• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Silver Link Makes Yuri Kuma Arashi TV Anime by Utena/Penguindrum's Ikuhara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link-Chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
I just don't like silver link because...

they had that incident where the staff harassed a voice actor
who was hired for anime kokoro connect.

I'm quite sure not everyone in silver link was involved in that incident,
but I still don't like the studio...

link:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=484563&show=0
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Link-Chan wrote:
I just don't like silver link because...

they had that incident where the staff harassed a voice actor
who was hired for anime kokoro connect.

I'm quite sure not everyone in silver link was involved in that incident,
but I still don't like the studio...

link:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=484563&show=0

He was harassed by the other voice actors, silver link had nothing to do with that.
Yause

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

He was harassed by the other voice actors, silver link had nothing to do with that.

Besides voice actors, lots of people were implicated in the incident. For such a prank to work, there has to be cooperation across the board to avoid spoiling the whole thing. The voice actors simply played their part of the role, even if they may have gone too far.

That said, bullying isn't uncommon in the industry. It happens on numerous productions, whether it's a studio producer, director, or animator doing the bullying. In this case, I'm sure the team justified it to themselves as part of making good entertainment.

Quote:
The budget should be blamed for that, not the studio.

Partly. Silver Link is a workhorse, so they aim for efficiency, and acceptable workmanship over art. When the studio's purpose is to mass produce shows on a regular basis, it's difficult to line up A-list talent, plus expect to meet schedules.

An artistic studio aims for creative and interesting animation that dazzles.

The workhorse aligns its activities to the whims of clients, so it's impossible to prioritize art. What we tend to get might be a few shots of creative animation sprinkled within a series, with the rest being standard stuff. That doesn't mean it's bad - minimizing defects is a goal, so the animation might well be clean and competent at the best of times - but it's run of the mill.

On a related note, Ikuhara would probably collaborate well with the most industrious workhorses given his demands as a director.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
soulelle wrote:
I'll post the screenshots later today, but I think you got the point right anyway ^^
And no wonder can you trace them back to Dezaki - his works are known to be influential on the whole industry. Ikuhara and Shinbou themselves took a lot from him as far as I read. Could you perhaps point to the episode with squared boke, by the way? I haven't watched all of his works, so I'm willing to fill the gap ^^
I'm not 100% sure but I feel like I may have seen them (or maybe an early form of them) in Nobody's Boy Remi and I think the Air and Clannad films.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The budget doesn't tie into every aspect of aesthetic,the shows from Silver Link don't look good on any level.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

The budget doesn't tie into every aspect of aesthetic,the shows from Silver Link don't look good on any level.

First you talk about the animation and now aesthetic? No surprise people are going to take the wrong ideas.

Animation is largely determined by the budget(and time management). But how the show looks(aesthetics) is a whole other question, and its better to just look at the staff and not the studio(unless the staff is a bunch of unknowns). But unlike animation, aesthetics are subjective, so I won't get into details about that. But budget-wise, you can never make something with an average/high tv-anime budget look like Nerawareta Gakuen

In the end, its impossible to know whether silver link is using its budget effectively or not, we don't have access to such data.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the end, its impossible to know whether silver link is using its budget effectively or not, we don't have access to such data.

And yet you previously stated how we can blame their lackluster animation on budget.
Quote:
But budget-wise, you can never make something with an average/high tv-anime budget look like Nerawareta Gakuen

With competent animators and good scheduling a lot of things are possible. One person animating an entire episode is as cheap as you can get and those episodes usually end up having a really good animation.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
With competent animators and good scheduling a lot of things are possible. One person animating an entire episode is as cheap as you can get and those episodes usually end up having a really good animation.

That single animator is still paid per illustration/frame/cut, and if they're good enough to handle an entire episode, they may be paid at a higher rate than the people coming up through the ranks.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That single animator is still paid per illustration/frame/cut

You are forgetting the cost of animation director, which is extremely reduced when you have one KA.
Quote:
And if they're good enough to handle an entire episode, they may be paid at a higher rate than the people coming up through the ranks.

It isn't that luxurious, there were some fairly young animators like Kazuaki Shimada who animated an entire episode of Yama no Susume s2. They last for 15 minutes though.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
That single animator is still paid per illustration/frame/cut

You are forgetting the cost of animation director, which is extremely reduced when you have one KA.
Keys would still need to be checked for character model consistency (unless they've chosen to not do any checking), line timing, and any other duties the AD has, even if they aren't doling out cuts to different animators.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

Just a question, but: do you think there are things you know about the cost-structures of animation production that are not known by the people running Silver Link?
soulelle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
I'm not 100% sure but I feel like I may have seen them (or maybe an early form of them) in Nobody's Boy Remi and I think the Air and Clannad films.
Gosh! That reminds me that I've never seen Air and Clannad the movies in the end! Gonna do it this weekend for sure! I just skipped through Clannad and it's such an obvious Dezaki style! Beatiful! Don't see the squared lighting, halos, and bokes, though Razz
Here's what I meant:
Kishi Seiji: Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

Oonuma Shin:
ef - a tale of memories (2007)

WataMote (2013)

Natsu no Arashi (2009)

Shio kudasai! xD

============

Silver Link is indeed a workhorse. This studio inbetweens, I don't know, every second anime or something, if not all. So the guys have a lot of slavery force among which there are certainly some young hidden gems. That's exactly what Ikuhara needs, I think. So I'm quite positive with the studio. I really hope he got a great producer and sponsors to deliver the HQ production.
The reason I thought of Oonuma is also because Morishima uses noticeably more penta-shaped bokes in YKA, while normally her works have more hearts and stars. So I thought may be she picked it from Oonuma ^^ that's a lot of overthinking and speculation on my end of course. So don't trust me xD
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Keys would still need to be checked for character model consistency (unless they've chosen to not do any checking), line timing, and any other duties the AD has, even if they aren't doling out cuts to different animators.

Yeah, but there won't be need to hire any more of them. Because a) if you are animating an entire episode, the schedule is good so AD will have enough time to check everything, b) drawings definitely aren't poor to an extent that more ADs will be required. And yeah I am kinda doubtful that if you bring one person over to animate an entire episode,that you would eventually correct their work. Hell, there are cases where people were credited for animation director when they did solo key animation.
Quote:
Just a question, but: do you think there are things you know about the cost-structures of animation production that are not known by the people running Silver Link?

Nope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3