• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Code Geasscast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
In regard to Lelouch vs. Suzaku and the idea "team Suzaku" effectively doesn't exist even in season 1 because we're so clearly meant to root for Lelouch, I think it's simultaneously true that the show sides with Lelouch but doesn't support him very well thanks to the barrage of crazy, out-of-left-field twists it is so in love with.

I'd posit that to the extent people side with Lelouch, they do it out of an ingrained and generally healthy instinct to side with the idea of rebellion in response to intolerable infringements on liberty and dignity. America was founded on a rebellion justified on those grounds, civil rights crusades are not exactly known to be passive affairs playing the very long game. In the Geass setting, Japan is under a tyrannical heel and its people are termed as a number and treated as less than members of the conquering Empire. It's very easy for the viewer to see Suzaku's wish for bloodless, gradual reform as inadequate and Lelouch's grandiose revolution as attractive in contrast, however unfortunate the price may be.

However, toward the end of the first season Lelouch's insurrection and Suzaku's rapport with Euphemia combine to create a perfect condition for Suzaku's ideal to be tried. Maybe it didn't go far enough, maybe it wouldn't have lasted and Lelouch's movement would have started up again. But the point is that rather than explore the topic properly, Geass short circuits the whole thing with the "OOPS, GENOCIDE!" twist. Then season 2 comes and the moment the idea comes up again, the show changes the setting. Then later, what's the event that breaks Suzaku and leads him to team up with Lelouch as his right hand? The accidental nuke caused by the Geass command to live no matter what.

In other words, Geass doesn't back up one side in the argument so much as it does take a shortcut to an answer without really taking the time to think it all through. Suzaku isn't shown to be wrong so much as he's just brutally subverted by events, by the same kind of wacky coincidences that keep Lelouch on his toes and are supposed to keep the show entertaining. Which they maybe do, admittedly. But they're also a fatal weakness that subverts the show's attempts at being taken seriously when it tries to take itself seriously.

In short: if you want to settle an argument in favor of your lead character, don't cheat.

Incidentally, I don't think it should pass without mention that Lelouch the pragmatist who "got things done" had no problem at all sacrificing a lot of lives for his objectives in both seasons, including in the final arc. The show may not question that too much, but it's not clear to me the viewer should imitate that. Geass, I think, attempts to compensate for this somewhat with Lelouch's final plot being for this utopian supposedly war-free endgame he chases not for his sake, but for everyone else. But really, is that so easy to swallow?
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree 100%
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather disappointed by what Hope said about Maria the Virgin Witch selling really poorly. I don't think I expected it to do overly well, but I was hoping it would at least do ok. Oh well, I still plan on getting it whenever Funimation releases it.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Incidentally, I don't think it should pass without mention that Lelouch the pragmatist who "got things done" had no problem at all sacrificing a lot of lives for his objectives in both seasons, including in the final arc. The show may not question that too much, but it's not clear to me the viewer should imitate that. Geass, I think, attempts to compensate for this somewhat with Lelouch's final plot being for this utopian supposedly war-free endgame he chases not for his sake, but for everyone else. But really, is that so easy to swallow?

It'd take me far too long to address the rest of your comment right now, but here's my response to this part.

I would say the more important point is Lelouch was already fully aware that he needed to be punished for killing people. He knew that in episode one and the man, in one sense or another, was true to it at the end of the story. Otherwise, he wouldn't have let himself be killed. Lelouch, more than anyone else, knew that playing with human lives deserved punishment.

For the record, his endgame isn't an utopian war-free society though. It might feel that way, but the epilogue says otherwise. It's a better one with more progress towards peace, yet there are still issues and wars could break out. The world will just be better prepared to deal with them.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I always felt like Code Geass was trying to deconstuct the whole headstrong-hero-and-more-intelligent-anti-hero-rival/enemy trope, by focusing on the anti-hero. Of course, both just become bigger and bigger hypocrites as time goes on, but in the end they achieve their goals. And while he wasn't perfectly executed, I thought Lelouch was certainly an interesting and complex protagonist, being so driven by a twisted mix of love, revenge, sadism, pride, and lusts for power and redemption.

I'm just surprised that with given how popular the original Code Geass was, the spin-off Akito the Exiled seems barely heard of. I suppose it's a more solid series, but a lot less over-the-top entertaining than the original. Although Akito definitely does have much, much, much better fight scenes and choreography; as much as I enjoyed the original series the mecha battles tended to be pretty generic.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

Following my previous comments on the other podcast thread, which dealt with a very brief preview of this week's episode, I would argue Code Geass still had comparatively better main character writing than a bunch of recently popular shows, including most of Sunrise's recent output. This can be either good or bad, but for me it's good.

With exception of Kotestu from TB I agree that Lelouch is more memorable than Haruto, Ange and a plethora of other mid 00s to present Sunrise MCs but he's really no better written from most LN MCs nowadays with their flawed and edgey tendencies and devotions to their imoutos but one thing I would give Okouchi merit on is that he did make him as unlikable and flawed as possible without making him too pathetic or an outright villain nor did he dress those flaws up to make him this idealized character everyone wanted to be. He's definitely more of a Char clone than most Char clones in Gundam in which that he has the same bad tendencies but you just can't help but be drawn by his charisma.

jroa wrote:

I think that's the key element which makes Code Geass still worth watching in 2015. For my money, the quality of Goro Taniguchi's direction made a big difference too, but in terms of contents the character of Lelouch was also vital to the success of the show and helps explain why so many people were willing to embrace it. Not too surprisingly, Taniguchi did say -back in the day- that was where he focused his efforts. The guy got it.

Its hard to say if a show that sells over 40,000 units is largely due to the love of one character since Danmachi proves that you can't bank success on one single character. There was a lot of elements that came into play for CG sucess between Clamp's character designs, the mecha and stellar voice work while catering to every otaku fetish imaginable. Lelouch was definitely the star of the show but lots of set pieces made it work.

jroa wrote:

I would say the more important point is Lelouch was already fully aware that he needed to be punished for killing people. He knew that in episode one and the man, in one sense or another, was true to it at the end of the story. Otherwise, he wouldn't have let himself be killed. Lelouch, more than anyone else, knew that playing with human lives deserved punishment.

That doesn't disprove his point though. You're still a horrible person even if you admit it and the thing with Lelouch is that he still blamed the world for his own misfortune and saw nothing wrong with his actions including betrayal and killing if it meant his goal could be achieved. He doesn't venture into Light territory because he uses Nunnally as a scapegoat which he realizes he couldn't do anymore in R2 after what transpired. And if that was the case he should have offed himself before R2 when the only reason why he even considered it was after finding out his entire ambition was a farce.

jroa wrote:

For the record, his endgame isn't an utopian war-free society though. It might feel that way, but the epilogue says otherwise. It's a better one with more progress towards peace, yet there are still issues and wars could break out. The world will just be better prepared to deal with them.

The notion that the death of a tyrant was the only way the world could stablized itself is completely absurd which is fitting for a show like this.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
You can't say the same about Valvrave or Guilty Crown. They do have superficially similar "genius" characters who are technically capable of pulling off crazy moves too, but they're flat in terms of personality. They just don't work from a dramatic perspective and tend to lack any real flaws. Don't get me started about all the problems with Shu and Haruto, which also make me angry since Okouchi should have probably known better than to create those individuals into protagonists. I guess he needs Taniguchi (or someone even better) to keep him from wandering off into the wild.

I don't think Okouchi created Shu, since he wasn't even the head writer on Guilty Crown. He was assistant to the actual head writer, Hiroyuki Yoshino, which was an interesting reversal of the roles they had on Code Geass.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

I agree with Zac and Hope in that Suzaku's side of the argument is philosophically weaker than Lelouch's to the point it is not a real contest in practice, despite him making some sense at times (like with Euphemia's plan). That is an admitted limitation of the show. I do think Suzaku's character dynamics with Lelouch are interesting and entertaining. Outside of who is right and who is wrong, I like the contradictions and hypocrisy of Suzaku's character in contrast to Lelouch's own flaws. There are some good parallels and theatrical melodramatics involved too.

I'm still shocked people believe this, not surprised with Hope and Zac since it obvious they just skim through the series, but the show pretty much presented that there was nothing wrong with Suzaku's argument or that it was weaker but showing that not all Britannians were evil racists with Lelouch's friends, Euphie, Lloyd and Cecil (ironically Jeremiah is one of the most popular characters on the Britannia side didn't exactly change his views on Elevens and neither did Cornelia who is also celebrated) the same way they showed that the Elevens weren't exactly put into their position by accident, showing that a Japanese born citizen could become a Knight of the Britannian Army this was actually significant enough that Diethard ordered Kallen to kill him because he saw where Zero was losing favor with his audience and the final kicker getting the special zone approved by making friends with Euphie which only never came to fruition due to contrivance. The show never points to any of this being a bad idea, in fact the only problem is that the show stops focusing on idealogies in R2 for the "killing god" plotline and then needs an excuse to get a final conflict brewing so their best solution was to give everyone an idiot ball of course the biggest irony is that Lelouch and Suzaku wind up doing exactly the opposite of what they originally wanted in the end anyways.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Apparently, there were a sh*t ton of issues behind the scenes of Code Geass. Director Goro Taniguchi had gained a reputation for being a perfectionist from his work on Planetes, and Sunrise didn't want to give him a second chance. If what the staff said was true, they didn't even have their own photocopier. Then of course, the show got too popular for its own good, switching its timeslot to a more mainstream one and forcing the writers to start over from scratch. It was a mess, and it shows in the second half.

Someone else that knows the truth. Its so rare to see. Crying or Very sad I hope for the 10th anniversary next year, they let Taniguchi create his original plot of R2, and just call it an alternate route(like the many manga's of Code Geass), but I'm going to guess that the last OVA of Akito is the 10th anniversary present.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Apparently, there were a sh*t ton of issues behind the scenes of Code Geass. Director Goro Taniguchi had gained a reputation for being a perfectionist from his work on Planetes, and Sunrise didn't want to give him a second chance. If what the staff said was true, they didn't even have their own photocopier. Then of course, the show got too popular for its own good, switching its timeslot to a more mainstream one and forcing the writers to start over from scratch. It was a mess, and it shows in the second half.

Someone else that knows the truth. Its so rare to see. Crying or Very sad I hope for the 10th anniversary next year, they let Taniguchi create his original plot of R2, and just call it an alternate route(like the many manga's of Code Geass), but I'm going to guess that the last OVA of Akito is the 10th anniversary present.

There is no original plotline for R2 because it was never planned for a continuation to begin with, all you had was a series a dropped scenarios like Lelouch being captured and sneaking out at night to be Zero ala Batman which lead the creation of Rolo and putting him back at Ashford. Only the ending is part of the original scenario they had from the beginning.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I think the core reason why the Lelouch/Suzaku dynamic ended up with such a lop-sided fan reception (and eventual treatment from the script) was because it simple didn't create two sides that we're entertaining in their own right like with Light/L. Suzaku doesn't have a unique design, bizarre mannerisms, nor does he orchestrate bizarre yet brilliant plans to one-up his foe in a deadly game Cat-and-Mouse. spoiler[He's boring morally upright dude who caves at the last minute with a tragic romance that no one really cares about besides the sheer shock value of"Bloodstained Euphemia". He was more memorable for his unexplained ninja skills and Spinzaku then anything else]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
My favorite things are the Kallen fan service and the Kallen/Lelouch shipping moments but I also do enjoy how Lelouch was willing to atone for his crimes.

Regarding the dub: I don't know if it's true but I read on some sites (The Escapist and TV Tropes, for instance) that there were Japanese people who actually like Johnny Yong Bosch as Lelouch over Jun Fukuyama.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:

I'm just surprised that with given how popular the original Code Geass was, the spin-off Akito the Exiled seems barely heard of. I suppose it's a more solid series, but a lot less over-the-top entertaining than the original. Although Akito definitely does have much, much, much better fight scenes and choreography; as much as I enjoyed the original series the mecha battles tended to be pretty generic.

A lot of the reason why Akito the Exiled is barely talked about is probably 2 parts. A) It's only available as fansubs as far as I'm aware (or importing it from Japan) and today with the prevalence of streaming there are a lot of people who solely watching streaming and probably some who barely know where to get fansubs if they got into fandom in the last few years. B) It's taking a long time to be released. The first episode came out over 3 years ago and the 5th and final episode won't be released for another 5 months. I never even bothered watching it when it first came out as I knew it would be a while till it was finished.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

The show's ending isn't as cookie cutter as that especially when the "peace" is built upon yet another stack of lies in itself or that their reasons were entirely selfish according to Tanguichi and Okiuchi. You weren't suppose to feel glad that Lelouch died or that Suzaku must live on as a symbol for the rest of his life [...]

I didn't say it was simple, and those picture dramas that I mentioned are anything but comedic. It's a bittersweet ending, it's not 100% happy or tragic, and that's what makes it good.

Saffire wrote:
It kinda does, actually! Respect for people is built on respecting their right to life and free will, among other things. It's been a while since I've seen this but I'm fairly certain he uses his classmates as experiments on the effects of the geass without their knowledge; there's nothing about "respect for people" in there. Lelouch tries to convince himself that he's justified and all that but he makes it clear that he will trample anything necessary for his ambition.

But he doesn't trample "anything"! He uses geass because it's the weapon he has, but that doesn't mean he thinks it's perfectly fine and he has no problems with it. I don't know how "he uses it sometimes for limited purposes" translates to "he has no moral qualms about it at all and uses it every chance he gets, for the evulz."
Also, note that he doesn't, for example, find a student in the school whose parents are Britannian generals and geass the student to kill her own parents. Students like that probably exist, and Lelouch actually has memorized basic information about every single student. He doesn't do that, though. He has one girl mark the wall every day (to see how long an order lasts), and he geasses Shirley's roommate to stand guard while he and C.C. search her room. That's all. Practical, limited, not absolute.

And this is what I was saying about fans' responses to characterization. When I read a lot of the responses, it seems like people expect the characters to have a fully formed philosophy about their path, and stick to it absolutely, never making any exceptions. That is just not how people operate, and that is not how good characterization works. I never said there are no other anime with good characterization, because there definitely are others, but for some reason, with this particular show, people seem to find the complexity of the characters as a flaw, not a positive thing.

Last edited by lavmintrose on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

It'd take me far too long to address the rest of your comment right now, but here's my response to this part.

Well, I'll grant I overstated the case with talk of utopia. However while Kallen's monologue does reference problems they still need to work out for themselves, she also says "all the energy that was once expended on war has now been directed to solving hunger and poverty".

Still, for a moment let's take for granted your interpretation is correct. In that case, why would Lelouch go to such lengths to fool everyone instead of allying with his one-time allies to take on Schneizel, who could have been the one set up as the villain to unite the rest of the world? Remember, Lelouch had an opportunity to join that alliance as the Emperor of Britannia. He simply chose to exploit it with a double cross instead of trying honesty for once.

If the answer to that is that Lelouch figured he deserved to die being seen as a monster, that's not a good enough reason. He sent hordes of mind-controlled soldiers to their deaths, got Suzaku to throw his old life away, broke his sister's heart and imposed on his old friends to perpetuate his big lie, all to assuage his guilty conscience? Yet the show seems to want us to view his final plot as an intricately planned sacrifice.

It's more palatable to figure Lelouch figured his death was the only way to achieve his outcome, and that it would be so ideal as to justify everything. Only I'm stumped on why he would think these things, though it's admittedly been awhile for me.

The final arc, I think, is messy in retrospect. Maybe less so than other parts of season 2, but messy nonetheless.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7