• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan - [adult swim] / Toonami broadcast.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 5m
Rogue Titan: "What did the 5 fingers say to the face? SLAP!!" #AttackOnTitan

So sayeth Conny Springer.

Between that and the performances of the cast in general, I'd have to say that this was a good episode.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
HOORAY, ROGUE TITAN'S HERE!

*Ahem* Aside from that, this was a good episode. We got some nice scenes, a few really depressing moments, (Poor Mikasa...) and some awesome action. I don't really have much to say, but I'll list it below.

*At the beginning of this episode, we see things have gone awful for the scouts. We see four of them holed up in a tower, surrounded by Titans. One commits suicide. That moment really drove home just how depressing the whole situation is.

*The pomegranate. I need to figure out the symbolism of that one...

*Rogue Titan was awesome! Yeah, I know who he really is, thank you internet. Still, AWESOME.

*Mikasa is my new favorite character, with Armin and Sasha following behind. I felt so bad for her, thinking she lost two families in her life time. Poor Mikasa...

And...that's all I have to say! Can't wait for more!
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Welcome to this week's installment of Attack on Titan Twitter commentary with Armin Arlert, Jean Kirschtein, and Conny Springer, featuring special guest Hange Zoe!

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle · 1h
We can't stop here. This is Titan country

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 1h
Steer that Titan, Armin! Signal to change lanes! #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 52m
Hey, you. Under the desk. I'd like you to meet my fist. #AttackOnTitan

Jessica Calvello @JessicaCalvello · 51m
Good lord, @BrycePapenbrook ... anger management much? #ErenBeMad #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

Jessica Calvello @JessicaCalvello · 43m
BACK OF THE HEAD TO THE NAPE OF THE NECK #typicalsaturdaynightforme #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 40m
You missed! How could you miss?! He was three feet in front of you! #AttackOnTitan #Mulan

Jessica Calvello @JessicaCalvello · 38m
IT'S THE ONE THAT ATE THOMAS #whoisThomas #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle · 36m
That's a nice costume you had there Eren! Where can I get one!? #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

By the way, keep an eye out for these two next week:

Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...what to say?

Well, Eren's back. To be honest, this if one of the very few spoilers that I found before I started watching this series. Then again, it's kind of like the whole "bad s**t happens in Madoka" spoilers. Everybody knows it, and it comes in very early.

Highlights?

*Marco telling Jean how great of a leader he is because he's brave enough to acknowledge that he's scared. I can smell the gay between them...

*NOBODY DIED DURING THE SUPPLY ROOM BREAK-IN!

*Mikasa letting out all her emotions when she sees Eren alive. That scene worked so well by showing how relieved she is that her last remaining family member wasn't dead after all. Almost brought me to tears.

*Armin's shock over seeing Eren not dead. Well-done. Very well-done. MOAR MYSTERY.

And...that's it! Yeah, I like the show so far. Love the world, the characters, the mystery. I'm sticking with this one to the bitter end.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
By the way, if anyone's wondering how the Titan scream was made, Mike McFarland had this to say:

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · Jun 21
The #Titan yell is the VA, as it was in the original recording. Not a sound effect. The dub has 8 layered sounds, including 2 sub tracks.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Watching this particular part of the series through a second time, I can see now some telltale clues to things that will happen much later on if one knows precisely what is coming. Almost certainly wouldn't pick up on them as clues if you don't know what's coming, though.

My point is that there is at least a little more subtlety to the foreshadowing here than I had originally given the series credit for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
Agreed; this second time through, there are definitely some subtle hints that one would not pick up the first go-around without knowing what happens later in the series.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
For those of us watching it on Toonami, here's some of Jean, Conny, Armin, and Hange's Twitter commentary for this week's episode:

Watch out for Freddy Mercury Titan! #AttackOnTitan

@JessicaCalvello just sliced Freddie Mercury's neck in half. Let your imaginations flow. #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 1h
Y'know, in a different age, I can't help but feel Petra would have been a tree-hugger. :P #rimshot #AttackOnTitan

Erwin shows up with bad news. @JMichaelTatum does that. #AttackOnTitan

Eren's living the horror version of Fantastic Voyage. #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

Jessica Calvello @JessicaCalvello · 1h
HELLLLLLLLLLP MEEEEEEEE gurgle gurgle gurgle #sogross #AttackOnTitan #TeamHange #TeamHangeZoe #ForScience #ExplainingAnimeToMyParents

"With my bare hands!... Or.. hand!" #AttackOnTitan

"You're all gonna die." Not a good thing to say in this situation, Eren. @BrycePapenbrook #AttackOnTitan

"You're all gonna die" "Uh, Eren? Bad timing" #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

What's with that look? It just means @Chris24_Sabat has been up for days. #AttackOnTitan

When @Chris24_Sabat accuses you of high treason and says "do not test me"... You listen. #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

A spiked wall of TItan corpses. What a festive decoration. #AttackOnTitan

COULD YOU PLEASE RE-SHOUT THE QUESTION, SIR?! #AttackOnTitan

A CREATURE OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN... #typicalsaturdaynightforme #AttackOnTitan

"I'M HUMAN!" and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does. #AttackOnTitan

Worst.LatchkeyKid.Ever. #TeamEren #AttackOnTitan

Even though Erwin, Levi, and Hange all received relatively little screen time, they were still awesome. (Also, judging from Erica Mendez's reaction to Clifford Chapin's tweet about Petra, I'm guessing there's a stealth spoiler in there somewhere.) In any case, we'll have to wait two weeks to see more on Toonami, on account of the Space Dandy mini-marathon.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote
Did spoiler[Titan Eren's] voice sound a little strange to anyone else?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
makes sense. you got Yuki Kaji yelling and sound mixers layering it in Japanese, so do the same with Bryce in English
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Also, Josh Grelle as Armin is the best performance of the main trio, IMHO. Go Armin.

Agreed. I've liked him since Princess Jellyfish, and he's doing great here. It's going to be interesting to see where the three of them go from here - and they have to be considered a unit since the other two have tied their lot to Eren when they shielded him. I think they'll get some more support once word of the situation spreads (if less than overwhelming), but it's going to be an uphill battle. That's just dealing with others - Mikasa and Armin are also going to have to keep Eren anchored, which I imagine they'll do beautifully but will be very emotionally draining.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
After a two-week hiatus, Jean, Conny, Armin, and Hange (well, mostly Jean, Conny, and Hange this time around) are back with their Twitter commentary:

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 28m
We now return to @Chris24_Sabat screaming like a wuss. #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 27m
Sasha with the food joke. Like she does. @ashly_burch #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 25m
Is that a giant Titan body, or are you just happy to see me? #AttackOnTitan

Jessica Calvello @JessicaCalvello · 23m
Armin is always in a perpetual state of surprise. "Those flowers... Eren, how did you...Do I have on underwear?" #TeamArmin #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 22m
Well, you know what they say: "where there's smoke there's... Titans...?" #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 21m
Scenes like this are why @BrycePapenbrook, @JoshGrelle, and Trina Nishimura make me so proud. Such great work! #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 21m
Nosebleeds only happen in pervy moments in anime right? Eren, you need to do that in private... #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 16m
The next few minutes of Armin are amazing. Great part of the series, and great stuff from @JoshGrelle. #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 13m
"You've got 15 second to decide..." But it's anime time, so you're good. No rush, Armin. #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 12m
Those ears are only "deaf" because you're always yelling, dude... #AttackOnTitan

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle · 11m
And then Armin's self image shattered. Freaking love this scene! #AttackOnTitan

Jessica Calvello @JessicaCalvello · 9m
A SEXY LADY TITAN #awyeah #AttackOnTitan

Jessica Calvello @JessicaCalvello · 6m
DO YOU THINK YOU COULD PLUG UP THE HOLE #typicalSaturdaynightforme #AttackOnTitan #TeamHole

Josh Grelle's performance as Armin in this episode was indeed very impressive. R. Bruce Elliott as Dot Pixis is a very close second, though. Dot Pixis in general is pretty awesome.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
So, continuing from last episode.

GAH, the friendship between Eren, Armin, and Mikasa is so sweet. They have such good chemistry with each other, and their interactions are just heartwarming. I really liked the scene where Mikasa and Armin are willing to stand up to the Garrison to protect Eren. Maybe the power of friendship can prevail after all.

Also, I still think Josh Grelle is the best actor in the cast. I also agree that Dot Pixis is a cool old geezer. Glad to see him back!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Had the whole "AoT discussion discrepancy" thing on my mind the last couple of days and decided to just create a separate thread. And after reading the last few pages of the original one (which has spoiled the show for me in some aspects, now -_-...), I figured for the sake of convenience (i.e not getting the chronology and continuity of spoilers mixed up), it'd be easier to just create this "dub thread" and spare the headache of figuring out who the hell is where in the series and whatnot.

So if you've already seen the series and are keeping up with the dub, please be courteous where needed, and don't spoil things ahead of anybody else.

Oh, and I had to delete a few posts to realign continuity. But some of those posts were so obscure, I wasn't really sure what they were referring to. So if you don't see something you remember posting, sorry about that.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Too bad Jean couldn't be with us this week, but Conny and Hange still have it covered. Armin also has some words of praise for Dot Pixis.

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 36m
Don't drink and Titan shift, Eren! #AttackOnTitan

Jessica Calvello @JessicaCalvello · 34m
LARGE GROUPS OF PEOPLE ARE GENERALLY DRAWN TO MY HOLE. #AttackOnTitan #Toonami #TeamLewd

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 32m
Hey, Titan, don't put that in your mouth! You have no idea where it's been! #AttackOnTitan

Jessica Calvello @JessicaCalvello · 32m
SENDING PEOPLE TO THEIR DOOM IS NOT RECOMMENDED. SEND THEM TO MY HOLE INSTEAD. #AttackOnTitan #Toonami #TeamLewd

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle · 29m
R Bruce Elliot is KILLING it as Pixis! So good! His throat must have been so angry with him after that session. #AttackOnTitan #Toonami
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6