• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No need to go back and edit the post if that happens, Cyphon. We all realize that opinions can change over the course of a series and there's definitely no shame in admitting later on that your initial impressions were off. (Happened to me lots of times!) Just make a new post explaining how you've changed your mind.

As for your concerns, despite seeming to be an ordinary harem series the writing here does seem a little smarter than normal, so I strongly suspect that we will see how Aki got the attention of the two girls addressed in much more detail as the series goes forward. (And besides, while that scenario is mostly fantasy, I have seen a couple of cases IRL where gorgeous ladies have seemed to be romantically involved with guys whose looks I would have said were even below average, and in situations where money/power wasn't likely to have been a factor.) Also, don't forget the way I described episode 0: it's an obligatory "fan service fest" episode, the kind that normally appears as an OVA. Those often go vastly beyond any fan service content that the series might otherwise have, so I think it's probable that we actually won't see the "ramping up" that you're concerned about. In fact, I am fully anticipating that the fan service will remain low for the rest of the series, with possibly one or two episodes as exceptions.

Well, that's a relief. I'll be genuinely surprised if this anime makes me eat my words by the end of the season.

Quote:
Also, on the bookshelf there were the spines of the LN series Kūsen Madōshi Kōhosei no Kyōkan (which will premiere in April and Matsuoka Yoshitsugu will voice the lead in it. Also, it will be animated by Diomedéa, who animates the currently-airing Jūō Mujin no Fafnir, which has Matsuoka Yoshitsugu as the MC's voice. It is all connected, man. Wicked ), Highschool DxD and Date A Live

I like it when shows have references in them. Durarara x2 has tons in its first episode, and so did Log Horizon 2. They're kind of like Easter eggs in the show for fans to hunt for and find. On the business side, they can advertise for each other, so it isn't too much of a surprise to see existing anime projects in airing shows.
BusterKingSyros

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I am really enjoying this show so far. For me I can really tell that there is some passion and vision in behind work, maybe the MC is a reflection of the director? I does not compare to rest of "filler" that's out this season, there is care here. The writing is witty and complex, it reminds me vaguely of Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. At the very least it will tide me over until yahari comes back. So well done Saekano you've hooked me, now reel me in.
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Key wrote:
No need to go back and edit the post if that happens, Cyphon. We all realize that opinions can change over the course of a series and there's definitely no shame in admitting later on that your initial impressions were off. (Happened to me lots of times!) Just make a new post explaining how you've changed your mind.

As for your concerns, despite seeming to be an ordinary harem series the writing here does seem a little smarter than normal, so I strongly suspect that we will see how Aki got the attention of the two girls addressed in much more detail as the series goes forward. (And besides, while that scenario is mostly fantasy, I have seen a couple of cases IRL where gorgeous ladies have seemed to be romantically involved with guys whose looks I would have said were even below average, and in situations where money/power wasn't likely to have been a factor.) Also, don't forget the way I described episode 0: it's an obligatory "fan service fest" episode, the kind that normally appears as an OVA. Those often go vastly beyond any fan service content that the series might otherwise have, so I think it's probable that we actually won't see the "ramping up" that you're concerned about. In fact, I am fully anticipating that the fan service will remain low for the rest of the series, with possibly one or two episodes as exceptions.

Well, that's a relief. I'll be genuinely surprised if this anime makes me eat my words by the end of the season.

As someone who is following the LN, I can tell you that the fanservice scene in all LN volumes so far can be count with the fingers on one hand with the bait-and-switch Theron mentioned in the review account for one of the very limited amount of fanservice.

Since I'm not sure about the specifics policy in ANN forums, I'll just put an outside link here:{Taking the liberty of inserting above image. ~nbahn}

That's a color page at the beginning of LN Vol2. While at a glance it may clearly depict a fanservice scene, it does feature the fine print: "Image is of a product that is still in development and may subject to change without prior notice."; a line very often seen in game trailers, and the scene itself is nowhere to be found in the LN proper.

While there have been a number of changes compare to the LN (including the fact that ep0 is anime original), for example:
-- Instead of keeping the original LN's context of Katou Megumi was in 1-E while Aki Tomoya was in 1-A, and having an explanation that the 2 classes were on the same floor with Tomoya having to pass by 1-E classroom to get to his classroom, Maruto changed to the 2 of them being in the same class in their 1st year.
-- You can also see the another example in the 2 manga adaptations (Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata & Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata ~egoistic lily~) where the meeting of characters instead of having all of them in the same room with each of them take turn talking, was split into Tomoya seeing Eriri and Utaha separately.

All were what I consider as appropriate for the different medium to achieve the same effect/result (and Maruto Fumiaki, the writer of the LN, is also the one who write for the anime).

While I'd expect events in the LN to be adapted into animation form, I wouldn't expect for Maruto himself to just randomly adding fanservice scene into the show.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I actually think that the running gag at the restaurant was to diminish everything that Megumi was talking. I felt that the client and the waitress where talking louder than her, like she was the background and the others the actual protagonists. I also hope that Aki won't become more annoying than he was in this episode.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
having megumi dissapear was genious; I am not sure fi this is a harem deconstruction/subversion or just meta, but I am glad this is trying to do what it's trying to do.
Kaon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The Dialogue is great... and the characters play off of each other well, but I can't bring myself to like the main character. IMO he feels like a less charming version of Katsuragi Keima.

Speaking of dialogue... damn there was a lot of it... like not Monogatari levels but it was up there.

Kato has Kuroko levels of presence and does stealth mode better than Hachiman Smile

Last edited by Kaon on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
whether this series is raunchy or not does not matter to me as long as it is a harem series then i am going to watch it
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I can see everyone noticed the figs, Amagi volumes in the bookshelf, and some other references. But didn't anyone notice Popra-chan was the waitress? She might not have been as shorty but she definetely was a look-alike, that was what made it all the funnier.

This series is doing pretty great at getting me entertained, like Inou Battle and Oreshura, I hope it doesn't disappoint me as those.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
about the annoying mc, learn to hate/watch ; one year ago I loved golden but really hated both the mc and the heroine, so when suffering happened the show was pretty enjoyable, even when it did not I was just anticipating it.
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
I agree that the MC can be a bit annoying at times, but I also found him fun to watch, specially when he was interacting with Kato. They play off each other pretty well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote
Yep, the show is quite meta.

Megumi's dialogue pretty much outed him as the male protagonist as one of the most well know people in the school, and from the outside looking like he has two girlfriends (harem). He kind of makes that he wants to be part of that story, but despite what he is saying it he is finding that he kind of does not know what he wants. I am sticking to the idea that the plot is really outlining what does the audience want.

About saying that this episode reaches meta like episode 0, I repeat episode 1 was still very meta, you just had to realise that. Episode 0 asked how should they try and hook the audience. Episode 1 asked how should they start the story. And I would say episode 2 has started to ask where it should go from there. It brought up where she stands, how others see him, and where should it be heading with an example. The harem girls had a fight over what was the better part with story or imagery, but by the end it was clearly about who was better, with them asking him "who".

But there was one almost throwaway line that ties it together, that he finds her surprisingly fun to hang out with, and she kind of just agrees to join under the pretence of just being games. The episodes title was pretty much "A Girlfriend Without a Raised Flag", it had me wonder about this almost dating like situation where it is missing the usual medium flags. The episode even had a little talk about what might be important for a date, strangely he did choose night view.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 review wrote:
If you are looking for sexy harem antics then you are apparently going to have to look elsewhere. If more involved ruminations on harem games/series interest you, though, then this may be the way to go.

Kaon wrote:
Speaking of dialogue... damn there was a lot of it... like not Monogatari levels but it was up there.

Not only quantity but also in quality. What the review failed to sufficiently mention is how amazingly entertaining the dialog actually is. Megumi might be monotone, but she is wickedly insightful and witty. Rhetorically she is like a solid tether-ball pole to which Tomoya is tied and is whipped and flung and reeled. She is suited for the role of the straight-man of the team perfectly.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
I agree with HaruhiToy's interpretation. She pretty much was the straight man in episode 0 anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
904thehero1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
I do like this show, my only problem is when it shows his room. All the anime that i try to spot It is too distracting I was more focused on that. In episode 3 alone I saw Madoka magica, date a live, agami brilliant park, SAO, D-Frag, World Conquest Zvedell Plot (or however u spell it.) There was probably more, but that was all i could tell.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tomoya can't come up with a good idea for his dating sim; is the show similarly struggling with finding the plot?

Seems that way. Episode 3 was a painful watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8