• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:11 am Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:
Lol at all this about ignoring the theme, rating, setting, and character and watch/read with a wrong glasses. It's not an overly serious story(or rather not at all) about isekai to a not so modern world with a not so modern mindset, with teenage girl protagonist ffs.

But you can have all that and still have coherent worldbuilding, if the author's up to it. Average abilities v5 has a chapter that deals with economic competition between orphanage kids and street kids as a result of an economic-development project among the homeless, and it's still got jokes about a twelve-year-old's breasts if that's a thing you're needing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:04 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:
KyokoBestMeguca wrote:
"I could make this orphanage way better if I just made it more like a Victorian English workhouse" said nobody ever.

Kids doing basic farmwork isn't that big of a deal even in the real world.

Seriously. The way people are reacting, you'd think she was sending them off to work in a coal mine or crawling into textile machinery for pennies a day while Yuna reaps all the profit. Raising birds and selling their eggs is as much "child labor" as a kid mowing lawns or having a paper route.

I grew up on a farm and was doing at least that much at the age of most of those kids. It was just helping out, and I didn't feel like some sort of slave my parents were taking advantage of.

I do totally agree that the entire enterprise makes little sense presented as Yuna's brilliant and original idea. All I could figure to excuse it was that no one in the outlying areas would sell their birds to city folk, in order to maintain their livelihoods, and Yuna screwed that up with her connections to someone who owed her. I believe similar things have happened in our history, with people smuggling plants and animals to break monopolies.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
For the reviewer and others here that find the writing less than stellar, my only reply is "what did you expect from a show who's title is one word repeated four times?" At least it doesn't sound actively sh-tty...
Florete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
For the reviewer and others here that find the writing less than stellar, my only reply is "what did you expect from a show who's title is one word repeated four times?" At least it doesn't sound actively sh-tty...

What does it matter what anyone expected? If the writing is bad, the writing is bad regardless of what we expected it to be, and we can criticize it for that.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:51 am Reply with quote
Even if there was a real problem with Yuna providing a way for these kids to earn food for themselves, I think it's important to remember who Yuna is. She is a girl who became a millionaire by playing the stock market by the age of 15 who's parents basically abandoned her when she threw money at them. Does it not stand to reason that her history of being a child who earned her own living would skew her view of things?

I'm not saying the writing is perfect, but this really isn't a show deserving of being dumped on when it's essentially harmless.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Dear god folks, Childers still work at home today it’s called home work and every schools requires it! Yea that work folks taking tests learning stuff you may never use in life not one time! It’s called a system and everyone but the truly free are required to be in that system. So let me watch my light hearted fluff though honestly I wish it stuck closer to the light novels. This villagers had deaths while a child fled the village for help and the person who got eat to allow that child to flee is in the web novel. This could have had less fluff if it just followed the author so try reading it if your looking for more edge. Though even then the light novel is only slightly darker. But we’ll worth the read! The director has made this fluff and to me that is ok. After a long day mindless fluff can be ok!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
For a brief moment I thought we might get some clue as to how Yuna actually feels about her family when the girls asked about them, but nope.

I'll stick around until next week to see if this might offer an actual conflict in that arc, but if not, I think I'll be out. For mostly mindless happy fluff, I'll stick with My Life as a Young Slime Tamer in Another World. Smile His slimes are much more adorable than the bears and the little girls.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote
It's kinda funny Yuna says not to intervene in other people's relationships because in the novel that's exactly what she does. She notices that Gentz and Tiermina have feelings for eachother and she takes them aside after healing Tiermina and asks them to get married so that Gentz can help support the family.

As a side note, I'm inclined to believe that Yuna came from an abusive household. Yuna never really talks about it, but her self sufficient lifestyle had to come from somewhere. Also, I think threatening to evict someone from a house (they paid for with their own money) because you don't visit isn't something a good person would do. So as far as parents and grandparents go, not the best people from Yuna's family.

Yuna's constant doting on children is the biggest thing for me believing that. Yuna has had a hard life, but she overcame it and doesn't want to talk/dwell on it. She wants other children to be happy in the same way that she wasn't allowed to growing up. I think it's a lot easier to infer from the lightnovel however because the anime has glossed over a bit of the darker elements, such as that noble who was embezzling funds from the orphanage being a r**ist/kidnapper and was put to death after the scene we last saw him in the anime.

But if you still think her parents and grandparents would be very sad with her missing, then why not just have time be stopped while Yuna is having this adventure? When it's all over she wakes up like it was all a dream with no time having passed. Contrived sure, but if we are hellbent on believing the show is going the full happy route, why not have that too? It can't be poorly written and also have a random sad plot hole like that that couldn't easily be hand waved away by more sub par writing.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:29 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
..."what did you expect from a show who's title is one word repeated four times?" At least it doesn't sound actively sh-tty...

What does it matter what anyone expected? If the writing is bad, the writing is bad regardless of what we expected it to be, and we can criticize it for that.
I criticize bad writing all the time even when others claim it's great, so criticize away. I meant that the title alone seemed an indication that the show wouldn't have great writing, so there should be little surprise or discontent when expectations are met. If your expectations were different, complaints are understandable.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:36 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Florete wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
..."what did you expect from a show who's title is one word repeated four times?" At least it doesn't sound actively sh-tty...

I criticize bad writing all the time even when others claim it's great, so criticize away. I meant that the title alone seemed an indication that the show wouldn't have great writing, so there should be little surprise or discontent when expectations are met. If your expectations were different, complaints are understandable.

To be fair, the reviewer blew my mind with the title actually being kinda cool. Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear might look dumb in english, but in japanese it's くまクマ熊ベアー.
くま (Hiragana) クマ(Katakana) 熊 (Kanji) ベアー (English).

With that in mind it's title is actually kinda cool, referencing the fact that Yuna couldn't think of an adventurer class other than "bear" because it was on her mind so much no matter how she thought about it. So using it's title as some kind of measuring stick for quality is kinda ignorant (An ignorance I was totally a part of until the reviewer pointed that out).

Edit: Maybe くまクマ熊ベアー should be commended for it's title actually. It's a title of only four words instead of other stuff this season like キミと僕の最後の戦場、あるいは世界が始まる聖戦 (Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World) and it definitely has more thought put into it than that one.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow... episode 7 was kinda really bad. I wasn't expecting them to sand off so many edges like that. Until now I could kinda understand changes they made, but they cut so much even removing characters important in the story later. Events were out of order, like 4 separate conflicts were removed. 4kids changed less stuff in their series.

I could be totally off base because I reread this part of the story recently, would love to hear from anime only watchers if this episode was ok for them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
would love to hear from anime only watchers if this episode was ok for them.

For certain values of "ok" I guess. I sped up the playback after the first 2 minutes of the girls squeeing and yammering about bears being cute, so that helped make it tolerable. Other than that, nothing really happened except camping and cooking, with serial one-upmanship in between.

Quote:
Yuna is doing it for the cash ... Why doesn't Yuna want to open a restaurant? I mean, it's not like she has to cook personally. She could just teach some chefs some otherworld recipes, give them each a “bear convection stove” and let the money flow in.

I thought that too. But why does Yuna even need money? She can magic up most things she needs and she's got a steady and substantial income from killing everything in her path. She's bought all the land she's interested in. So what's she going to spend it on that she doesn't already have or can't readily get at the drop of a hat?
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:08 am Reply with quote
You know, I think the line between animal and monster is too thin in this anime isekai. They got meat from monster. And most resource is from adventurer. So chicken is treated like any other bird and their resource is as rare as a honey from natural bee. No one thinking of farming or breeding monster even if it's tame. Other resource like sugar or spice can be more easy to find and get than resource from monster or animal.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yuna is doing it for the cash ... Why doesn't Yuna want to open a restaurant? I mean, it's not like she has to cook personally. She could just teach some chefs some otherworld recipes, give them each a “bear convection stove” and let the money flow in.

Quote:
I thought that too. But why does Yuna even need money? She can magic up most things she needs and she's got a steady and substantial income from killing everything in her path. She's bought all the land she's interested in. So what's she going to spend it on that she doesn't already have or can't readily get at the drop of a hat?

Yuna was given effectively millions of dollars in this new worlds currency so money is never her goal. Her stock market trading and self made life has lead her to be someone uncomfortable with not doing fair business so that's why she still makes money.

The real thing to lead her to make a restaurant wouldn't be for money, but to make her life easier. If someone else makes the delicious food she likes, she doesn't need to make it. But that just asks the question of which is harder, teaching someone or making it yourself. I imagine that is the question that will decide whether or not Yuna goes through with making a restaurant.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:14 am Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
Wow... episode 7 was kinda really bad. I wasn't expecting them to sand off so many edges like that. Until now I could kinda understand changes they made, but they cut so much even removing characters important in the story later. Events were out of order, like 4 separate conflicts were removed. 4kids changed less stuff in their series.

I could be totally off base because I reread this part of the story recently, would love to hear from anime only watchers if this episode was ok for them.

It felt... normal. The worst I can say is that the nobles they met along the road feel like they should be a big deal but then become part of the background.
Ep 8 was more egregious with the whole traitor thing. It absolutely wasn't serious because bear magic and if it tried to be comedic they completely botched the delivery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5