• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Giant Robo, Kimagure Orange Road, Galaxy Express 999, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Giant Robo is obviously the biggest of the announcements, that anime is a classic and the Blu-Ray video is absolutely gorgeous. And with Shin Mazinger already part of their catalog and Tetsujin 28 (2004) on its way, Discotek is the place for your Yasuhiro Imagawa fix. (Well, also Right Stuf is putting out G Gundam.)

I'd have liked if Discotek licensed/dubbed the Goemon movie or a Blu-Ray of Episode 0: First Contact (which I would have double dipped for) instead of a random Lupin III TV special like Eternal Mermaid. But I'll consider picking it up. I'd like to support the new dubbing efforts (outside of Part IV, I'm getting the JP only version of that because the dub only uses the Italian music).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd have liked if Discotek licensed/dubbed the Goemon movie or a Blu-Ray of Episode 0: First Contact (which I would have double dipped for) instead of a random Lupin III TV special like Eternal Mermaid. But I'll consider picking it up. I'd like to support the new dubbing efforts (outside of Part IV, I'm getting the JP only version of that because the dub only uses the Italian music).

They licensed a Lupin feature with Blood in the title, it just happened to be the wrong one. Razz

Seriously though, I like Eternal Mermaid, but I think we've waited long enough for Bloodspray. And the fact that Part IV subbed is being released so long after the dubbed ticks me off too.

Other than Lupin III stuff, I'm pretty excited for KoR and GE999.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Juspion was highly popular in my country in the 80's.To this day is still remembered fondly alongside other Metal Heroes that were aired there like Jiraiya,Metalder,Spielvan.
Hell,the dub is being legally streamed on youtube.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope Giant Robo is region free!

Mewzard wrote:
Finally, a properly subbed Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo release! Such a long wait for that...

Now why would you want to watch that?
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Kimagure. Orange. Road.

TV AND OVAs AND movie.

Hi-Def.

Discotek, I am NOT worthy!

...Um, not so fast. Blu, yes, native HD? The article doesn't say. It could be an upconvert, or even SD on Blu disc, which is an economical way to release an old show.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I still remember seeing Bobobo for the first time and thinking, "Ha, this is the kind of thing we'll never get in America!" - Next thing I know it's on Toonami, outlasting Gundam Seed.

Great to finally see Giant Robo, which it seemed like we'd be getting sooner or later.

I do wonder what's going on with not getting the Goemon Lupin movie yet, but I figure it's just a matter of time as well.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Kimagure. Orange. Road.

TV AND OVAs AND movie.

Hi-Def.

...Um, not so fast. Blu, yes, native HD? The article doesn't say. It could be an upconvert, or even SD on Blu disc, which is an economical way to release an old show.

It’s full HD. The new transfer was done in Japan for Netflix last year. It’s gorgeous.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Geezus!

Why don't I just sell Discotek my blood?!?

I don't think there's a single bad series on that list!

Glad to hear KOR finally got license-rescued. Sad to say the value of my DVD sets just dropped to zero! Laughing

But yeah, definitely gets for KOR, Boboboboboobobbo (can never get the name straight!), Area 88 (the 3 OVA's have NEVER been released uncut on 5-inch format in the US; ADV released a theatrical cut of the OVAs along with the Area 88 TV series over 10 years ago), and maybe the Hells Angels movie.

This is an incredibly good list of anime here! How many companies manage this very much anymore?
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I hope Giant Robo is region free!

Now why would you want to watch that?

...Because Bobobo is amazing? One of my favorite Jump series.

Also, fun fact, his Japanese voice actor went on to voice Dio in Jojo.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, Discotek is licensing all of my childhood, even freaking Juspion. I'm not replacing my Brazillian DVDs with their SD-BD, though, because it won't include the Portuguese language dub I'm emotionally attached to.

LegitPancake wrote:
Can anyone explain what this means? Was the Japanese Galaxy Express 999 remaster bad or something?

Yes, it was a pretty bad upscale, just like the ones Saint Seiya, Slam Dunk and Sailor Moon got. They overfiltered the picture in order to make it look smoother in HD, which did away with a lot of fine detail and made the colors and outlines look smeared. A straight, unfiltered upscale of the DVD masters would have looked better than that.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Kimagure. Orange. Road.

TV AND OVAs AND movie.

Hi-Def.

It’s full HD. The new transfer was done in Japan for Netflix last year. It’s gorgeous.

I saw some incredibly detailed KOR clips in a youtube video recently and was wondering if the series had been released on Blu-ray in Japan, but found no evidence on amazon. Now I understand, thanks for your explanation. Can't wait for Discotek's release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
...Because Bobobo is amazing? One of my favorite Jump series.

Also, fun fact, his Japanese voice actor went on to voice Dio in Jojo.

And his English voice actor went on to voicing older Joseph in JoJo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Voltes V has got me super excited! I heard about it at an unrelated panel on mecha anime and this one came up and caught my attention and now I'll be able to get it easily!

Giant Robo is also huge for me! I have the DVDs, but this clearly deserves a bluray and to just look so damn gorgeous!

And I'm curious about Kimagure Orange Road too, since it has such a reputation. I think I'll want to try a few eps on Crunchyroll or Youtube first or something though.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote

About half of the announcements were SD-on-BD, and they were careful to clarify when those were the case (“you can watch nine straight hours of Samurai Pizza Cats without changing the disc!”), so if it only says BD, that does actually indicate it’s a regular high-definition Blu-Ray.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
This may be an unpopular question among diehard boy Ray and DVD collectors but are there any streaming platforms I can watch these and other discotek licenses on? I'm not really made of no at plus I don't want to put money towards older shows that may or may not be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6