• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That was... abrupt? That is quite a change in the strategic situation between the characters. More than halfway through, I was thinking, is this all a dream or something? I thought the spoiler[ magical girl] would be way more surprised, or it would be played more for humor.

That house was funny. And the very ending was pretty funny, I thought. Losing to spoiler[food] was pretty good.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I really didn't expect NTR from this anime.
So uh, things escalated quickly, didn't they? I didn't expect them to ACTUALLY battle, and even less did I expect a confession scene to end it. Or for the Maou to show up right after. That was a weird and sudden chain of events.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:37 am Reply with quote
I'll withhold most of my comments until after the review of episode 14 is posted but, since people are talking about the episode here already, I did have one observation about the music: spoiler[the piano melody playing when Jahy first sees [redacted] sounds very similar to the piano intro to Coldplay's "Clocks" only I think it's played one octave higher].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Wow. That was... abrupt? That is quite a change in the strategic situation between the characters. More than halfway through, I was thinking, is this all a dream or something? I thought the spoiler[ magical girl] would be way more surprised, or it would be played more for humor.

That house was funny. And the very ending was pretty funny, I thought. Losing to spoiler[food] was pretty good.

Yeah, I had problems with the adaptation of this part personally.
In the manga Jahy, while still saying the same stuff, is half doing it as an evil "join me and I'll give you half the world" sort of thing, but the way she phrases it (Hand over the gems and I'll take on that misfortune) gives the magical girl the wrong impression and works WAY too well. It's played much more for laughs as an abrupt turn of face in the manga, while it's more or less played straight in the anime.

Jingu's speech during their fight in the manga also gave more depth to her character, while in the anime if sounded very generic. The manga gave the impression that the suffering she had experienced finally had a reason behind it. She had been cursed with bad luck and had found her place taking on other people's misfortunes.

The second half was good though, and we finally had the best character appear in the demon lord freeter.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:36 am Reply with quote
The greatest character development in episode 16 was how Kyouko Jingu finally got a normal human friend at school. It's ironic that everyone thought that Kyouko was gloomy when she was fighting for justice (well, not that she's completely stopped doing that as the Magical Girl) but, now that Kyouko is taking care of a literal Demon Lord and is friends with the number two of said Demon Lord, her attitude has really brightened up.

Both Jahy washing dishes in the first part of episode 16 and Maou showing up at the restaurant at the end of episode 15 are original to the anime. One of the things I do like about this anime's adaptation of the source material is that it doesn't usually make major changes from the manga but it will sometimes add conclusions to some chapters that felt like they ended rather abruptly. Another major change with the menu item taste-testing segment was that Kyouko didn't appear in the manga version of that story either but, considering that Maou's eating most of her food and barely leaving any tiny morsels behind, Kyouko deserved a few nice meals just as much as Jahy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Did the reviewer miss the post-credits sequence again on ep 17?

I figured they would have made some comments since it featured Saurva...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Surely our local Saurva stan didn't miss a 4 minute segment all about her.

Funny that the staler part is apparently the one we have seen FAR less of so far Laughing
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Mercedez wrote:
Really, there's a lot of good stuff in this episode, and all of it feels like momentum as we go into the final five weeks with this series.

Two weeks, unfortunately. This series is 20 episodes. Sad

Unless MAL is wrong, but I don't think so considering the OP changed at episode 11, rather than 13 or 14.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd heard that The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! would be 20 episodes before it even started airing, quite likely even from this very website (if not here then it would have had to have been the Jahy-sama Reddit), although I wouldn't be too surprised if they do a manga bonus OVA with a couple of the skipped-over chapters.

Anyway, without spoiling anything, I felt like the story with Kokoro "avoiding" Jahy should probably have been saved for the next episode, where it would've fit in better (assuming they're going to adapt the next little mini arc from the manga in episode 19, and it's probably my favourite manga content to date, especially for people who are fans of spoiler[Saurva], so I hope they don't just skip to the chapters that were obviously written to be the anime finale) so that they wouldn't have had to carry over the conclusion of episode 18 into 19.

I disagree that the previous few episodes were a total slump since they had some of my favourite moments from the manga like the inspiration for the "Maou of the Bag, What is Your Wisdom" meme as well as the futon chapter.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Next episode is the finale, which I presume will be spoiler[the festival] from chapters 62-63 plus spoiler[the going-away party] from chapter 68 (which would be a really, really obvious point to end on). There's currently no more manga to adapt beyond a couple of skipped-over chapters where it wouldn't make sense inserting them out of sequence (since one of them takes place at the beach restaurant from episode 13).

Suu and Maou are very loosely based, respectively, on twin spirits Spenta Mainyu, the deity of light, justice, and life, (and an aspect of chief Zoroastrian god Ahura Mazda itself) and Angra Mainyu, the deity of darkness, deceit, and death. Not that Maou-sama herself seems to be all that sinister, she's just hungry and lazy, kinda like Garfield in a way, but that's why I specified "very loosely based".
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
In the manga, the festival happened between Jahy and Druj's encounter with the Being of Light and the battle between the giant-sized versions of Suu and Maou, but I'm glad the anime moved the festival to episode 20 since it meant we'd get segments with Kokoro and Saurva in the finale, considering that Saurva and Kokoro weren't at the party.

I hope in future manga chapters that we get more of Saurva as herself interacting with the main cast, as happened during the festival (and, to a lesser degree, the bathhouse episode), since I feel like Saurva's largely been isolated in her own substory where she's either in disguise, so nobody knows who she really is, or she's lurking in the background. Manager giving Saurva a nickname was huge progress for Saurva, who now is on a "first name" (well, "given name" since it doesn't come first in Japan) basis with Manager, although only one way since Manager's own name is unknown to the reader. Not that Saurva has a surname that we know of either. Kyouko Jingu is really the only character whose full name is known to the reader (well, not counting Druj's alter ego Nana Doujima).

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
We need more shows like Jahy and way less isekai shit-the world of anime would be way better because of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3