• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Writer Teases Similarities, Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burning_scrub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:01 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Between Miss Marvel having changed from her black costume years ago in addition to the fact Brie Larson herself wasn’t a big fan of the costume herself they were never going to use the costume in the Live Action series anyway even Avengers EMH didn’t use the black costume. With Faye’s outfit it’s an outfit that’s not only not really practical for the simple fact it makes Faye look like a prostitute but in a live action setting having her wear it all the time doesn’t come off as practical.

So her outfit isn't practical in live action because it isn't practical? Huh?

It's shorts and a small top. Add a couple more buttons to the shirt and it's perfectly wearable. Just googling for Faye Valentine cosplay shows that it's pretty easy to adjust exactly how revealing the outfit is without some big redesign.

Quote:
Oh? So why were people not too high on Castlevania, Saint Seiya, the 7 Seeds adaptation, B the Beginning and some of the other stuff they produced.

I can't speak for the rest of these, but Castlevania? Really? It has great reviews on Rotten Tomatos and Castlevania fans seemed to love it. What gave you the impression that it's disliked?
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
burning_scrub wrote:
Just googling for Faye Valentine cosplay shows that it's pretty easy to adjust exactly how revealing the outfit is without some big redesign.

You Google Faye Valentine cosplay and tell me how often you see real women wearing anything of the sort in real life outside of street corners or clown shows.

As others have said, what works and can come across well in anime doesn't necessarily transition equally as well into live-action, and IMO this is certainly an example. And it's not as if Bebop is a show where characters are meant to stand out in terms of their unusual dressware; that's exactly the opposite of what Bebop was aiming for.

They can certainly attempt to do Faye justice and attempt to maintain the essence of her character with more conventional real life clothing choices, while maintaining her sexual overtness as a cover for her loneliness and fragililty. It's not like Hollywoo or Netflix shows have had any problem sexualizing their female leads for generations now, so relax. I highly doubt anyone's ever caught you bitching that live-action Wolverine is no longer depicted as a 5'3" little dude clad in yellow spandex, eh?

I personally have little hope of this adaptation being worth anything meaningful whatsoever, but this is such a stupid hill to be fighting over.
burning_scrub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
burning_scrub wrote:
Just googling for Faye Valentine cosplay shows that it's pretty easy to adjust exactly how revealing the outfit is without some big redesign.

You Google Faye Valentine cosplay and tell me how often you see real women wearing anything of the sort in real life outside of street corners or clown shows.

As others have said, what works and can come across well in anime doesn't necessarily transition equally as well into live-action, and IMO this is certainly an example. And it's not as if Bebop is a show where characters are meant to stand out in terms of their unusual dressware; that's exactly the opposite of what Bebop was aiming for.

They can certainly attempt to do Faye justice and attempt to maintain the essence of her character with more conventional real life clothing choices, while maintaining her sexual overtness as a cover for her loneliness and fragililty. It's not like Hollywoo or Netflix shows have had any problem sexualizing their female leads for generations now, so relax. I highly doubt anyone's ever caught you bitching that live-action Wolverine is no longer depicted as a 5'3" little dude clad in yellow spandex, eh?

I personally have little hope of this adaptation being worth anything meaningful whatsoever, but this is such a stupid hill to be fighting over.

1. At multiple points in the interview Grillo-Marxuach talks about how great it is that they're able to be weird, how they can take direct inspiration from the anime with the crazy outfits and weird hair. In fact he directly cites "giving them different hair and clothing" as an issue with adaptations like Dragonball Evolution, so going on about real life outfits is irrelevant. I don't see why the line for too much anime weirdness has to be drawn at some yellow short shorts.

2. I actually would like to see characters like wolverine take more queues from the comic books. Those black suits are pretty boring.

3. All I did was express some minor disappointment, so having you read into my intentions like that and telling me to relax as if I'm flipping out is over the top in my opinion.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 am Reply with quote
The original Bebop should be good enough. Netflix just wants to cash in without creating anything new, and very likely spoiling perfection, which American remakes have a long nasty habit of doing. I would prefer another season of The Expanse, if they have money to spend.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
I'm usually against sexual censorship

I don't really consider toning down Faye's costume for the live-action version as "censorship", per se. It's censorship if they do something with the original product (the anime) after it's already finished to tone it down (and even then, it depends on the context, like if it's done to make broadcasting standards). If this is a new adaptation, this is merely an adaptational change, not censorship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Complaining about costumes in a live action show is a moot point. This isn't a cartoon where characters wear the same clothes 90% of the time because it's impractical extra work for designers and animators.

Faye only needs to be sexy when necessary to certain story moments. Most of the time she'll be lounging around on the ship telling the guys to do things.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
The original Bebop should be good enough. Netflix just wants to cash in without creating anything new, and very likely spoiling perfection, which American remakes have a long nasty habit of doing. I would prefer another season of The Expanse, if they have money to spend.

The problem with the original Bebop is that it's animated, and a lot of Americans, no matter the reason, will refuse to watch animation on principal and refuse to accept it as a valid medium. That's why Hollywood remakes of anime and manga exist. The remakes are aimed at those people who will never watch the original Cowboy Bebop and is their attempt to cash in on a new audience. Comic book movies do the exact same thing: inappropriate casting choices, toning down sexy outfits, omitting more hardcore content. And in their defense, they're more or less right. Most people only know superheroes by their live-action movie counterparts because they refuse to read comic books or watch cartoons. This adaption is not aimed at anime fans and never was. Treat it like you would a comic book or cartoon live action adaption.
Bremin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I was looking over the season 1 episode list, and I don’t see Katrina or Asimov on the cast. My guess is that they are skipping the “Asteroid Blues” plot… at least for season 1.

The producers should really adapt the anime’s first episode story. It features Spike chasing down a lunatic who sells an illegal, physically-enhancing drug called Bloody Eye. They could have the live-action episode follow the anime’s story line to a certain point; having Spike pursue Asimov for the bounty, but with a twist: the audience is made to believe the whole time that Asimov’s girlfriend, Katrina, is indeed pregnant. After Asimov’s death, Katrina dies in some other way to how she died in the anime— with the audience still believing she was pregnant, only to reveal at the episode closing that she was merely carrying Asimov’s Bloody Eye supply and not his baby. A compelling, emotional episode could be made from this material, and it should be a season finale or at the least, a season’s penultimate episode.

I really hope that they don’t leave this story line out of the live-action show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3