• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To Your Eternity (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote
Fushi's confrontations with the Enemy definitely carry significance in the story: it gives Fushi purpose. Omni didn't just create Fushi because He's bored; he has a master plan for Fushi to save humanity from the Enemy. And to do that, Fushi has to learn about humanity first and understand what makes them human.

Fushi and the Enemy are actually no different from each other physiologically. The only fundamental difference is how they respond to stimulus after coming in contact with them. If Fushi were to behave like the Enemy, he can just kill any living thing he sees and assume its form. But he doesn't, and that's where the two will not coexist.

At face value, it's tempting to say that Fushi might become more disadvantageous the more he learns to be human. Assuming that the Enemy is perfectly rational―as in, it will only live to serve its own self-interest and destroy humanity―then Fushi must learn how being human will triumph eventually.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
I guess you guys find Fushi's own story more interesting than I do. I certainly didn't feel like the story was missing anything before the introduction of Planty McCopyface. It didn't occur to me that Fushi needed to have a reason for his immortality, or that he needed to be in any danger, or even that he needed external motivation, as all 3 stories have worked just fine without it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
Naturally, there is no right or wrong in this question. You don't find the Omni and Enemy stuff additive (quite the opposite) whereas I do. It's just a matter of opinion. I'm glad there is something larger going on other than just a succession of loveable kids who are going to die. I don't think we have the full Omni-Enemy story yet and I'm interested where it's going.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:23 pm Reply with quote
10:

Whoa whoa, wait a sec--

Gugu's a fuggin' DRAGON!
Fire solves EVERYTHING!
Gugu got JACKED IN FOUR YEARS!

I need to sit down.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that fire is Nokkers' weakness (whew, glad the Enemy finally has a name!). Nokkers are apparently plant-based which, if you think about it, seems destined. Think about it. Fushi is pro-human i.e. fighting for humanity. Nokkers are anti-human: they're plotting for humanity's destruction. Humans versus plants. It's almost becoming a classic "humans versus nature" environmentalist story. So of course Nokkers hate humans: we've been destroying them and Mother Nature since we first got here on Earth.

Fushi decides to stay put with Gugu. Sure, it's the only thing to expect from Fushi as he continues to develop more human qualities such as attachment, kinship and reciprocity. But the Omnipotent has a valid point: Fushi can't get stronger by staying put. He has to wander and learn new skills, especially when the Nokkers are regrouping, learning and eventually becoming stronger (read: evolving). Eventually Fushi has to evolve to stand a chance against them, and at a faster rate. This is basically evolution in a nutshell: whoever is stronger will survive. What can Fushi learn at a brewery that will make himself stronger? At least if he wanders, he can learn new survival skills and take new forms of other beings (**once they die).

Following the four-year leap... Fushi can age? Really!? Okay let me be more specific: Fushi's human form ages (in appearance). That means that Fushi's forms are organic, not purely cosmetic: he really embodies them and experiences atrophy. Not sure if that means Fushi will grow weaker over time. That also means we can see "March" again as a grown-up (so that's what the OP is telling us? That we're looking at Fushi in March's form later in the show?). And seriously, I have a hard time seeing how jacked Gugu is right now. Is he even *natty*? How old would he be now? Sixteen?

**You know where I'm going with this, right? Fushi will wander again. And do you know when he will wander? When Gugu dies (YES HE WILL DIE). Of course! Because that's when Fushi can take his form. The longer Fushi lives with them, the more he doesn't want to leave them so the only way he will wander is if he has no reason to stay anymore (read: death). The Omnipotent already ominously mentions how Gugu will make Fushi stronger... what do you think he meant by that. It's called foreshadowing. And when this time comes, Fushi will learn the hard way what the Omnipotent was trying to say.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was one conveniently placed flaming torch. I don't think I've seen as blatant a deus ex machina plot point in a long time. Also Rean didn't seem to age at all during that 4 year time leap. Anyway, yes, it is clear the happy little idyll is coming to an end. Sorry, Gugu, it was nice knowing ya. Hope you at least get to smooch Rean before you become part of Fushi.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote
Gugu got big.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
11:

I can't believe it: Gugu is now a JACKED-UP FIRE-BREATHING DRAGON!

I feel glad and concerned for Fushi now. I'm so happy that he's settled in a place he can finally call home, and perhaps these last four years have been the most enriching time in his life when it comes to learning about being human. The Omnipotent is blunt but He's right: humans do not seek stimuli every time. They find contentment in doing mundane things, and the most important things in life is security, not living in constant danger. He even gained so much empathy skills that he can tell what people feel, and can even communicate fully. He's essentially human now!

But because he's so contented in his current life, Fushi hasn't transformed at all and even aged as a result. He's gone soft. When he's the one living in constant danger, he can't afford to live a comfortable life and has to evolve to defeat the Nokkers. Now that he's become weak over time, and that he even has people to protect, his survival is in an even more jeopardy. This is what happens when he didn't take heed of the Omnipotent's foreshadowing advice. *I have a bad feeling about Fushi's confrontation with them.

I can see the parallel between this arc and the previous one. The running theme is about challenging "fate" (or the concept); whilst March chose to live and challenged the tradition of sacrifices, Gugu is probably going to challenge societal norms by accepting Rean. Gugu's story is basically a fairy tale, but even if it's a clichéd fairy tale, it's one of the most well-done ones I've seen. But most importantly, that conversation between Rean and Gugu at the end? That's one of the most amazing scenes I've ever seen in recent times. Like, WOW. The dialogue between them is astounding. I loved every second of it...

...which is why I'm pissed that the Nokkers ruined a perfectly feel-good scene like that. F**k you twigs. I was feeling so happy for the two kids, but you had to rain on their parade. You just had to, goddammit!

*this is what I suspect will happen next:
spoiler[Gugu and Fushi will fight the Nokkers, but even with Gugu's upgrade, they're going to be on the losing end. Especially when Fushi has grown weak over the years. Gugu will die(!) as a hero. Gugu's brother will come to save the day, redeem himself, and reconcile with Gugu. Fushi will be crushed, and he will relearn about his fate and how he must continue to wander. But before he leaves, he will assume Gugu's form (and gain his fire-breathing ability!?) and take away another life lesson, whatever that may be.]

Get ready for another heartbreak, people.

Last edited by ACxS on Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the Gugu and Rean parts were fantastic, very sweet. And then you have old man lamenting about likely having to die first and not see Gugu's future, which is just pumping out death flags. Maybe Gugu not have to die for Fushi to take his form *shrugs*?

A part I especially liked was when Fushi pretty much said that he has the same conversations about her with Gugu to Reana. She did not get to give him her ridiculous crayfish mask.

I also was thinking about how if there are thoughts about Gugu's current appearance, he has that dragon thing going on, but he also makes me think of something like an Egyptian god, the sort of thing that could be an object of worship in an ancient culture.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 am Reply with quote
At first when I saw the balcony begin to crumble, I was like... are you kidding? After the convenient torch lying around plot point from last week, I was astounded the show was going to up the ante with an even more aggressive improbable event. But then we found out that that was part of a Nokker attack so it actually made sense. Whew. No need for a rant.

Poor Yttrbio must be so bummed out that we are dealing with the big Nokkers again! Wink
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:11 am Reply with quote
I most certainly am. I'm definitely still in the "are you kidding me" camp, in that I don't quite get why it has to be an attack that looks like a super-coincidence instead of, I don't know, a vine through the heart from behind or something.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
Because a cliffside balcony snapping off and falling into the water is cooler, yo'!
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Do you think our hearts can handle it if the Nokkers stabs Gugu in the heart right from the start?
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 pm Reply with quote
12:

Okay, so Fushi ages if he doesn't regenerate. Apparently just a cosmetic observation. No biggie.

To be honest, I wasn't rekted by Gugu's death. Not as much as I thought I would be. Maybe it's because I saw it coming. I got most of my predictions right, except that Gugu's brother didn't come to save the day which I don't particularly mind.

But what did rekt me was the ending, especially when Fushi turned into Gugu to meet Rean. The sheer significance of the scene got me in an unexpected way; by not wanting to break Rean's heart, Fushi changed into Gugu. Perhaps unconsciously, Fushi (or Gugu?) wanted to give her hope to continue living. A false hope, but hope nonetheless. That's what hit me in the feels. Rean believes that Fushi is forever in Gugu's heart as he leaves forever, when in truth it's the opposite: Gugu's the one forever in Fushi's heart. Let that sink in.

So as expected, Fushi learns that he has to keep moving to 1) defeat the Nokkers, and 2) prevent those around him from getting hurt. He learns human values: even if he knows he should've gone after the Nokker's core immediately, he chose to stay behind to wrap things up in the village and bid proper farewell. He learns perhaps the one thing that defines humanity: the fear and pain of death. And he learns about the consequences of his actions.

Keep moving, Fushi.

P.S. Although Fushi's mission is to save humanity and defeat the Nokkers, I think his personal mission is to gain complete agency of himself. In short, to think and live for himself, even if it means going against his creator, the Omipotent. It would make so much sense; it's meant to happen eventually.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:07 am Reply with quote
I probably would have started ugly crying if I did not stop myself this episode, losing Gugu was again incredibly sad just like with March.

In the scheme of things, I don't entirely buy good intentions from the god figure, I would have my suspicions that the Nokkers are just another creation of his and he purposefully pits them against each other for his own purposes.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
13:

It's so good to have this show back after a break.

Our boy Fushi finally learns about a bit of existentialism and gains agency. A bit childish for the latter, but that's exactly the point: children always try to test their limit to what they can/can't do, so Fushi wanting to just turn into an inanimate object and say "I quit" is the only natural response. Too bad, he still has a lot to lose, so just sitting out isn't exactly an option for him.

It's also interesting that the Omnipotent is exactly like the traditional sense of God in one specific aspect: He can't control free will. The one thing Fushi has that gives him agency over himself. It's a big philosophical issue on why free will―like altruism―is so special an idea, and Fushi's talk with Omnipotent is analogous to well, our own relationship with God. I'm not sure if Omnipotent deliberately made Fushi run into Pioran; to me it's just pure coincidence they bumped into each other. Because remember: free will. Fushi has it, but so does Pioran, and―probably Fushi hasn't realized―like how Omnipotent can't dictate Fushi's free will, Fushi can't do the same to *Pioran, either.

*It's funny how Pioran behaved just like March during her adventure with Fushi

Do you know the most poignant part of this episode? How Fushi is slowly forgetting March. Not why he forgets her―we knew how he lost her―but how his forgetting her is a stark example of how memory is vital for one's identity. Fushi is Fushi not just because of who/what he is, but because of the people he met. He is just like us; sure, we are defined by our thoughts ("I think, therefore I am"), but also the people around us. If we lose our memories and forget the people we know, are we even ourselves anymore? That's why people with amnesia forget themselves and those around them, and it's terrifying. Worse than that? Neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's (digressing just a little). Either, that's where Fushi realises that he can't sit around and just not fight the war with the Nokkers.

So hey, Fushi needs to learn how his body, which is a HUGE step in his evolution (previously: everything by instinct, now: doing something through conscious effort). Eventually, it's a Darwinian battle of evolution between Fushi and the Nokkers: whoever adapts better survives and wins.

Something tells me that the band of warriors know Fushi and sees him as an asset; they just don't know exactly what he is. I don't think they're slave wranglers, but I can't figure out their relationship with them just yet. All I know is, they definitely want a deal with Fushi. The next step to Fushi's development: persuasion and negotiation skills. Plus, even though Fushi/Pioran's plan to train at "Galapagos Island" went awry, getting stuck on "Alcatraz Island" might be a boon for Fushi. Getting into an arena, and fighting with bloodthirsty gladiators... this is Training Day for him.

Lastly... was anyone freaked out by that crab flower? Not a flower crab, but a crab flower? WTF is that??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6