• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why You Should Watch Bloom Into You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:

Ah... it's somewhat confusing to have people state that the asexual element isn't even there, while other people seeing commonality with Yuu and ace experiences.

Of course, Yuu isn't meant to be asexual or aromantic. The story is very much about her accepting attraction and blooming into a romance. I've been following the series for a bit secondhand, since it piqued my interest but I was nervous over how it would handle these elements. People made it seem like Maki was the author's way of including an actual aroace character, so I was somewhat hopeful. Now it just feels like, thematically, there's an inherent wrongness with lack of attraction; Maki becomes a voyeur, Touko has issues with her past, and Yuu desperately wants to feel love. The column says as much, I suppose--that their lack of attraction isn't innate, just a committed delusion--but I'd hoped that wasn't the case.

So going a bit more spoiler territory with Yuu experience, spoiler[she essentially has long monologue where she muse about love and such but when a guy does confess to her she find it unimpressive and doesn't understand why she's not in love with him. Then Touko does fall in love with her and again Yuu is not immediately in love with her, which I guess you could read as her being asexual if you really want to. But that's pretty much all there is, there's certainly no exploration of what it means exactly or how this would shape event. Considering Yuu is still a teenager and a gran total of two person fell in love with her it's not like she has much experience, so diagnosing her as asexual on such thin evidence if quite a stretch.]

For Maki, he's definitely a voyeur (although in the emotional sense rather than physical), spoiler[there's one segment where he says that he's disappointed when the "actor" (people in love he follow) try to interact with the "audience" (him). But that's it, he's not really in the show that much and mostly is just there as a crutch for the author to push event in certain direction or get character to talk about a certain topic].
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
lossthief wrote:
I feel pretty comfortable saying that any social dynamic, regardless of what culture it comes from, that insists gay people are "just going through a phase" and thus their sexuality isn't real, is indeed some homophobic BS (your words, not Steve's just for the record).

Also to bring this back around, your own comment seems to imply that Japan as a monolithic culture is inherently homophobic so, y'know, glass houses and all that.

The problem is that Class S and "homosexuality is just a phase" are two different things. I know very well that Steve is a very big yuri fan and a politically active person, but this can hardly justify calling another's cultural phenomenon "bullshit" only because Japanese culture "has the audacity to" not fit the American political agenda.

Yep, Class S elements are very often used in modern Japanese media to create qeerbaiting or fanservice to bypass the open image of lesbian relationships (CGDCT shows are especially frequent victims of this), but only an ignorant person will think that this is the whole point of genre.

I would have said nothing if it was simply the result of the innocent difference between American and Japanese cultures (especially, the difference in permissible intimacy or the idealization of friendly relationship), but I can't ignore when it becomes the cause for open attacks and homophobic accusations of any authors who "don't allow their definitely gay characters to come out of the closet".

I've often hated the idea of using yuri subtext in a lot of those CGDCT type shows.
Manga Time Kiara is often notorious for this kind of thing
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I've often hated the idea of using yuri subtext in a lot of these CGDCT type shows.Manga Time Kiara is often notorious for this kind of thing
Meh without it we would have like no yuri so you take what you can get. But the yuri definitely seems like it's becoming more obvious lately.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I've often hated the idea of using yuri subtext in a lot of those CGDCT type shows.
Manga Time Kiara is often notorious for this kind of thing

On the other hand, "Manga Time Kirara" is basically the favorite anime genre of one queer woman I know. Small sample size, but still.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
On the other hand, "Manga Time Kirara" is basically the favorite anime genre of one queer woman I know. Small sample size, but still.
Your friend has good tastes
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Heishi wrote:
I've often hated the idea of using yuri subtext in a lot of these CGDCT type shows.Manga Time Kiara is often notorious for this kind of thing
Meh without it we would have like no yuri so you take what you can get. But the yuri definitely seems like it's becoming more obvious lately.

This is due to the fact that because of the "2-3 MTK's show in each season system", even the youngest or the most generic titles get adapted. It is enough to compare the originality and development of New Game and GochiUsa and some Slow Start.

Shay Guy wrote:

There is nothing strange in the fact that any works or genres with a noticeable yuri bait are popular with qeer women. For example, Madoka is the most favorite anime of my bisexual female co-worker.

Not to mention the huge popularity of Bushiroad among the American lesbian community, lol. It seems that it reaches such a level that many qeer girls take such works as qeer media very seriously and are very protective when someone does not care about shiping or even simply indicates that franchises like Love Live are primarily focused on males otaku.

In particular, I once met on MAL one girl who claimed that “Love Live belongs to qeer women, because this is a show about qeer women,” therefore, “perverse heterosexual fanboys” have no right to even talk about this franchise. However, fortunately it was only once.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Random Name wrote:
Heishi wrote:

This is due to the fact that because of the "2-3 MTK's show in each season system", even the youngest or the most generic titles get adapted. It is enough to compare the originality and development of New Game and GochiUsa and some Slow Start.
Sorry I don't understand your point.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:18 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Sorry I don't understand your point.

I want to say that since MTK began to get 2-3 adaptations in each season, they had to adapt even the most clichéd and full of fanservice works. I don’t want to say whether this is bad or good, but in this way you can get anime like Slow Start or Comic Girls, which are full of yuri bait and other fanservice, but at the same time they don’t say anything new or original in the genre.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
About Class S, I have an ambivalent worldview: There was a time for it, lesbian and bisexual girls in Japan would read these stories and know what they were about, and the rest would have a different interpetation. That time is up, and even in Japan they are aware of that, because LGBT is now a politicaly addressed topic.

As for Bloom Into You, it's being one of the best, if of the best anime of the season. It is wonderful.

Yes, given the time and feminist views of most of the authors, Class S played a partial role of lesbian representation in Japanese literature of that time, not to mention that its creator, Nobuhiko Yoshiya, was an open lesbian.

But at some point she decided to change the "ideology" of the genre and its gradually turned from a half-romantic into a kind of idealization of female friendship and "innocent femininity" in general.

Roughly speaking, Maria-sama Mitteru and Oniisama E represent its original form in the example of a "platonic romance" and questionable sexuality, while Hibike and Amanchu can be attributed to the idealization of friendship and modern attitude.

Which reminds me that I still need to finish Oniisama E and actually start watching Maria-sama. Thank You! Smile Also, I couldn't remember her name.

So, I'm actually one of those people who get frustrated when anime/manga tiptoe around the subject of same-sex romance, and love it when the subject is brought forth more directly. Apart from a couple of yuri titles, I can only think of a couple other titles, like say Cardcaptor Sakura, and how there's an adult lesbian couple in Magical Girl Raising Project.

Times are changing, and acknowledged same-sex couples and LGBT characters in general are becoming more and more visible in Japan... But I think it will take time before the Class S inheritance fades to black.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Which reminds me that I still need to finish Oniisama E and actually start watching Maria-sama. Thank You! Smile Also, I couldn't remember her name.

So, I'm actually one of those people who get frustrated when anime/manga tiptoe around the subject of same-sex romance, and love it when the subject is brought forth more directly. Apart from a couple of yuri titles, I can only think of a couple other titles, like say Cardcaptor Sakura, and how there's an adult lesbian couple in Magical Girl Raising Project.

Times are changing, and acknowledged same-sex couples and LGBT characters in general are becoming more and more visible in Japan... But I think it will take time before the Class S inheritance fades to black.

It's not about any "inheritance", just Class S's stuff is a very convenient way to add ship-bait to the story in the absence of any real or open romance. This can be compared with the widespread use of bromance in modern Western TV shows.

And ironically, Maria-sama is responsible for many elements of this, such as comparing friendly intimacy with lovers or pairing girls for various reasons (idol-duo, sport partners, etc) . A typical example of this is the current Release of the Spyce with its ship-bait pairs and the constant comparison of the girl's “friendship” with a playful quarrel between a married couple or lover's jealousy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3