• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Doesn't Netflix Simulcast?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millhi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly Kuromokuro also had English subs on the weekly simulcast on netflix Japan for one or another reason.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The several month delay does it for groups now, even though back in the VHS days fansub groups would consider mere (often months or years, even decades later) licensing of a show to be reason enough to stop circulating tapes and pull fansubs from distribution.

I just want to point out that much of the light novel fan-translation community still operates in this way: when a series gets licensed, the entire thing gets pulled from the major fan-translation sites, even volumes that the publisher probably won't release for years (for example, when the A Certain Magical Index light novel series got licensed, the first 22 volumes were pulled down even before Yen Press released the first volume).
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
In the UK they release plenty of shows weekly, just after the US airing so I'm not sure why they refuse to do the same with anime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
While I can understand Netflix's business model and how it operates for them. I can definitely do without the condescension towards fans who are not fond of the way that Netflix handles their operation.

Anime simulcasting has become the go-to format for the medium in the West since around 2010/2011 (mostly around the time Crunchyroll became a legitimate site, rather than a fansub site), so calling fans who believe that's how a show like Fate/Apocrypha should be handled "entitled" is quite demeaning when it is the standard format that all of the other services have latched onto

Just because other people are doing it doesn't mean "everyone" is going to do it though. And some people unfortunately are spoiled when it comes to certain things.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I actually broke my own no fansub rule for Fate/Aporcrypha, I will binge watch on Netflix in November, but I love the Nasuverse and found I don't have the self control to wait five months, I'm going to pick it up when it gets licensed, hoping Funimation gets it for distribution, Aniplex USA is SO expensive!

Last edited by mglittlerobin on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
The several month delay does it for groups now, even though back in the VHS days fansub groups would consider mere (often months or years, even decades later) licensing of a show to be reason enough to stop circulating tapes and pull fansubs from distribution.

I just want to point out that much of the light novel fan-translation community still operates in this way: when a series gets licensed, the entire thing gets pulled from the major fan-translation sites, even volumes that the publisher probably won't release for years (for example, when the A Certain Magical Index light novel series got licensed, the first 22 volumes were pulled down even before Yen Press released the first volume).

Do remember, however, that just because they're pulled from "major fan-translation site" does not mean that the translations stop. You just gotta search.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
All this would be a moot point if Japanese Studios allowed:

a) Crunchyroll or other simulcast outlets to simulcast a series as its airing.

b) Once the series airs, Netflix gets the exclusive dub rights.

I mean as everyone can acknowledge, both audiences are not the same.

So doing it this way allows everyone to win.

But yeah, I get the whole exclusivity incentment. But let's be honest, this just means more people will go towards other streaming options.

It would be nice if streaming services offered a more a la carte model where instead of subscribing, people could only pay to watch one entire season. Like a rental period basically.

But yeah, I get that they make more money by forced annual subscribers. And even then, rental prices would probably be higher and leads people to wonder why they don't save money and just subscribe. But there are some of us out there looking for the blockbuster rental model for the few thigns we actually care about.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Netflix also requires that the show be both subtitled and dubbed in multiple languages
Really? I've seen a ton of Anime on there without the dub.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
Netflix also requires that the show be both subtitled and dubbed in multiple languages
Really? I've seen a ton of Anime on there without the dub.

They require it for "Netflix Originals."
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I like to binge watch anything serialized so I guess I'm in the small minority of anime watchers here.

But I'm curious and have some questions for yall:
- how do you keep track of all the show details, remembering it week per week for 3 months if you're watching 20+ shows per week?

- for serialized shows, which are the majority of anime, does the suspense not kill you?

- if you watch 20+ other things in the mean time, does that not diminish the freshness of the other shows, their suspense, the impact of the story or the climactic build-up?
skerllyfc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I understand everyone´s problems wiht Netflix getting anime, but I´m gonna say something about how they handle anime. This is not meant to defend them entirely.

1- Netflix DOESN´T pick up more than two shows a season. Heck, most of the anime seasons since they picked up Sidonia, they chose 1 show per season.

2- Of course they´re as interested in broadcasting anime series as Crunchyroll, Daisuki and Funimation. But it´s more than clear that if they´re choosing so few shows each season, they´re selecting the ones with more mainstream and casual appeal. Or at least those where they storytelling is made with worldwide audience in mind.

3- I´d say they´re not interested in competing with the mayor anime streaming sites as much as you think. They have lots of original shows already. Maybe not as much animated shows as live action ones, but still. And when they release their anime shows, at least it comes with dubs for 10+ countries, which ensures foreign audiences that they won´t be reading subs if they don´t want to(regardless of how you feel about the dubs).

4- Even if we don´t like that an anticipated anime is region locked until 3 months after its release, this helps them to stay in contact with anime studios, producers and directors to ensure they show to the world that Japan can do as much good animation as other countries, as they have Polygon Pictures to make a project for them each season, Masaaki Yuasa is bringing his A-game to them with Devilman, and even if you don´t want it, I´m sure that either Darling in the Franxxx or Promare is gonna be picked up by them after LWA. Maybe one of their projects(more likely the movies) get recognized by the Oscars?

Take this text as you wish. And I would worry more about Amazon, ´cause if it wasn´t for the double paywall and other issues, more people would be watching Welcome to The Ballroom right now.
Haysey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather Netflix just didn't bother with new anime if they're just going to sit on them for months for the binge watching crowd. It pushes fans to illegal subs, drives down their own numbers and is just so out of sync with the rest of streaming sites with their anime.

I stopped using it years ago (the UK used to have an awful anime selection, made worse by shows just disappearing randomly...mainly when i was halfway through them!) And if they're not going to take it seriously then just sod off. I'll probably skip LWA and Godzilla, but given the list of shows i have to catch up on Crunchyroll and Amazon i won't lose sleep over it.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I can see why people are upset - I mean, why ONLY binge? At the same time though, I doubt it damages the show's reputation much: The Seven Deadly Sins is doing pretty well, for example, and simply getting the deal is a huge bonus from Netflix for those shows.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Now comes the big question: Are they trying to target Fate/Apocrypha to a general audience? Have they gone that mad? Fate fans will tear through reinforced steel walls if necessary in order to watch their weekly dose of Servant infused madness, so they won't think twice before torrenting, streaming, or even contract international satellite TV in order to watch the next episode. On the other hand, I don't see that many normies watching Fate/Apocrypha, and even if some showed interest, they'd be clueless as to what's happening a lot of the time, since the series references the other shows...

Considering Netflix also has both of the ufotable TV series, they at least think there is crossover appeal, and familiarity with the previous material isn't necessarily a problem (if they watch them in the wrong order it could be a problem), though I would have to see Apocrypha to so if it is accessible to newcomers to the series (which I am not).

While I would prefer they simulcast their acquisitions, I've made my peace with their model and I will join those that remind us that most of Netflix's anime viewership and really most more casual fans don't follow what is airing right now. Of all the people I know in person (friends, family, coworkers) that watch any substantial amount of anime, I'm the only one that follows the current season of anime. Most of those who I know watch anime do so through Netflix. Those of us who follow currently airing shows are not the majority, and I don't know that Netflix's strategy doesn't work for most of their customers.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
My question is not "Why doesn't Netflix simulcast?" It's "Why DOES Netflix simulcast in SOME countries but not others?" Contrary to their American marketing team, Netflix is *not* opposed to simulcasting--they simulcast anime in Japan for sure, and I've heard that they simulcast or semi-simulcast American live action shows in some European markets. It's so frustrating to me that they are willing to simulcast some titles in some countries, but not what I want to watch in *my* country.

And I know that sounds entitled, maybe even snotty. I think it's a fair question for paying customers to have. I personally hate the binge-till-your-eyes-bleed model. It ruins anticipation, hampers discussion, makes avoiding spoilers harder, and, on a very personal and practical level, can wreak hell on a schedule. It creates this awful choice for fans for whom an essential part of the enjoyment of entertainment--and part of the motivation to watch it to begin with--are active intellectual and analytical discussions of a show. Should I watch it all now to be a part of the discussion, spread it out and avoid all discussion until I'm done to avoid spoilers, or wait till I have the chance to watch it all in a day or two so when I start perusing discussions, I don't have to be worried about being spoiled? I usually pick the third option, and have basically stopped using Netflix because the pressure to watch it all at once or none at all is too great (I'm glad I have access through a family member). As someone with general time management issues but a love for analysis, it's just too hard. And I know that that's a personal issue, but I suspect I'm not the only one who has it.

Netflix justification for this policy doesn't make much sense--they claim that their data, which remains proprietary, show that viewers only watch one show at a time until it's done. Well, yeah, if they are bingeing multiple seasons worth of episodes. They have insisted on not making exceptions for America despite criticism not only from fans but from TV critics and even show writers and producers who understand the value of building anticipation for a show throughout a season.

Look at My Witch Academia. It came out about 2 weeks ago. The review went up today. As a all-in-one review, it will soon be off the main page, and the ongoing discussion will be muted until season 2 comes out. That takes away so much of my motivation to binge a 13 episode show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7