• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime in Orbit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I think the important thing is that Shiro isn't made to feel any better by the apology. He realizes she only forgives him so readily because of her faith and it makes him feel even worse, and what's more, it's one of the reasons he probably feels he has to go through with the launch, even if it might kill him, as a kind of atonement. It doesn't excuse that what he did was wrong, but I don't think it's meant to. That said, it's still a tough scene to get through, and I can see where it would turn people off to the movie.

Right.

Question, am I the only one who got the impression that Shiro's journey was ultimately one-way? Something about the way things end, combined with not seeing any reentry training during any of the training montages, has always made me speculate that the Space Force was in such a rush to put a man in space, they didn't work out how to bring him back down.

Which has always sort of recontexualized a lot of events and character moments for me.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
snip .

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But I think what the movie is trying to do with that scene, is to remind up that Shiro is NOT a hero. He's a stupid kid pretending to be a hero. and that never chances, final speech or no.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[successful] re-entry is shown in the ending credits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Honneamise is my favorite anime film. That film made me into the fan that I am today. After that I went on to watch Evangelion, GunBuster, etc it was basically the gateway to everything else in my top 10s.

I feel like debating THAT scene is a dead horse now. The film should be remembered for its artistic merits not for those five or so minutes.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
Nah, you know it was in 1987 at a time when they put a scene like that just to say "see, animation is not just for children! this is MATURE stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
@Jose Cruz I [expletive] love your avatar.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote
Space Fantasia 2001 Nights is a very underrated space anime, IMO. Wish mike had mentioned it.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
> I kind of wish that more novels in the series would come out in English.

The second novel came out too!
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
No mention of Argentosoma? Man, the astronaut thing in that show was probably the best part.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Extraterrestrial Girl is my favorite episode/chapter of Planetes too.

Space Brothers is the only anime I'll recommend to people, it's almost the perfect anime.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god. Michael aknowledget that the original Planaets manga(10/10) is superior to the anime(8/10) ! The love dodecahedron that the anime invented made me go insane and the missing final third in the manga is just gold. The lovestory also works way better in the original. His Vinland Saga is nearly Beserk good. What a writer ! The Space Bros manga is amazing but Wings of Honneamise is my king of realistic space travel. I even liked the brief bit of sexual assaut that Bennett the Sage hated. It felt in character to me and had repercussions. I would never cut it.
I also just watched the bad Nora ova(the only one i can find). It was truly as abysmal as promissed.

I still can´t believe that Legend of the Galactic Heroes is comming back next year or that Interstellar is only "good". See you in space cowboy !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Oh my god. Michael aknowledget that the original Planaets manga(10/10) is superior to the anime(8/10) ! The love dodecahedron that the anime invented made me go insane and the missing final third in the manga is just gold. The lovestory also works way better in the original.

Like I said before, these are all opinions...but let's try to keep the hyperbole under control here, because a dodecahedron has twelve sides and the image would make people wrongly think this was a harem show. The Planetes anime simply added one character with a mild to moderate interest in Tanabe. He isn't actively involved most of the time. The other thing was how Hachi had a former girlfriend who has zero interest left in him and is only important for the political side of the story in a completely non-romantic respect. That's all. This isn't Tenchi Muyo. Razz

The manga more or less assumes the romance happened in the background, past a couple of nice highlights. Still sweet, especially towards the end, but less of a focus or concern.

I understand wanting to see that final third, which is basically a long side story about Fee, but it would have been impossible to fit in without more episodes or delaying the start of the anime production. It was published far too late and the content, while pretty cool, is mostly unrelated to the rest. Would have worked as an OVA series though.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Pay attention, people.

Handed out a strike to 2 users, already.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
If you're gonna quote large posts, learn to just snip down to the relevant bits, or the whole thing. (There's a built in link to the post you quoted that anyone who wants to read the whole thing can click.) Edit: apparently this isn't actually true.

That said, surely phpbb has a plugin that will automaticly trim out quote nests greater then 2?

Also, It seems kind of mean to punish folks when your forum automaticly quotes all quotes in a message when you click quote.

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
diadumenian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
No 30-minute OVA packs a greater emotional punch than Voices of a Distant Star. A teenage schoolgirl, training for a war in distant space, tries to communicate her love to a soldier deployed for battle, as the distance between them increases by light years between messages. Really powerful stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4