• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - S P O R T S

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Yawara! Nobody mentioned it yet, or nobody likes Judo? Princess Nine (baseball) just got rereleased too.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
old_yoshi wrote:
Yawara! Nobody mentioned it yet, or nobody likes Judo? Princess Nine (baseball) just got rereleased too.

Yawara!, as wonderful as it is, is difficult to track down, and was never completely released. I think that's probably why it didn't make the column.
Where in the world is Kuroko's Basketball?! That show was super cheesy, over-the-top and very, very addicting. I can't stand watching sports, but I enjoyed every minute of Kuroko's Basketball.
Good to see that Free! is on here, and I can't wait for season 2.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Where in the world is Kuroko's Basketball?!

Bamboo Dong wrote:
(That having been said, Kuroko's Basketball is pretty fun, but I didn't include it on this list because it's very long, has a billion characters, and is very much a "sports anime" anime.)
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quark wrote:
Where in the world is Kuroko's Basketball?!

Bamboo Dong wrote:
(That having been said, Kuroko's Basketball is pretty fun, but I didn't include it on this list because it's very long, has a billion characters, and is very much a "sports anime" anime.)

Oops, I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not a sports person. I was the type of kid who'd duck if a ball was thrown anywhere near me, and when the Olympics roll around, my tastes are decidedly girly: Gymnastics in the summer, and figure skating in the winter. (Actually, I'd watch figure skating anytime. I've even taken lessons).

So when Ping Pong, which is dynamic, fun, and very unique in tone and art style, whet my appetite for some sports anime I wasn't sure where to turn. I tried Yowapeda when it came out , but lost interest when it focused more on cycling and less on the MC's otaku hobbies. I saw the first ep of Haikyuu!!. Hinata is adorable, but, boy, is there a lot of volleyball. So I looked up a sport I love and found Ginban Kaleidoscope, about an Olympic-aspiring figure skater who gets possessed by the ghost of a Canadian teenaged boy. It's more about Tazusa's relationship with Pete than it is about figure skating, which is disappointing since teen supernatural romcoms are a dime a dozen in anime, and its (afaik) the *only* figure skating anime ever made. But the show's still pretty good, and watching training montages is much more palatable when you love the sport! Unfortunately, GK came out before Crunchyroll, so it's not readily available. But if you can find it, it has a surprisingly good English dub by Animax Asia.

I have read some excellent sports manga--I recently picked up Viz's first Cross Game omnibus and was surprised by how much fun even the baseball parts were to read. Real, the wheelchair basketball manga by Slam Dunk's Takehiko Inoue is excellent, if a bit choppy. I wish they'd stream that one into an anime or even a live action movie.

Is it just me, or are there more sports anime about boys than girls? Princess Nine, Taisho Baseball Girls, Yawara, Ginban Kaleidoscope... eh, I'm sure there's more out there.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
Really no Slam Dunk i don't even care if there was some kinda reason for or not i just think it's the best.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So I looked up a sport I love and found Ginban Kaleidoscope

This reminded me of Kaleido Star which isn't a sports anime exactly but features a lot of (circus) acrobatics, loveable characters and a good plot. Definitely one to check out for people who aren't usually into sports series.

And i agree that REAL needs to be made into an anime. I'm enjoying Slam Dunk as well, even though i'm working my way through it very slowly since i can only take the main character in really small doses, but i absolutely love REAL because it has a great balance of sport and slice of life and a very unique setting.
Maciste

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
>Chihayafuru
>Sports

All other anime in your article are about (real) pyhsical labor.
You shouldn't sneak Chihayafuru in just because you like it that much.

Why not write an article about mind sports (e.g. Saki) and post it in there?
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
This article needs a follow up by Fencedude for balance.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Great sports picks, and I really like the format of the column. I've been watching Ping Pong, Haikyuu!! and Baby Steps this season and enjoying all three.

As for my favorite sports anime, I have to say Hajime no Ippo, I'm actually quite surprised nobody has mentioned it yet. Another show I like that doesn't get mentioned often is Moshidora, although that might fall into guilty pleasure territory. Thanks for the great read!
insert name here

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ping Pong has been pretty terrific. One thing that separates it from typical anime/manga sports material is how its main character actually kind of resents the world of competitive sports, going so far to say that people who "stake their lives" on Ping Pong are idiots and that the game is supposed to be fun. So much of the competitive streak in sports manga (and manga generally) I think serves to work as a continual pep talk for worn out commuters, struggling to make it through a highly stratified and demanding school system/corporate culture/class society. Ping Pong seems to take an alternate stance on this, while also presenting a more realistic portrayal of the relationship between talent, dumb luck, and success.

SethMosrite wrote:
As for my favorite sports anime, I have to say Hajime no Ippo, I'm actually quite surprised nobody has mentioned it yet.

Yes. I watched one episode on impulse late last year, and ended up running through the whole thing up through the current season. Ippo is extremely straightforward, but its pacing is so impeccable that it's total shonen crack.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
SethMosrite wrote:
Another show I like that doesn't get mentioned often is Moshidora, although that might fall into guilty pleasure territory.

Why? There certainly isn't anything objectionable in Moshidora if I recall correctly, though there is a classic example of the spoiler[ beautiful bedridden girl who is dying of a mysterious disease]. Other than that I thought it was decent enough show.

Peter Drucker's thoughts on management style are apparently quite well regarded in Japan, though if the Economist is to be believed, not often applied to contemporary Japanese businesses.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
^ Moshidora is average for a sports anime. A decent show, but nowhere near the best of sports anime IMO.

Maciste wrote:
All other anime in your article are about (real) pyhsical labor.
You shouldn't sneak Chihayafuru in just because you like it that much.

lol since when was sports only physical labor? Chihayafuru has all the things a physical labor sport has: teammates, rounding up a team, the coach, opponent backstories, even a physical labour part, injuries and even more.

Agent355 wrote:
Is it just me, or are there more sports anime about boys than girls? Princess Nine, Taisho Baseball Girls, Yawara, Ginban Kaleidoscope... eh, I'm sure there's more out there.

There are and I'm completely okay with that. If girls were thrown into sports, it would probably be used as moe or ecchi most of the time. Imagine girls playing soccer or volleyball. The anime/manga makers would put in panty shots and boob physics in whenever they could.
ajin12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
This column perfectly summed up all of my warm feelings toward sports anime and mentioned nearly all of my favorites - Chihayafuru, Haikyuu, Ping Pong the Animation (the Chinese pronunciation is such a plus), and Yowamushi Pedal are incredible! Now to convince more people to give them a try... (:
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
@yuna49, I consider Moshidora a borderline guilty pleasure because of the trope you mentioned. The plot device employed seems very contrived. Watching it, I know I'm being manipulated but I still can't help but get invested. I was a goddamn mess the first time I saw it. I remember listening to the instrumental version of the theme song days later in the car and crying. so dumb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4