• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dengeki Bunko Editor: 'No Season 3 Yet' for A Certain Magical Index

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
"New Index season announced. Original anime work written by Kazuma Kamachi."

World ends in flames.

As long as Kamachi writes it, sign me up. I've read enough of his stuff that I have faith in pretty much anything he comes up with. Now if it is just pitching an idea for it, then not so much.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Besides, those aren't filler. They are canon. Kamachi is suppose to have given them the ideas for it, and those 2 arcs explain what are otherwise unresolved parts of the story. The final arc of S1 even got a nod in the novels.

Kamachi looks at his timeline, sees a 12 hour spot that didn't have a world threatening arc yet, and makes one Laughing
What annoys me the most about the Railgun anime is the inclusion and butchering of Kongo. That directly contradicts the timeline, so when there are arcs where she's important that are supposed to be canon while she isn't even there in the canon timeline my brain goes "?"
Yerld

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Besides, those aren't filler. They are canon. Kamachi is suppose to have given them the ideas for it, and those 2 arcs explain what are otherwise unresolved parts of the story. The final arc of S1 even got a nod in the novels.

Kamachi looks at his timeline, sees a 12 hour spot that didn't have a world threatening arc yet, and makes one Laughing
What annoys me the most about the Railgun anime is the inclusion and butchering of Kongo. That directly contradicts the timeline, so when there are arcs where she's important that are supposed to be canon while she isn't even there in the canon timeline my brain goes "?"

As brand manager, it's Kazuma Miki's job to work out the timeline, along with Kamachi. If something seems odd, it's because they chose to take liberties in order to further their production interests (which is money for them both; furthermore, the Japanese are far less concerned with perfect continuity than western fandom). At the end of the day, nothing gets into the anime without going through them first.

It can only work this way because there's no single writer in charge of the anime. The duties have gone from Masanao Akahoshi (Index) to Seishi Minakami (Railgun) to Hiroyuki Yoshino (Endymion and key parts of Railgun S). From interviews, it's clear that all this time, the direction and approval came from Miki/Kamachi to the assigned writers.
NoremaC-_-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
i respect his humility for such an apology, seems he's taking up some sort of responsibility in regards to the future of the index animation. in any case would an index season 3 even be nessesary at this point, the manga just flew through half of OT12 and will be catching up to the anime soon.
but the largest factor for an adaption is the purpose of the adaption. as there is ussually a buisness angle to exploit with making an anime adaption;
i.e. IndexI was simply establishing the brand across manga and lightnovels alike, as index was the strongest of their lightnovel line ups at the time.
RailgunS1 was to establish the dengeki manga.
IndexII was to reinvigorate interest in the index relaunch in the form of New testement.
and RailgunS2 was simply monopolising on the uncanny success of the first railgun season.
while the index movie was simply for J.C. staffs aniversary and needed a strong brand(what stronger one than a series as big as index). so until a genuine reason presents itself for indexIII to be produced; it simply won't be.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SilverTalon01"]
jr0904 wrote:
i didn't say they were gonna skip arcs. i said is which arc would they do first to keep the series in cannon and faithful towards the original source materials for both series.

In that case, I think he is confused like I am because you're options are a railgun only arc and skipping quite a few arcs.

I would expect Index III to start with Terra of the Left's volume since that is next in the Index time line from where Index II stopped.

which is what i was getting at. the way how index II ended had some people confused thinking that the next season would have the WWIII arc first, but that shouldnt happen timewise until after liberty arts city.

you know these committees. they will say their being faithful towards a series original source materials,then for some reason whether its financial or otherwise will end the series via original anime ending.

and considering that high school dxd born had an original anime ending instead of that season ending via the light novels route, toaru fans are very concerned that a potential season three for index and railgun will end the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
which is what i was getting at. the way how index II ended had some people confused thinking that the next season would have the WWIII arc first, but that shouldnt happen timewise until after liberty arts city.

Uh, I think you're the one that is confused. Liberal Arts City happened time wise before the end of Index II, so Index III will certainly be past that as well. LAC is also a Railgun arc, not an Index arc so that isn't going to be in there anyway.

Specifically, every episode but the first episode of Index II happens after the Liberal Arts City arc.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll be waiting for Index 3...just like I'll wait for TWGOK 4, Maou-sama 2, Maoyu 2, and Spice and Wolf 3...don't think any of those are going to happen, but I'll wait.

And, someone saying "not yet" doesn't make me think "it'll eventually happen".
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
It should be noted that Miki mentioned it, and got on his hands and knees to apologize to fans that's been waiting for almost 5 years at this point. Article deserving enough.

Yeah, I think it's definitely article worthy. While obviously not conclusive or definitive (heck I guess he could be trolling), I think it's notable he's not even just saying "not yet" he's also seemingly apologizing that it hasn't happened already.

TheMorry wrote:
If S3 is being made then im sure that Railgun 3 will come soon after that.

Here's hoping, I'd love for more.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Well, I'll be waiting for Index 3...just like I'll wait for TWGOK 4, Maou-sama 2, Maoyu 2, and Spice and Wolf 3...don't think any of those are going to happen, but I'll wait.

Index is quite a bit bigger than any of those though.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
Toma's catchphrase is quite befitting as a response to this news.

This is possibly 1 of my catchphrases of any anime I have ever seen.
Hatsushi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
You're a little off. It isn't that they lacked source material and covered for it with anime original content. They just chose to do anime original content over adapting more.

They kinda did lack source material for the first season beacause Sister arc was just beginning back then. They knew they wouldn't be able to fit it in the 10 episodes they had left so they decided to make some original stuff. It was similar with Railgun S - they had enough source material but they wouldn't fit the third manga arc after Sisters arc so they made Silent Party arc and everyone was happy.

SilverTalon01 wrote:

Most of the filler episodes or arcs in anime nowadays are "created by the autors of the original work" but they still often lack in quality. That said I consider Railgun fillers to be one of the best filler episodes ever created. Lacking in comparison to the original but still good.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Hatsushi wrote:
They kinda did lack source material for the first season beacause Sister arc was just beginning back then. They knew they wouldn't be able to fit it in the 10 episodes they had left so they decided to make some original stuff. It was similar with Railgun S - they had enough source material but they wouldn't fit the third manga arc after Sisters arc so they made Silent Party arc and everyone was happy.

For the first season you're right that the next arc wasn't over. They did have a bit more of the manga, but leaving it hanging would be silly so I guess they did lack source material for that season. Though as you said, it wouldn't fit anyway. They did have LAC at that point, but putting it before the sisters arc would have fudged with the timeline.

For Railgun S they did have material to adapt. They could have easily done LAC which they actually brought up during the sisters arc part of S instead of the anime original arc if they wanted. LAC also takes place before the next railgun manga arc so it would fit quite nicely in there. However, the anime original arcs in railgun are actually important because they wrap things up where the manga just leaves it hanging.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Index is quite a bit bigger than any of those though.

And, yet, I can still group them together. Laughing

Well, it looks like I may just have to pick up the novels, in order to see what season 3 could be about. Though, I think Yen could still be a way off from that?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Well, it looks like I may just have to pick up the novels, in order to see what season 3 could be about. Though, I think Yen could still be a way off from that?

Uh, well you need volume 14. If they do the SS novels that take place in there as well and they stick to releasing 4 novels a year, you could get volume 14 in August 2018. If they don't do the SS novels, February 2018.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Cool, cool. Not expecting Index 3 anytime soon, so...Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4