• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Region Lock Stock & Barrel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
I LOL'd about the OP spoilers. Schadenfraude. When I was getting into OP a few years back I avoided all forums, blogs, YT videos, fanfics, whatever, like the plague.
xD Seriously, avoid EVERYTHING or you'll spoil it.

Well, in that case, it was the friend spoiling it, which is much harder to avoid; you can really only avoid it by withholding the fact that you are catching up on the series (which can take a while). The friend was probably too excited to realize that they were explaining a major spoiler.

That, and spoiler-resistant people can be something of a pain to spoiler-sensitive people, as they forget that some people react differently. Depending on which sort of person they are, if I told someone about to watch Fight Club that spoiler[Tyler Durden and the unnamed protagonist are the same person], they may either freak out at that spoiler (if sensitive) or take it in stride and feel mildly amused by it (if resistant).

Take it from me--I am a spoiler-resistant person, and I have accidentally slipped spoilers past to spoiler-sensitive people before. In fact, I didn't learn about the concept of withholding plot details until I was 9 or 10 years old.

That being said, that second One Piece spoiler is definitely something to keep to yourself until you can be sure your addressee is already aware of it, since we spend about 100 chapters building up to that point, then it suddenly swings in a direction the series never took before.
Tank252ca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Quote:
Rise and shine, you midnight-show-going Harry Potter fans! I, personally, am going to wait to see it until the relative calm of Sunday. No obscenely long lines, no douche-y theater owners attempting to herd flanks of fans like nerdy sheep, and no musky teenage fan funk. As you get older, you learn to harness patience and restraint for these things sometimes.

My daughter and friends needed a chauffeur for the Harry Potter premier, so I got to experience waiting in line for several hours and watching the movie among crazed Potter fans. My daughter made personalized t-shirts with iron-on transfers, and many of the people at the front of the line were in costume. Quite a few were reading the last book while waiting in line. During the premier, the crowd jeered and cheered, oo'd and awe'd, and the whole experience was very enjoyable (except for being 'herded' into the theatre). During the poignant moments of the film the theatre was deathly quiet, adding to the suspense.

I then took the family again last night, and it was not the same experience. No cheers for the good guys. No oo's when characters kissed. Just the rustling of popcorn and candy bags during the quiet scenes. As you get older, what actually happens is you loose the exuberance of youth and the patience to wait in long lines. Now, I wouldn't go to a premier by myself. It's the group dynamic that makes the long wait tolerable and makes the viewing experience heightened, but if you have a small group of friends that can get really excited about a particular movie franchise, premier night can be a unique and fun experience.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The only premiere I've ever been to was The Dark Knight, but that was more than worth it. As you said, it was a unique experience. Every time Heath Ledger was on-screen as the Joker, the entire theater was hanging on his every word. I mean, you literally could have heard a pin drop. I've never experienced that sort of group captivation before or since.

Also, getting to see Snakes on a Plane at a college screening was an amazing experience too, albeit of a different sort. Everyone there was completely into it, cheering the first time Samuel L. was on-screen, yelling The Line along with him, and just generally enjoying the hell out of it. Tons of fun. Smile

As far as spoilers go...ugh. I hate being spoiled myself, even though it's happened far more times than I'd like, so I try to go out of my way to both avoid them and keep myself from sharing too much with other people. Unfortunately, there are some things that it seems like are too big to avoid, the mentioned One Piece spoiler being one of them. It's sort of amusing to read about the Darth Vader spoiler now, given that it's part of our ubiquitous pop culture, but I can imagine that being really disappointing at the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3