• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old Video Troubleshooting

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for letting me know. It looks like our daily queue with our ad partner is out for the day. It should refill tomorrow.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

Episode 39 of Nobody's Boy Remi doesn't want to play. All other episodes load up fine. I've tried getting 39 to work on both Safari and Firefox but no go.

I don't want to continue to 40 until I get a chance to see 39. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: So the problem only manifest itself when in 480p mode for episode 39. Switching to 360p seems to be a workaround. Although I think 480p is the default?
jsevakis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
You're the second person to alert me to this, but I can't replicate the problem. I'll have to chalk this one up to a glitch in the matrix.

EDIT: I re-uploaded the file in question. Let me know if that makes a difference for you.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

EDIT: I re-uploaded the file in question. Let me know if that makes a difference for you.

That did it. Thanks!
The Yaoi Review

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I can't seem to get this anime to play for any of the episodes. Tried it in Explorer and Firefox, had others try for me and same thing. I checked other Crunchyroll anime to see if it was due to that and no problem. Checked about 15 different titles regardless of who they were from and all will play. Can you check and see if this one is having a problem? Thanks!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
There doesn't seem to be a search engine for finding videos on ANN. The links in the encyclopedia almost always seem to be broken or non-responsive. Plus providing a video link for each encyclopedia entry that has a video available seems much more difficult to manage than a search box *actually IN the VIDEO section*

The Video section just seems to have an arbitrary list of assorted videos and no search method to actually find what video I'm looking for.

Are there any plans to fix this?

Now here's where I embarrass myself by detailing my computer specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 2.2ghz
Memory: 2.5gb
Video: 256 MB ATI Radeon 9550 Series
Primary browser: Firefox 3.6.12
Flash: 10.1 r102
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I get this message when I try to access the "premium" video page:

Quote:
We're terribly sorry but an unexpected error occured while generating this page.
A notification has been automatically sent to the webmaster and he'll look into the matter as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding.

edit add: tried to access it 4 or 5 times today.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
I had a lot of problems with the video player today. Once it just stopped playing in the middle of an episode. I don't think I had lost my Internet connection or anything like that, and I waited at least a minute to see if it would start playing again on its own, but it didn't. I had to reload the page to get it to play again. Later, when I wanted to rewatch part of the episode, it just failed to start playing when I clicked the play button. After refreshing the page, it froze or crashed Internet Explorer a few times when I tried to get it to skip ahead to a later part of the episode. Eventually I was able to get it to work, but I had to reload the page several times.

I also had the player mess up in odd ways a couple times, which I think might have been because I tried to do two actions too close together. Once I tried to pause and then immediately hit escape to exit full screen. That resulted in the player exiting full screen but continuing to play, and all the controls for the player disappearing. The area where the controls would be was just black, and it was impossible to pause, go back to full screen, navigate through the episode, etc. at that point (I had to refresh the page).

Another time I started the episode playing and then immediately tried to skip to near the end of the episode. This resulted in the video skipping to the point I specified in the episode, but both the sound from the beginning of the episode and the sound at the point I skipped to continued playing. After that, the sound from the beginning of the episode continued even when I tried skipping to other points in the episode again. Again, I had to refresh the page to fix the problem.

I've noticed that on the video player page I see the icon in the lower left corner of the Internet Explorer window that indicates an error with the page. Clicking the icon shows an error message which I've listed below. I'm using Internet Explorer version 8.0. I don't know if that error is the cause of all the video problems I'm having, but regardless if anyone can give me any suggestions on how to fix the problems I was having, I would appreciate it. My experience with the player today was quite frustrating.

Here are the error details from Internet Explorer:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 05:27:55 UTC

Line: 207
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: animenewsnetwork.com/video/10295/
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
I've seen strange errors with the video player in IE, similar to what you describe, but I was never able to consistently reproduce them, let alone fix them. It seems like sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it behaves in weird, unpredictable ways. Sometimes a page reload is all it takes to fix the problems.

The javascript error was a small thing, not related to the player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Edo Rocket (d) first episode is reporting this when I play:
SECURITY ERROR: Failed to load XML
'http://vast.bp3844873.btrll.com/vast/3844873?n=1296248221065

It keeps repeating, so I'll ditch this one until it's fixed.

Note: btrll.com is not included in any of my filtering apps. I turn them off when viewing videos.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
The ads in the episodes seem to pretty consistantly start a couple seconds earlier than they should, often interrupting lines of dialoge. For most of the ads, the last couple of seconds of both video and sound that should have been before the ad will come after the ad. However, at the end of the episode, the last couple seconds are just lost (i.e. it doesn't come back to the video after the final ad, so you don't get to see the last couple seconds). I'm finding this particularly annoying with the next episode previews, as there is no way to see the last couple seconds of it. For instance, several of the previews for Rideback are essentially jokes with a setup and then a punchline, and the video goes to the final ad after the setup but before the punchline.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
The ads in the episodes seem to pretty consistantly start a couple seconds earlier than they should, often interrupting lines of dialoge. For most of the ads, the last couple of seconds of both video and sound that should have been before the ad will come after the ad.

Out of interest, is this all videos or just FUNimation's? Their Youtube videos have exactly the same problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Calathan wrote:
The ads in the episodes seem to pretty consistantly start a couple seconds earlier than they should, often interrupting lines of dialoge. For most of the ads, the last couple of seconds of both video and sound that should have been before the ad will come after the ad.

Out of interest, is this all videos or just FUNimation's? Their Youtube videos have exactly the same problem.

It might just be FUNimation's videos, but I'm not sure because it happens that what I've been watching here recently has been from FUNimation. You are right that the ad in the middle of the episodes on Youtube does the same thing (I just watched a couple episodes there and noticed that). However, on Youtube the video seems to reach the end of the episodes without cutting off the last couple seconds. I'm quite certain of that since I specifically watched the end of some of the next episode previews there after they got cut off here.
segaguy99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
I'm having trouble watching some of the videos. I started watching Oreimo a couple days ago and it worked fine, then the other day it just stopped working. It seems to not be able to load ads, but I don't have an adblocker active. I tried one of the videos that come from Hulu and it worked fine -- but if I try one with the ANN logo at the beginning I just get the spinning white circle forever.

I've tried this in IE and Chrome, same thing happens in both.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
The ad breaks are supplied to us by Funimation for the most part, so please tell me which series you're having those issues with and I'll take a look, and if necessary, bug them. Smile

Segaguy99, could you please PM me with the version of Flash you're using? Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11