• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Today's Menu for the Emiya Family

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I didn't give episode 7 a full 5 stars is because Archer and Lancer should have been showin' more skin, dammit! ALL the skin! Embarassed I did however appreciate moar Rin, and man did Rider look hot.

This show continues to be a nice little oasis at the beginning of the month for me. Just wonderful.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
XerBlade wrote:
Man, the latest episode's scenario was straight out of Fate/hollow ataraxia.
All it really still needed was for Gil to show up to break up the volleyball match after it got too rowdy instead of it just fading to black without actually explaining how that situation was brought to a close.

[For those not steeped enough in esoteric Fate lore to know already, Gilgamesh is actually the owner of that indoor swimming pool resort, by the way.]

HARDLY!!!

it felt more like the fate/avalon route than coming straight out of fate/hollow ataraxia! there was no way gil was going to show up considering he's even more disliked than shinji or his creepy ass grandfather! it would have been more intriguing if it was kotomine that showed up instead or even irisviel. and speaking of which.......

Okay, first of all, I said for Gil to show up, not Gilgamesh, which really would be straight out of FHA (seriously, this is an actual event that actually happened in FHA; I wasn't exactly being metaphorical with the "straight out of" phrasing). Gil is the official in-universe nickname for the youth-potion-ified version of Gilgamesh who hasn't gained any of his adult self's darker tendencies yet (and note Fate/kaleid liner's version of Gil literally took Gil's character and mashed adult Gilgamesh's personality into him).

That said, are you joking? Gilgamesh is so popular they made him a main protagonist in the Extra/Extella spinoff multiverse. The fandom loves him.

Also, considering how thoroughly FHA this is clearly intentionally going, Kirei is the least likely character to ever show up, considering canonically Kirei alone can't exist during FHA due to some typical Nasu mumbo jumbo about possibilities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rin is weirdly tsundere about having said that she wasn't hungry earlier, but whatever.
People feeling initially too tired to eat, going with something lightweight as a result and ultimately stimulating their appetite/prepping their stomach for something more is natural, though. That's really not a tsundere thing, just not wanting to eat a massive steak after a long day.
TomsonPRD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Altria and (strangely) Ilya

Oh no, oh no, please, someone tell me this is just a typo or something. I can't actually believe other people outside the wicked Aniplex circle think that Altria is actually a faithful name for genderbent King Arthur. Artoria (deriving from the latin Artorius, as Nasu specifically said!), Arturia or Arthuria are the only possible alternatives; but Altria?!
No, no that's just dumb, as stupid official translations sometimes can be. As we can all see with Ilya replacing Illya, but that's a minor matter.
But really, I'm still in disbelief for that Altria. Shocked
S0crates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:57 am Reply with quote
"He was totally going for his face" -_-
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
This episode was great. I enjoyed Rin being around more, and Archer trying to murder Shirou one serve/spike at a time had me rolling. I was also happy to see more Lancer since he and Archer are my favorites.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:

That said, are you joking? Gilgamesh is so popular they made him a main protagonist in the Extra/Extella spinoff multiverse. The fandom loves him.

Also, considering how thoroughly FHA this is clearly intentionally going, Kirei is the least likely character to ever show up, considering canonically Kirei alone can't exist during FHA due to some typical Nasu mumbo jumbo about possibilities.

that much i know. but from where i am coming from, it kinda depends on what fan are you coming from. if your a fan of fate/zero , hollow ataraxia , fate/extella and the fate/avalon route, the yes i agree with you. though the unlimited blade works version of gilgamesh is the one i'm talking about.

also considering that this is nasu were talking about, i could see kotomine show up right alongside him since he is just as popular in the fate universe as gilgamesh. especially when it comes to the fate/zero and heaven's feel versions of him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:44 am Reply with quote
So I'm more or less convinced now that this is basically the Fate/Hollow Ataraxia anime adaptation I never thought we'd get. I am really enjoying this show a lot more than I originally thought I would, and especially these last two episodes have knocked it out of the park, with episode 6 threatening to make me tear up and episode 7 being the most pure fun this show has had yet.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I won't say no to any content highlighting Fate/stay night's indisputable best heroine

Dems fighting words Gabriella Very Happy

Quote:
Some are more characteristic of Zero, and others of Stay night – either way, this show still looks great, and fate's environmental design is strong enough to get feeling nostalgic over ancillary bits of mise-en-scene. It's like hey, I remember that room! That's where Gilgamesh used to stand around looking pissed, and later on Kirei stabbed your dad in there. Ah, memories. Anyway, I can see why Rin doesn't really want to use the office. I wonder if they got all the blood out of the carpet?

I am so glad someone else thought about that, but seriously who cleaned Tokiomi's blood off the floor? It definitely wasn't Goldi-locks, maybe the mages association has a special cleanup crew and they pay em gems.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Seriously though, it was really nice to see Rin and Sakura bonding as sisters. That content tends to be sorely missing from Fate's canonical works, so my desire for it has built up strongly throughout this series.

not quite. it actually occurred in the heaven's feel route and in hollow ataraxia where they somewhat was able to bond as sisters. sure its NOT ON THIS LEVEL, but it was there nevertheless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Gab did the release of episode 10 just remind you that you're reviewing this series
I'm not judging you I forgot episode 9 existed myself.

But episode 10 had that good Lancer-with-flowers moment so it needs to be reviewed as soon as possible.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
But episode 10 had that good Lancer-with-flowers moment so it needs to be reviewed as soon as possible.

I did not think I was still capable of having old school fangirl freak out moments until that part of the episode happened, but I definitely made some noises and pounded on my chair a bit. Lancer so smooth and charming.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Gab did the release of episode 10 just remind you that you're reviewing this series
I'm not judging you I forgot episode 9 existed myself.

Nope, this was actually my bad. I missed the email about it, and when a show airs only once a month, it's easy to forget about if you miss the memo. Anime smile + sweatdrop
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
smh naming hollow ataraxia yet dissing the track team
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
You haven't reached true Nasu enlightenment until your interest in a character is inversely proportional to that character's primary story focus.

Also, Kirei appearing would make no sense in the timeline.
And yes, I know what I just said, and what series this is. Even Nasu's random nonsense that ends with an "it was all a dream" copout (a device Nasu loves so much that he had already lampshaded it before the first real time he actually used it) has rules it needs to follow. And "there is no world in which Kirei survives beyond the 5th Grail War no matter how much additional nonsense takes place afterward where everyone is alive and somehow friends now and Shirou gives Caster cooking lessons and Saber just accepts this, even if it's all a dream" is the most immutable of all of the rules of the Nasuverse. ..And the fact that I didn't just make that up should pretty much tell anyone that, for Nasu, every day is April Fools Day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4