• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Inuyasha Spinoff Anime Yashahime's Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
I hope they at least try to bring back the old cast for the first episode one. Inuyasha won't sound right without Richard, yet if they brought most back for Final Act, they might could for Yashahime.

After episode 4, I wonder if Willow Johnson has said anything on reprising Kikyo. Now I know some of the cast will be recasted due to age. Sota, Shippo (if he shows up), Kohaku to name a few. Kagome, I dunno if they'd recast her since she would be an adult during this and Rin as well since they'd need more adult voices. So some recasting might have to happen, but for the others (Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, Miroku, Kaede..ect) hopefully not.

Well...Kaede might...is her VA still kicking? I know she had two of them.

TFA's dub, unfortunately, means nothing when it comes to Yashahime. The recording studios are located in different countries.

Willow Johnson hasn't been in anything in years. She might've returned but we'll probably never know. Not that it matters, but Rin and Kohaku were actually voiced by child actors. Both (Brenna O'Brien and Aidan Drummond) are obviously not children anymore. They're still working in Vancouver, so there was a possibility they could've reprised their roles, should their adult voices have fit. Kaede's TFA voice actress is very much still kicking, so is her original, for that matter.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Im sure if Funi themselves were dubbing it they would have more than likely got the original actors back. They more than often do, but Viz clearly doesn't play that game.

Shakugan no Shana seasons 2 & up and Escaflowne's redub says otherwise, especially the latter given it's around the same amount of episodes as Yashahime (or much less had they went the simpler route rather than redubbing the entire thing in-house).

We got very lucky with FUNi sending Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail to Ocean but then that was 5 episodes, not over 25-50 like those two.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, not surprised Viz Media used an Los Angeles based cast over a Vancouver based one for Yashahime. If you think about it the last time Viz used Vancouver was for Inuyasha: The Final Act back in 2010/2012 so 8-10 years ago, and given that Vancouver is a Union area, I guess Viz and the other anime licensing companies in the LA area don't want to continue outsourcing some of their titles to Vancouver.

It's going to be interesting if whether they will bring back Richard Ian Cox, Kelly Sheridan, among others to reprise their old roles (Inuyasha, Sango, etc..) or if they would recast them with a new LA-based cast.

I know Jillian Michaels (Shippo) has relocated to Los Angeles 5-6 years ago but whether she would reprise her role as Shippo is up in the air, other than the Barbie Dreamtopia film I have yet to see her show up in any new VO work, let alone any anime dub work.

As for the cast I love the cast they chose for Towa Higurashi, Setsuna and Morha, although the funny thing is Kira Buckland was my headcanon pick for Towa Higurashi, now she is voicing Setsuna.

Any word on which studio is doing the dub of Yashahime? Because judging by the cast (especially Morgan Berry's involvement) it looks like this was recorded at Bang Zoom! Studios which has been Viz Media's biggest primary recording studio they are utilizing right now these past 4-5 years over Studiopolis, plus Morgan has yet to show up in ANY of the more recent Studiopolis dubs. Hopefully, someone will confirm the studio cause the voice actors are one key sign, but whoever is ADR voice directing and ADR scriptwriting for an anime series in LA, is the biggest key sign on which recording studio is doing a particular anime series.

Primus wrote:

David Kaye has expressed interest in returning as Sesshomaru, however, this dub isn't in the SAG database. That suggests it's nonunion. Since moving to LA, he's not been in a single anime dub. He's focused on narration, prelay animation and game work. It would be surprising if he'd return for a nonunion project. Assuming this won't be some unprecedented LA-Vancouver anime dub co-pro, I'd say the least unlikely reprisal would be Jillian Michaels as kid Shippo.

I doubt David Kaye will be in a non-union let alone a Union dub anime anytime soon, regardless if he does enjoy voicing Sesshomaru he's now more interested in doing narration, pre-lay animation, and video game work after moving to Los Angeles 13 years ago, in addition, I also think the payscale for Anime and being in a room by yourself while matching the lip flaps and not having enough freedom could be a reason why David doesn't do anime dubbing anymore.

The ONLY Vancouver based voice actors that I still see them do anime dubbing after moving to Los Angeles are Erin Fitzgerald and surprisingly enough Trevor Devall.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Honestly, not surprised Viz Media used an Los Angeles based cast over a Vancouver based one for Yashahime. If you think about it the last time Viz used Vancouver was for Inuyasha: The Final Act back in 2012/2013 so7-8 years ago

10 years ago

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-14/voice-actress-confirms-dub-for-inuyasha/the-final-act
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Funi is pretty good about reprisals but this is Viz, and based on Kira Buckland's tweet, Bang Zoom is dubbing this. BZ has a pretty terrible track record when it comes to bothering with reprisals. (Honestly, most of the outsourcing dubbing studios do. Funi's just able to do it because they work in-house.)

Not surprised as it has become Viz Media's biggest primary recording studio they are utilizing right now these past 4-5 years over Studiopolis and also Morgan Berry hasn't been in ANY Studiopolis dubs as far as I know of.

To be perfectly honest, I find Bang Zoom! to be more overrated than SDI Media given that they've been utilized a lot in the past 5-6 years, and in my honest opinion they just continue repeating the same talent pool of actors they've been utilizing in their dubs these days which is the reason why most anime licensing companies like Aniplex, Viz Media and Netflix tend to send their titles to that studio. And when compared to Studiopolis, VSI LA, NYAV Post, and SDI Media/Spliced Bread's Union dubs, their union dubs are just the "same old same old" talent pool of actors they utilize the last few years, but with 1-2 or 2-3 Union actors involved in it (e.g. Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, etc..) and those that rarely appear in Bang Zoom! dubs these days (e.g. Max Mittelman, Michelle Ruff, Cristina Vee, etc.).

Lastly, as you said Bang Zoom! has a terrible track record when it comes to bothering with reprisals, It also doesn't help that Sam Riegel and Liam O'Brien weren't asked to return nor reauditioned as Shirou Emiya and Archer for Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works and replaced by Bryce Papenbrook and Kaiji Tang respectively which compared to Cristina Vee's situation was a decision made by Aniplex, Bang Zoom! and Mami Okada themselves, but surprisingly enough they kept Mela Lee, Julie Ann Taylor, Tony Oliver and Stephanie Sheh from the original 2006 Fate/Stay Night series. Even Marc Diraison and Carrie Keranen weren't asked to reprise their original roles for the CG Berserk series despite the fact they currently live in Los Angeles right now.

I'm glad the Eureka Seven films weren't dubbed at Bang Zoom! cause they would've made a lot of recasting on some of the characters including Talho Yuki who is voiced by Kate Higgins who somehow hasn't appeared in ANY dubs for Bang Zoom! since 2008.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:01 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Also, did Morgan Berry officially move to LA? I'm never sure when a Texas VA has moved to LA or were just able to record for something while they were there for a week or something, but she's gotten a lot more LA roles as of late.

I also am asking the same question too cause Morgan Berry has been showing up in several Los Angeles-based anime dubs since 2017/2018 but surprisingly I still see her continue doing anime voiceover work in Dallas and even Houston. HOUSTON!!!

NJ_ wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Honestly, not surprised Viz Media used an Los Angeles based cast over a Vancouver based one for Yashahime. If you think about it the last time Viz used Vancouver was for Inuyasha: The Final Act back in 2012/2013 so7-8 years ago

10 years ago

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-14/voice-actress-confirms-dub-for-inuyasha/the-final-act

Even if they recorded Final Act 9-10 years ago it still premiered in 2012-2013.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
Like the choices, just concern for the Ocean VAs. Please, make it perfect!
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:51 am Reply with quote
It would have been nice to use Canadian based studio Ocean to do this.

I dunno, something about Ocean dubs feel unique.
I think it may have to do with the sound quality when it comes to their dubbing.
Whenever I watch DN, Black Lagoon, Gibran SEED, or Inuyasha I can’t help but notice the sound quality Ocean produces. I don’t know why but it gives me a feeling of nostalgia and it actually feels good watching their dubs that way. Weird.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely hoping that they'll be able to get actors to reprise roles, but I'm not counting on it. It's been many years since Final Act finished and between actors likely moving on and the companies involved possibly not seeing the necessity of tracking people down for (at this point) one episode, I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
This looks like a typical nonunion LA anime dub from Viz.

Ben Diskin says it's actually a union dub. David Kaye probably will return. The jury's out on anyone else since they're not in LA and are part of a different union.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Ben Diskin says it's actually a union dub. David Kaye probably will return. The jury's out on anyone else since they're not in LA and are part of a different union.

Well hot dog, this is quite the surprise given that other than the Naruto franchise (including Boruto) and Tiger & Bunny the majority of the Viz Media licensed anime series dubbed in Los Angeles have usually been non-union. Come to think of it, this is the first Viz Media anime series recorded at Bang Zoom! to be a Union dub and not done at Studiopolis.

Honestly, I doubt David Kaye will return to voice Sesshomaru in Yashahime or will EVER be in a Union dub anime anytime soon. Even if he does enjoy voicing Sesshomaru David is more interested in doing narration, pre-lay animation, and video game VO work after moving to Los Angeles 13 years ago, in addition, I also think the payscale for Anime dubbing and being in a room by yourself while matching the lip flaps and not having enough freedom could be a reason why David Kaye doesn't do anime dubbing anymore.

The ONLY Vancouver based voice actors that I still see them do anime dubbing after moving to Los Angeles are Erin Fitzgerald and surprisingly enough Trevor Devall.

As to my thoughts on this being a Union dub and recorded at Bang Zoom! given their reputation on their Union dub productions these last 4-5 years, honestly, they're just going to keep using the "same old, same old" talent pool of voice actors they currently utilize the last few years, with 1-2 or 2-3 Union actors involved (e.g. Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, etc..) and those that rarely show up in the current Bang Zoom! dubs these days (e.g. Max Mittelman, Michelle Ruff, Cristina Vee, Robbie Daymond, etc.) which goes to shows how very selective Bang Zoom! is on their union dub productions (e.g. NinoKuni, Fate series), when compared to Studiopolis, VSI LA, NYAV Post, and SDI Media/Spliced Bread's Union dubs who go all out on picking several different actors for their Union dubs.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Primus wrote:
This looks like a typical nonunion LA anime dub from Viz.

Sesshomaru seems to appear the most in a supporting role, so that might actually make sense.

Hopefully they're able to get everyone else back.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Honestly, I doubt David Kaye will return to voice Sesshomaru in Yashahime or will EVER be in a Union dub anime anytime soon. Even if he does enjoy voicing Sesshomaru David is more interested in doing narration, pre-lay animation, and video game VO work after moving to Los Angeles 13 years ago...

There's this at least.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Honestly, I doubt David Kaye will return to voice Sesshomaru in Yashahime or will EVER be in a Union dub anime anytime soon. Even if he does enjoy voicing Sesshomaru David is more interested in doing narration, pre-lay animation, and video game VO work after moving to Los Angeles 13 years ago...

There's this at least.

Then again, even with David Kaye expressing interest on possibly returning to voice Sesshomaru, it will come down to the production team at Bang Zoom! if they know David Kaye and the Vancouver based voice actors for Inuyasha, Sango, Shippo and ask them to return or just use different voice actors for them instead, and like I said, David hasn't done ANY new anime dubs after moving to LA as he has been mostly doing the narration, pre-lay cartoons, and video games right now, and IF he does return as Sesshomaru I doubt he would continue appearing in more Union anime dub productions when compared to the likes of Crispin Freeman, Kari Wahlgren and Steve Blum who still continue to appear in several different Union anime dubs.

Plus, given Bang Zoom!'s reputation on their Union dub productions these last 4-5 years, as I said before they're just going to keep using the same talent pool of voice actors they currently utilize in their dubs (non-union and union) the last few years, with 1-2 or 2-3 Union actors involved (e.g. Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, etc..) and those that rarely show up in the current Bang Zoom! dubs these days (e.g. Max Mittelman, Michelle Ruff, Cristina Vee, Robbie Daymond, etc.) which goes to shows how very selective Bang Zoom! is on the voice actors they utilize in their union dub productions (e.g. NinoKuni, Fate series) when compared to the union dubs done at Studiopolis, VSI Los Angeles, NYAV Post and SDI Media/Spliced Bread Productions.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Why on earth is Funimation doing this? If any company on this continent deserves to do this show,it's Viz with Ocean Studios. Now,I'm not saying Funimation is a bad studio or their actors are bad,but why are they doing "Yashahime?" They didn't dub the original "Inuyasha" anime,so why are they doing this one? Can somebody tell me why? I'd really like an answer to this question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4