• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
7 Awesome Anime Moms Who Are Miraculously Still Alive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Gonbawa wrote:
Great moms in :

- Hikaru no Go

If you're talking about Hikaru or Akira's mother I have to tentatively disagree. They both seemed to have a very passive involvement in their son's lives most of the time, with Hikaru's mom being completely baffled about her son's actions and Akira's mom always deferring to her husband's judgement and treating her son more like an independent adult. Personally I don't have a high opinion of either of them.

I consider Balsa from Moribito to be a great mother figure, even if it was just for a short amount of time.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
...Special shout-out to Yamano Akane from Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures. She was a 38-year old career woman, very successful in her field, and (apparently) happily single. In the final episode, the teenage protagonists spoiler[re-write history to make her one of their mothers, in lieu of the villainess]. She takes it all in stride, however. spoiler[Having both sets of memories probably helps.]
Wow, wow, wow!!! A person after my own heart, Dual! is special to me so great someone else remembers... She and Dr. Sanada were fun (hee, hee, hee). Hey Lauren, if you want a good role model how about the recent Mamako Oosuki (Do you Love Your Mom...)? She's bad-ass and an apple-pie sweetie who really wants her son to succeed...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun May 10, 2020 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I personally found Kagome's mom hilarious in how chill she was about Kagome always skipping school to jump in a well to go to the super dangerous Sengoku jidai. Rather than making the protagonist an orphan to avoid the the story being inconvenienced by worrying parents, just make the mom comedically irresponsible.

I wouldn't call her irresponsible. She just knows she raised her kids right and trusts them. Granted, she kinda takes "free range parenting" to the extreme, but the sentiment's the same. Smile And she still makes bentos for her and provides snacks and a first aid kit for all her friends, and even fixed up a bike so she'd have transportation!

She's always there to lend an ear, not pry, and give great advice and comfort. Just because she trusts her daughter's good sense and wits (as well as InuYasha's protection and integrity), it doesn't mean she's irresponsible.

I also want to second the shout-out to Touko Fujiwara. She's just the momest of moms! A little like Kagome's mom, in her trust in Natsume despite his seemingly giving her many reasons not to. (and keep Shigeru Fujiwara in mind for Father's Day!)
Rene&Mae

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
From past animes, Kagome's mother from InuYasha, and Yuri's mother from Kyo Kara Maoh are my favorites, although Touko Fujiwara is certainly the sweetest surrogate mother figure, to her husband's orphaned, distant relative, Takashi Natsume. As for a current AND old anime, Detective Conan has lots of mothers to compare and choose from.

Shinichi Kudo's mother Yukiko Kudo is quite a character, flamboyant, fun-loving, a former actress who left show business to raise her son. Too bad she and her husband Yuusaku decided it would be awesome to travel to America to live, and they left their thirteen-year-old son Shinichi to raise himself and finish school in Japan all alone. But by the time Shinichi was sixteen, he was such an accomplished detective that he tried to take on a case that was much too much for him to handle, and he ended up on the wrong end of an experimental poison administered by a couple of Syndicate killers that ended up de-aging him instead of killing him. By that point, Shinichi had been on his own for so long, it never even occurred to him to call his parents in America, to let them know what had happened to him, or to ask them for help.

Yukiko is probably the only mother in a series, anime or otherwise, that I've ever come across, at least, who spoiler[ disguised herself as her son's alias' mother, kidnapped him, chloroformed him, and tied him up in an abandoned house, all to teach him a lesson for not contacting her and his father about his "condition".] That's the strangest way to show motherly concern that I've ever seen!

Shinichi's would-be girlfriend, Ran Mouri, has an extremely intelligent and successful lawyer for a mother, Eri Kisaki, who loves her daughter very much. But, she separated from her rather unaccomplished husband almost a decade before the start of the series, more from his insulting her cooking one too many times than from anything else, and the couple has only grown further apart with time. Strangely enough, that would mean she left her six-year-old daughter behind to live with her good-for-nothing husband, so Eri could go pursue her career. Ran is still devoted to her though, and her father, and keeps trying to get her parents back together.

The person with the most well-adjusted family life, with both parents at home, would be Osakan teen detective Heiji Hattori. His mother, Shizuka Hattori, dresses in traditional Japanese kimonos and yukatas, has a loving relationship with her husband, Heizo Hattori, the Osakan Chief of Police, and her son. In fact, she once became so concerned with the way her son Heiji got into so many dangerous scrapes, or landed in the hospital often when he got involved in mystery cases with Kogoro Mouri (and Shinichi Kudo/Conan Edogawa), that she spoiler[ came to the Tokyo area to hire Mouri under a false name, to gauge his skills as a detective. She wanted to determine whether or not Mouri was purposely sending her son off into reckless and dangerous situations, but she ended up becoming one of the suspects in a murder case, as Conan was kept busy trying to work around the sharp woman, and not get into trouble.] Heiji can be a little disrespectful of his mother when he gets embarrassed by her sticking her nose in his business, but otherwise, he seems to have a good relationship with her.

I can't say for certain, but I think Detective Conan might just be the anime with the most living mothers in a single series. Even if they are not main characters, they do make appearances from time to time, and have had their influences on their children. There are also characters with dead mothers, and the loss of their parents colors those characters' personalities. There are more minor characters who's mothers made an influence on the series, and one side character's mother who is in such an unusual situation, nothing much can be discussed about her without giving too much away.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I consider Balsa from Moribito to be a great mother figure, even if it was just for a short amount of time.

...oh wow, I'm kicking myself for forgetting about Balsa. She single-handedly turned Chagum from a mewling, helpless princeling to a confident, strong-willed young man, all while protecting him from both familial and supernatural threats. Mom of the year material for sure. Very Happy
Hakase

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ummmm, Anime News Network? Have you forgotten that hot mom from a recent RPG anime? I think she's easily one of the best moms in the anime history, if not THE best.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I think KEY stories have the best moms/aunts. Basically every one of them was amazing

Minase Akiko, definitely. Furukawa Sanae, absolutely. Okazaki Nagisa... debatable for this list.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Yukiko Kudo and Eri Kisaki, the mothers of Shinichi/Conan and Ran from Detective Conan. And Mamako Oosuki from Do You Love Your Mom?.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Mon May 11, 2020 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I know one who's missing from the list: Katou Ririka from Bodacious Space Pirates.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:17 am Reply with quote
Gonbawa wrote:
Great moms in :
- Hare + Guu

Are you sure about that? Weda is constantly getting plastered, openly assaults her son, and it seems like Hare is caring for her more than the other way around...
Dumas1

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Oh, I know one who's missing from the list: Katou Ririka from Bodacious Space Pirates.

Following in the space pirate vein, Mitsukuni Mito from Space Pirate Mito. As long as don't think too much about the fact that she looks like a grade schooler inside that power armor, she's willing to tear whole fleets apart to protect her son.

Mana the red dragon from Dragon Half. She's not quite as strong as her daughter, and has to put up with a lot of crap from her husband, but she's easily the least idiotic parent in that series.

If we're talking non-biological parents, I'd go with Kobayashi from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. She sorta adopts Kanna and Ilulu and doesn't do too badly at it despite their being dragons.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
I’m happy to see Sachiko Fujinuma on the list. My favorite anime mom ever.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

An interesting and much less conventional pick, to be sure; not every mother shows her daughter how to use a blaster rifle to give her a sense of what "power" means. She's cool as a person with her own identity, but her mothering mostly involves just staying out of her daughter's way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
She's cool as a person with her own identity, but her mothering mostly involves just staying out of her daughter's way.

At present, anyway. Presumably she was more actively involved when Marika was younger. And it's kind of implied that she put considerable effort into protecting Marika, what with her being the heir of a rare pirate ship. In any case, you can't argue with the results: Marika is a good student, hard worker, has a good sense of right and wrong, and is very capable in her role as captain. I know that especially in anime many characters succeed in spite of their parents rather than because of them, but it really does feel more like "because of" in this case.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:17 am Reply with quote
Love the list, and want to echo support for Balsa from Moribito, Kagome’s mom from Inuyasha and Hana in Wolf Children.

Surprised no one has mentioned the moms in the Dragon Ball franchise. Bulma gets to be a cool mom in two timelines (...though she only survives in one of them). Chi Chi gets a lot of flack for being a nag, but Gohan seems happy as a professor so her technique worked! And Android 18 is a badass, and gets to stay one even after having a kid (sorry, Videl).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5