• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Place Further Than the Universe

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

The confrontation between Megumi and Mari didn't bother me, I was expecting it. It wouldn't make sense if nothing ever came about from Megumi's obviously growing jealousy considering what we learn about her character.This episode built more on it, but up to this point there were little hints that not all was well. Things like how Megumi would react to something Mari did or how often Mari sent pics to Megumi. The whole thing showed how Mari can be a motivator for people, good or bad.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I almost didn't watch ep 1 of this show when it came out, and now it's the only show that I look forward to watching every week (and I'm at least a week behind on every other anime that I'm theoretically following this season). I did NOT expect that when I was looking at the season's upcoming previews.

I'm really happy that they put in the character tension between Megumi and Mari, I think it gave the characters some welcome texture. All the girls are still ridiculously pleasant, of course, and it wouldn't be the same show if they weren't, but they made a wise choice (IMHO) at a wise time to throw out some drama and conflict.

Not only was it a welcome bit of characterization at an important turning point for the show's narrative, but it subtly builds expectation that, despite how easily the girls managed to get hitched to the expedition and despite how generally nice they are to each other, there is the possibility for real emotional stakes and character growth in this story.

Given the genuinely dark probability that Shirase's mother is dead, and the prep work the show did last week portending tension between Shirase and the expedition captain (and the possibility that the captain knows more than she's letting on about her mother's fate), I'm really looking forward to seeing if the show delivers on those subtle expectations later in the season and delivers some real satisfying emotional hits.

For a show that, on paper, looked to be totally skip-worthy, APFttU is easily my top pick so far for the season.
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Given the nature of the show being about growing up, I think having Mari and Megumi both be stronger and better people at the end is pretty much a given. The relationship in the future will no longer be based on psychological dependence but one of equals who can stand on their own two feet.

Definitely enjoying the so show far, but I don't know what real answers can be expected for Shirase to find that she couldn't find out while in Japan. I mean, do we really expect her to find her mother's frozen body in the wasteland of Antarctica? Or that, surprise!, she's totally not dead and was just hiding from her daughter for some reason?

I don't think she'll find anything more than catharsis and being able to finally move on. Then again that's not a bad thing at all. I'm anticipating some serious future feels.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Definitely enjoying the so show far, but I don't know what real answers can be expected for Shirase to find that she couldn't find out while in Japan. I mean, do we really expect her to find her mother's frozen body in the wasteland of Antarctica? Or that, surprise!, she's totally not dead and was just hiding from her daughter for some reason?
My hope is that Shirase finds a connection to her mother in Antarctica, maybe a connection with the decisions and emotions that guided her mother to such a far away place, and probably a connection with the people who were with her in her final days. I consider it (personally) a foregone conclusion that her mother is gone, and that furthermore the expedition captain and the other women organizing it know a lot more about her mother's final fate than the audience has been allowed to hear. Probably Shirase knows these things too, or at least has heard some of it even if she refused to believe it.

So it's less about finding WHAT happened to her mother, which is more or less going to be a bit of a bummer. It's more about finding out just what kind of a person her mother was, finding a connection with her through retracing her steps in one of the most forbidding and unknown places on the planet. After all, what kind of person actually does something that crazy, leaves the safety of society and family to poke around in a place so hostile that almost nothing has been able to live there for millions of years?

A person like Shirase and her mother, I guess. Whatever the actual revelations end up being, I'm really looking forward to the journey.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:44 am Reply with quote
@ Blood- Ah, I see what you mean. I can somewhat understand your stance on this, although I personally thought it would be weird if this show didn’t have things that Episode 5 had when I first heard of its’ existence, but eh. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

@ meiam - Saying that it didn’t bring anything to the show and that it detracted something from it is simply not true. It looks like what’s interesting to you is completely different from everyone else that’s watching this show when episode 5 actually did a good job of executing one of the show’s’ themes and the drama certainly wasn’t put together willy nilly because it was indeed properly built up. (Megumi appeared in the show past Episode 1 and before Episode 5). What happened in episode 5 was best for the show’s overall quality and your personal “complaints” come off as more upset that the show is succeeding at doing something well/right that you don’t like for some reason, which I find mind-boggling. The rest of your comment I’m not going to bother with as I don’t feel the want to partake in any guessing. Onward to the next episode next week.

EDIT: Fixed Episode Number.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
MJKS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm happy Megumi's feelings boiled over, as expected.

On the other hand, I really was surprised to see them take off for Antarctica this early. I wonder if we'll get an interlude next episode in Singapore and Fremantle.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
While it made for a funny vignette, I was appalled at the idea that the girls weren't given a list of what to take. It's not about "adult responsibility," it's about survival in a hostile place for people who've never been there before and don't know what's awaiting them. When I did a field study trip to Kenya in college, we got a list of what to take, and that wasn't anywhere near as perilous as going to Antarctica.

Anyway, though it's not at the top of my list to watch each week (since I just now got caught up with the last 3 episodes), I'm still enjoying it, and it's giving me some nostalgic vibes as well. Smile

Btw, what was Todo doing out there at their campsite anyway? If Mari hadn't gotten up and noticed her, it didn't seem like she was there to get them up for the sunrise. It's like she just hiked out there in the middle of the night to stand on a rock for awhile, and then...? Hike back? Shepherd them back to base (which is counter to their exercise)?

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
@ Blood- Ah, I see what you mean. I can somewhat understand your stance on this, although I personally thought it would be weird if this show didn’t have things that Episode 5 had when I first heard of its’ existence, but eh. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

@ meiam - Saying that it didn’t bring anything to the show and that it detracted something from it is simply not true. It looks like what’s interesting to you is completely different from everyone else that’s watching this show when episode 5 actually did a good job of executing one of the show’s’ themes and the drama certainly wasn’t put together willy nilly because it was indeed properly built up. (Megumi appeared in the show past Episode 1 and before Episode 5). What happened in episode 5 was best for the show’s overall quality and your personal “complaints” come off as more upset that the show is succeeding at doing something well/right that you don’t like for some reason, which I find mind-boggling. The rest of your comment I’m not going to bother with as I don’t feel the want to partake in any guessing. Onward to the next episode next week.

Said in the same post as one responding to someone else who also didn't enjoy the ep 5 drama. Ksuhuhu. Laughing

And it's not complicated, time spent on drama = time spent on things that are not drama.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
Regarding the drama in Episode 5, it was bound to happen eventually. There were subtle hints sprinkled throughout the show since Episode 2 or 3 that Megumi was growing discontent with Mari going on her venture to Antarctica with her new group of friends and that she was feeling left out. It wasn't just drama; it was a cathartic moment for Megumi to express her true feelings about her friendship with Mari and provided a stepping stone for their character development. Besides, it wouldn't make sense thematically not to include it. Thank goodness it was handled very well as I did find it perhaps a tad over-the-top.

MJKS wrote:
On the other hand, I really was surprised to see them take off for Antarctica this early. I wonder if we'll get an interlude next episode in Singapore and Fremantle.

With the drama distracting people's attention, I'm very happy to see someone talk about the significance of the after-credits scenes. Anyone who has travelled in their lifetime will know that travelling never goes 100% smooth and involves plenty of stops to reach their destination, so I wouldn't be surprised if the next episode focuses on Singapore and Australia. Although the show appears to be hitting the right notes so far, I can't afford to be too optimistic as I have my own share of concerns as well due to personal experience with shows having strong first halves and weak second halves. One comes to mind: How will the show handle the pacing of the girls' journey to Antarctica from Japan and their stay in Antarctica (if they actually get there)? I hope it's neither too rushed or too slow, and finds a reasonable balance if possible.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
So it's less about finding WHAT happened to her mother, which is more or less going to be a bit of a bummer. It's more about finding out just what kind of a person her mother was, finding a connection with her through retracing her steps in one of the most forbidding and unknown places on the planet.

Perhaps Shirase will discover a keepsake of some kind that was overlooked during the expedition her mother was on. I'm pretty sure that the mother has died as well. Whether the writers subject us to an episode where Shirase finds her mom's frozen corpse depends on how light-hearted this story continues to be.

I hope they complete the whole journey to Antarctica in one episode, or at most two. With a wrap-up episode back in Japan at the end, that gives them five or six episodes on Antarctica itself.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Said in the same post as one responding to someone else who also didn't enjoy the ep 5 drama. Ksuhuhu. Laughing

And it's not complicated, time spent on drama = time spent on things that are not drama.

Blood- didn’t say it wasn’t interesting, but rather that he preferred that it didn’t happen at that particular moment. You both didn’t enjoy it, but it wasn’t exactly for the same reasons. I understood the stance Blood- had on it. Yours simply doesn’t make sense (in context of what the show is working towards), as someone who posted after you already explained why the drama made sense between the characters. I know that that isn’t complicated, but the way your framing it is that it’s a bad thing, and it frankly isn’t. I don’t want to turn this into a mess, so I’m going to move on from this. You should too.
nechronius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
While it made for a funny vignette, I was appalled at the idea that the girls weren't given a list of what to take. It's not about "adult responsibility," it's about survival in a hostile place for people who've never been there before and don't know what's awaiting them. When I did a field study trip to Kenya in college, we got a list of what to take, and that wasn't anywhere near as perilous as going to Antarctica.

Btw, what was the Todo doing out there at their campsite anyway? If Mari hadn't gotten up and noticed her, it didn't seem like she was there to get them up for the sunrise. It's like she just hiked out there in the middle of the night to stand on a rock for awhile, and then...? Hike back? Shepherd them back to base (which is counter to their exercise)?

I'm guessing they were told generally what they needed to know during the classes. As for what gear to bring, I suspect that actual survival type gear will be provided for them as needed, and they're not expected to actually supply their own (Probably not being asked to supply their own crampons). I can kind of see that being necessary on a field trip though, where everyone is expected to lug their own share of equipment. Or maybe they left that part out of the storytelling for convenience?

That "Todo at the campsite" thing struck me as a bit odd too. She's there one moment, then poof, gone the next so the girls can have their scene together. She may have been close by at that point, or maybe whatever seconds of exposition we would have had to explain it all were left on the cutting room floor.
Dardre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I thought it was quite clear that this was about personal items, not equipment. Thus the weight limit.
MJKS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
Silent_Ninja wrote:
I hope it's neither too rushed or too slow, and finds a reasonable balance if possible.

Judging by the decisions the show has made so far, I'm confident it will happen sooner rather than later.

Judging by official promo art, that won't be too soon to spend some time down under at... umi-da~.

steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
MJKS wrote:
Judging by official promo art, that won't be too soon to spend some time down under at... umi-da~.
<picture>
Oh yeah. That's from episode 11, where Mari and Shirase get stranded on an Antarctic shore, suffer from hypothermia, and succumb to delusions and paradoxical undressing (http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/paradoxical_undressing/).

The most depressing fanservice since, well, actually probably about a tithe of new anime every season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13