ...

Evidence from the manga, please.

Where is the evidence of this power? Where does Daikichi dominate Rin? Where does he abuse her?

Nobody said he abuses her. They said he's in a position of power over her. Which he is. It's called being her parent.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Rin made it clear to Daikichi, when she was 6 years old, that he was not her parent and she did not consider him her parent. She never changed from that belief. Daikichi happily accepted her belief.

Try to see things from Rin's point of view.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Rin made it clear to Daikichi, when she was 6 years old, that he was not her parent and she did not consider him her parent. She never changed from that belief. Daikichi happily accepted her belief.

Try to see things from Rin's point of view.

If you raise a child by yourself from ages 6 to 16, you are their parent. If Rin didn't "consider" him her parent, that's just because she didn't have a very stable idea of what a parent was given her abandonment by her mother and her upbringing in a hostile home environment.

Rin is a sixteen year old girl from a complicated background who lives a life with apparently very little socialization (as the reviewer notes, she has the same best friend after ten years and does everything with her father -- not healthy). I can see her point of view, but that still doesn't make her choice a good one, or this manga even remotely feminist.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Rin is a sixteen year old girl from a complicated background who lives a life with apparently very little socialization (as the reviewer notes, she has the same best friend after ten years and does everything with her father -- not healthy). I can see her point of view, but that still doesn't make her choice a good one, or this manga even remotely feminist.

For me, this is the biggest sticking point of the manga. Disregarding that it is a complete slap in the face to anyone who has a happy relationship with their foster parent(s), Rin is never shown trying to date other candidates. Heck, they could all be 40-year-olds for all I care, just get out there and look, girl!

But no. She agrees to wait two years til she's 18 to see if her feelings will still be the same. It's a whacked out twist on the guy who gets "rejected" because he never confesses. Uh, newsflash: If you never try to enforce change, things are gonna' stay the same!! Pining after the same guy while doing nothing does not convince me that her love stood the test of time--it convinces me she that she's just the same as every other teenager who's convinced they found "the one" and then sat on their hands about it.

And why the hell do we never get Daikichi's thoughts about this? Not what he says to Rin--there could be a ton of reasons behind why he says what he does to her--but his innermost thoughts. Does he feel like a failure of a parent? Is he disappointed? Shocked? Squicked out? Confused? Okay with it? This is the guy who likely had to walk Rin through having her first period--cramps and all, trying on bras, etc. Shouldn't we have had SOMETHING on how he transitioned from parental love to...whatever the hell they ended up with?

EDIT: errinundra, if I recall, you have a personal bias towards this couple because of your own parents, correct? I think it's worth noting that you when you mentioned their relationship, they were first cousins, twice removed. You also mention it was a marriage between two, and I quote, "consenting, equal adults." You never make any mention of your mother viewing your father as a authority figure, nor of him viewing himself as one over your mother. That, I think, is the key point. Daikichi is Rin's father in all but name. He treats her like his daughter. He thinks of her like his daughter--at least until they marry. He is responsible for feeding and clothing her; cousins, at least in my experience, have no such responsibility nor authority over each other.

P.S. Please do not take this as a personal attack on your parents. By your accounts, they were happy, sensible folks. I'm merely pointing out that there seem to be clear key differences in how Rin and Daikichi's relationship functions in terms of authority and unequal power distribution vs. your parents.

Last edited by whiskeyii on Thu May 15, 2014 10:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
errinundra wrote:
At the end Rin makes a choice that most of us wouldn't approve of, however it is her choice - a legal one and a legitimate one. The challenge that Yumi Umita is throwing out to us is a choice of our own: are we going to support women having more choice? or are we going to reinforce social norms that constrain us? From what I read here and in other threads, most people clearly fall into the second camp. Freedom to choose doesn't mean the freedom to make choices we like only.

And I'm going to say this like I do every time you bring up this ridiculous argument, but "women making choices = feminist" is the lamest excuse ever. It's the same one Stephanie Meyer made to justify writing a book where she portrays a teenage girl engaging in reckless and suicidal behavior after her boyfriend dumps her as romantic.

Rin is choosing to marry a man in an unreasonable position of power over her and take up a life of domesticity with him when she's only sixteen. There's a reason that we don't "like" that choice - because it's a horrible one. It's not feminist, it's not empowering, because making choices is not the same thing as empowerment.

Thank you vashfanatic for saying this before I got the chance. I couldn't have said it better myself.
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
The creepiest part to me is that Daikichi just seems to be going along with Rin. I never sensed any romantic feelings on his part which made an uncomfortable situation even worse.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for the occasional posts. It's a working day for me: the first post was just before I started, the next two at morning tea & this one is toward the end of my lunch. All posts have been rushed...

@ whiskeyii, I wouldn't say "bias". I prefer to think that, because I'm not squikked out by the relationship, I can see more clearly what the mangaka is arguing.

In her manga, Yumi Unita is making it clear that the relationship between Daikichi and Rin is NOT a parent / child one; she is making it clear that it is NOT abusive and that Rin is the stronger person.

People may argue that the mangaka is unconvincing and / or unrealistic but to say it IS a parent / child relationship is to impose their (the readers') belief systems on the manga.

What is interesting to me about the manga isn't any perceived taboo breaking as Zac suggests, but, rather, its metafictional challenge: that the question posed to us reflects the questions posed to the characters in the story. I like fiction where the form reflects the narrative. That is intriguing.

@ vashfanatic.

Daickichi does NOT have an unreasonable amount of power over Rin. Show me the evidence in the manga.

Rin's choice is NOT a horrible one. Show me the evidence in the manga.

Please base your assertions on the evidence available.

I've gotta get back to work. See you this evening.
spoony

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed there are still people who don't know about this. I thought everybody discussed it into the ground a couple years ago.

sakurahitagi wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

And I'm going to say this like I do every time you bring up this ridiculous argument, but "women making choices = feminist" is the lamest excuse ever. It's the same one Stephanie Meyer made to justify writing a book where she portrays a teenage girl engaging in reckless and suicidal behavior after her boyfriend dumps her as romantic.

Rin is choosing to marry a man in an unreasonable position of power over her and take up a life of domesticity with him when she's only sixteen. There's a reason that we don't "like" that choice - because it's a horrible one. It's not feminist, it's not empowering, because making choices is not the same thing as empowerment.

Thank you vashfanatic for saying this before I got the chance. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I agree, this response was perfect.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

In her manga, Yumi Unita is making it clear that the relationship between Daikichi and Rin is NOT a parent / child one; she is making it clear that it is NOT abusive and that Rin is the stronger person.

I think I see where your logic comes from. You don't view Rin and Daikichi as having a parent-child relationship, therefore for you, it negates vashfantatic's claim (which I agree with) that Daikichi has power over Rin by being her parent. Still, you must see something VASTLY different from the rest of us; Daikichi feeds Rin, clothes her, teaches her not to wet the bed, likely had to deal with her going through puberty, and is overall responsible for her well-being as she depends on him. What about that doesn't strike you as a parent-child relationship? Is it just Rin's attitude that makes the difference for you?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Biggest problem with the second part of BD is that it's going to discourage more manga/anime to do time skip. I love time skip (I prefer when a story develop over many years, but time skip can do the job), this way you get the see the character grow up, I especially like the part where Daichi and the boy relationship didn't really go anywhere, it was more fun than a "and they live happily after".

I'm not quite sure why the author choose that ending, it's a very strange choice. I don't have problem with incest (preventing pregnancy is pretty easy these days) but the problem is that Daichi was definitely in position of power and parent can shape there kid the way they want, so that open all kind of ugly stuff.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
It's not feminist, it's not empowering, because making choices is not the same thing as empowerment.

I'm sorry, it just popped into my head...

Blue skies! Bouncy springs! We just named two awesome things!
A Nobel Prize, a piece of string -- you know what's awesome? Everything!
Dogs with fleas! Allergies! A book of Greek antiquities!
Brand new pants! A very old vest! Awesome items are the best!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8