• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Next Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Project's … Logo Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
There's just no pleasing some people. Laughing
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
After the disaster that was 3.33, I very much doubt this series can be redeemed. They'll almost have to retcon all of 3.33 has having never happened. It was the worst thing to ever carry the Evangelion name.

Dude, seriously. Every time I see an Evangelion article I ALWAYS know you're going to be there first with an anti 3.0 comment. It's become really predictable. And every time someone tries to rebut your opinion you go on to tell them how they're wrong and how the movie was a franchise destroying turd with no plot or characters.

I've said it at least three times before but: We get it. You really, REALLY don't like 3.0. And of course your opinion trounces everyone else's because you're a huge Eva fan too. And I'm pretty sure every other lesser Eva fan on these forums (who obviously have sh*t taste) understands why you hate it so. From one fan to another, could you please just tone it down a little?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Gehirn wrote:
There were quite a few crappy episodes of Evangelion but most people judge it as good as a whole, so why not wait and do the same thing with the movie series? That is if people can stop being so bitter, though the same thing would've happened if they just re-did the series into movies, people would've been all "I hate compilation movies why didn't we get something different?".

It's easier to swallow a bad episode of a 26 episode TV series than it is an hour and a half of momentum-killing drudge after an amazing previous movie a few years earlier, and in a series of four movies.

Also, I always wondered why you always claim that 2.0 was amazing. I mean, I really enjoy it, but at the same time it really didn't feel anything like Evangelion. I'd assume a huge fan such as yourself would be turned off by it. It's mostly just action. Although I loved Shinji being a badass at the end. At least 3.0 succeeded in pissing people off, in classic Evangelion style. The first two played it extremely safe in that regard.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
Who was that movie even for exactly?

The KaworuxShinji shippers, maybe.

There was a lot laughter/applause during some of their scenes when I saw it at the theater.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Not that anyone who hated 3.0 is going to care, but it was said over and over and over again in interviews with Anno, that 3 and 4 were intended to be released simultaneously. I would assume that is because 3.0 was going to be this kind of movie. He honestly probably wanted to just make it one movie, but since 4 hour movies are sort of frowned upon, he split it up. Nothing ever works out perfectly, in any event. As a small piece of the Evangelion story, 3.0 was amazing. And easily the most Evangelion-esque part so far.

One thing about the 3.0 haters that always cracks me up is how visibly butt-hurt they get that it didn't proceed just how they wanted. Considering that one of the main themes in the EVA story is "Sh*t doesn't work out the way you want it to", I find that highly ironic.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
The problem isn't that it didn't proceed as I wanted, the problem is that it didn't proceed at all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
@ relyat08,

That 3.0 goes has a new backrgound scenario is fine. That it was unexpected is fine.

No. The problem is that it the movie is the dullest, most pointless NGE release ever. The ridiculous action sequences bring to mind Gurren Lagann - if you haven't got much to say, say it LOUDLY so viewers might think it's important.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
It definitely did proceed. I will concede that it wasted time at parts, but that, honestly, didn't bother me at all. And overall it moved the story a ton! It pretty much overhauled the entire thing and sent it in a very new direction. That has me very intrigued and excited to see where it goes from here.

I understand some of the criticisms from a narrative stand-point, but to hate it to the level that some of you guys do is mind-boggling to me.

Quote:
No. The problem is that it the movie is the dullest, most pointless NGE release ever. The ridiculous action sequences bring to mind Gurren Lagann - if you haven't got much to say, say it LOUDLY so viewers might think it's important.

Really? Gurren Lagann is blatantly meant to be mindless fun. And it nailed that perfectly.
If you personally thought EVA 3.0 was dull and pointless, I guess I can't really argue. That's your opinion. To me it was one of the most ridiculously fun movies I've ever seen(right up there with EoE and 2.0). As it stands, it might not be as deep as the show, but I'm trusting Anno to give us some answers in the last installment. And even if it isn't as deep, it was a hell of an entertaining ride. Animation wise and story wise, I'm loving the Rebuilds.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
^
I guess it's a matter of taste. And, yes, I enjoyed the first two rebuild movies.

Gurren Lagann isn't my idea of mindless fun - its valorising of violence as a solution to problems offended me and, as with 3.0, I found it dull.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:22 am Reply with quote
3.0 didn´t proceed anything and instead ran backwards in terms of character story. Nothing was explained and parts felt like borderline derailment. As if giant manatees mixed ideas to see what happens. And the adaptation fight from ep 24(the best) was just crap. It´s cool that some of you liked the new direction and i didn´t hate it but i hope that the final one just ignores what it can and gives us what the first 2 offered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
*Massive spoilers ahead*

Maybe it's the usual case of Stockholm syndrome I've always had with the Eva series, but after struggling through it a few times, I actually learned to enjoy 3.33 for what it is. Granted, the first 30 minutes is still the weakest part of the entire franchise consisting of little but techno-babble over red-tinted shots of electrical equipment, & the series has to create really contrived reasons for the cast not to explain the situation to Shinji, or for him to personally pursue answers, not to mention punting most of the cast into cameo roles. Still, I think the core of the story is a fairly decent parallel with the latter stages of the tv series from Shinji's perspective, showing his relationship with Kaoru as his world slowly falls apart.

The big issue I have is that Anno obviously had an original vision that skewed closer to the tv series & End Of (as the 2.22 trailer obviously points out), but either wrote himself into a corner or just decided to try something new, so scrapped it & started again with a time shift. The problem is that he still used a variant of the tv end/End Of as a real world event that took place somewhere between the two films, serving the backbone to 3.33, & let the viewer figure out what happened from watching those two works, something which is impossible, because a) Shinji was instrumental (^^) to both stories, & b) this version of third impact is radically different to both the events of the tv show & original movie.

Here's several obvious question that haven't been addressed:

* Why is the moon so close to the earth, with a blood-shaped pattern across it?
* Why is Nerv hq suspended in the clouds, above terminal dogma?
* When did Eva 06 descend into terminal dogma (without Koaru's help) and merge with Lilith?
* Why is Lilth/Rei's severed head up in the old control room, supported by dead Evas
* Why was Eva 06 hiding the 12th Angel?
* What happened to the 11th Angel? Is the skeletal body of Misato's air-ship, its corpse? If so, what is the connection between Rei's 09 unit, which Ritsuko states is the ship's 'master'?
* What happened to Eva Units 7, 10, 11, 12?
* What happened to Kaji?
* When did the UN/JSDF attack Nerv, and when did Misato et all leave Nerv?
* Why is there a giant mouth and eye coming out of the ground above central dogma?
* When did where the entire population of Neo Tokyo turn into Evas, and why were they beheaded, with their skulls thrown into central dogma, next to Lilith?
* Is there still an Angel within Asuka's eye?
* Who launched Eva 01 into orbit, and when?

Sure, some of the answers could be shrugged off as sheer visual flair or extrapolated from having prior knowledge of what has come before but mostly we're completely in the dark. I don't buy the notion that much will be explained in the next film as the missing events & questions are complex enough to merit a feature film in their own right & would only serve to pull the story back. Plus I just can't see Anno making yet another version of the 3rd impact, considering it wouldn't involve Shinji & that 3.33 already has its own version.

Obviously, the Eva series is chiefly about character relationships, rather than lore so I can shrug it off somewhat in regards to Shinji, but what of the rest of the cast? An entire story occurred that radically changed their attitudes. Even when the series was at its most messy & vague, there was always enough to guess what had happened. With 3.33 it feels more like Anno created a new mythology, plot points & development, then sneered once it was time to lay it down. Without context there's little meaning to most of the changes. Even at Eva's most visually chaotic, purely trying to show some cool ideas, & even when Anno was obviously giving a middle finger to the fandom, it always felt part of the larger whole. Here, him being mean-spirited is presented as little else but that. It's recycling what's he's already done, feels a somewhat empty gesture & comes across as damaging to the cohesion of the rebuild franchise in general. I kinda wish he'd just write a autobiography to clean out his closet, instead of bogging his films down in the same frustrations. There's nothing more that can be added to End Of.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Are they still using that musical symbol for repeat in the full length movie titles?

Great catch with that. I was happy someone picked up on that instead of trying to fight about the movies. I agree, what happened to that musical "repeat" sign?

I always thought it was a sign, pardon the pun, that the world might repeat again or that we are currently in a continuos loop? God knows what else Anno might have up his sleeve!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
If 3.0 had existed back in the 90's , I doubt we would be having this conversation. No one would care at this point. It didn't end like it was expecting to. Showing the characters older isn't what drove the fandom. 3.0 panders to no one and is forgettable.

You want to see crazy shit again, we got to cut his budget and make him struggle to animate it. Anno's depression and struggle to make Eva, made Eva the way Final Fantasy 7 was made during Sakaguchi's mother's death. It's that human emotion that 3.0 is devoid in. It's logic destroyed the mystique.

Eva lost it's fire. It's a big "what if" movie. They would be smart not to release it here.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed 3.0.

I can see why it might grain on some people given that the film takes place after a long time gap where many things have changed so significantly, that the viewer feels like Shinji, confused, alone & betrayed.

3.0 eschews the character development in favor of plot development, highlighting more about Eva's past, more about what occurred to Shinji's mother, and more insight into the Impact phenomenon.

Essentially, Shinji was riding pretty high at the end of Eva 2.0, manning up and doing what he's gotta do. But in typical Eva fashion, this is subverted to show that sometimes being all gung-ho and confident doesn't mean you aren't making a horrible horrible mistake...

Shinji is thus in a slump the entirety of 3.0 because he's taken a real hit to his ego. He thought he was saving Rei, but this turned out not to be the case. He thought he was saving NERV and his loved ones, but now NERV is not what he thought it was, those he counted on are no longer a part of his father's organization, and they are all now immensely afraid of him as if he's some walking time bomb that will destroy the World quite literally. They are suspicious as to whether or not he is even the same Shinji they knew, or some Angel in his form.

Shinji hasn't had it as low as this, which is when Kowaru waltzes in, giving him hope and Shinji is desperate to undo his mistakes, but even as 3,0 ends, this isn't the case and now he's left totally broken.

3.0 continues on Eva's theme which is essentially coming to terms that you are not God, and you can't turn back time and make everything perfect. I'm certain 4.0 will be about Shinji overcoming regrets, moving forward from his past mistakes that he cannot undo and going forward.

3.0 isn't a disappointment, nor is it uneventful. The battles and action are an expression of the inner turmoil and conflict that rages as Shinji tries to desperately exercise his will and ego to do what he wants and nothing is going to stand in his way. When in fact he is under emotional turmoil and should make just sit back a bit and consider his actions and exercise some caution. Hence the chaos and conflict of which there are really only two major action set-pieces. It is his will against that of another's 'Wille.' And this is the heart of conflict. Thus 3.0 is super focused on Shinji as the central piece and pits him against nearly everyone else. This is Asuka's general frustration with him, calling him a child who just wants what he wants without knowing the consequences.

Evangelion 3.0 is 'anti-Gurren Lagann' in that effect in that just wanting to do shit and doing it with bravado and believing in shit because of the power of the human heart isn't any kind of actual solution, it might just be sheer stupidity.

Shinji is reduced to an almost infant-like state at the end, and thus I figure 4.0 is the film where we'll see him grow and perhaps this time, break that karmic cycle or finally establish a kind-of 'paradise', the world in which he can live in as a real adult.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

3.0 eschews the character development in favor of plot development, highlighting more about Eva's past, more about what occurred to Shinji's mother, and more insight into the Impact phenomenon.

They spent all of ten minutes in a 90 something minute movie on such things. We get little scraps of hints toward things like the Impact phenomenon and Shinji's mother's fate. So little they might as well not have been there. The plot itself is for most purposes, nonexistent. Gendo tries to get Shinji to jump start the end of the world, but isn't that already happening? You could have absorbed everything into the previous film and say that his reaching into the Angel to save Rei was going to do the same thing as what he was doing with Kaworu. It was the same damn thing. Doing it again is redundant.

All 3.33 was, was a lot of long holding shots of Shinji looking pensive punctuated by these action scenes that you can barely make out one object from another in. What the hell was that thing in the beginning? Some kind of Angel? Forget explaining things outright, things are barely even hinted at. Most of the time it's like some obscure piece of modern art, some glob of colors and lines and you stare into it like a ink blot test to see if you can make sense of it.

You can have Shinji drag his feet in depression for a couple episodes of a weekly 20 minute TV series. But when you create a series of films, you can't afford to derail the momentum this badly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4