• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
This is easily the best episode so far-all the training Irina and Lev have completed has finally come to fruition. Lev finally realizes that Irina "is just an ordinary girl" who happens to have fangs and pointed ears. Maybe I'm wrong but I see some heavy duty romance developing in a few episodes.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
I hope we get faux-Soviet space-testing hijinks in faux-Kazakhstan next.

Interesting to read on a day when the Russians up to their old tricks on space, testing anti satellite weapons and creating lots of space junk for team from Planetes. Our space billionaires are all doing good things like decreasing the cost of launches by an order of magnitude compared to United Launch Alliance, whereas all the communist and formerly communist countries just play havoc with the environment and space.

But you can't expect governments, especially communist ones, to be as moral as capitalists .
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
So Natalia was secretly high brass KGB the whole time. She knew what she was talking about warning Lev not to talk bad about the government in public. I wonder if Lev will ever see Franz again.

With all the death flags hanging over Irina's head, it was nice to see them actually show the launch be successful and for her to have a safe re-entry all in one episode. The only question is what happens now that Irina has completed her mission and the Russian government has no reason to keep her around.

There's also the matter of Lev and Irina's relationship, particularly when we see the two of them hugging and cuddling so intimately.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
his previously-seen allergic reaction to Irina's love bite goes unremarked on.

Maybe because there wasn't one? I mean, yeah, I guess it could come up later, but until it does, I really don't think that's what was going on in that scene.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
So Irina made it to space and back in one piece.... Lev has a lot to live up to now.

So do the "death flags" now switch to Lev as he tries to get into space, Natalia has obviously been keeping an eye on him all along so the demotion thing could just be another "test" for Lev.

Irony would be if he died doing it, meaning Irina losing the only human she trusted/loved....

I still feel it's going to end up in tears by the last Ep.

And Franz was the baddie just as I thought - and has been dealt with by the authorities.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Considering Irina's government, can this show have a good ending, one without exile or death.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
At least the staff were able to give Irina the congratulations she deserved, showing her getting some recognition despite the fact that history will never know what she accomplished.

Was not expecting that UK burger joke to come back.

I love how much more open Irina is with her feelings for Lev, being so happy when he's re-instated as a candidate or when they're just goofing off and tossing the globe at each other, or how she can barely hide how happy she is at the flowers. Just get together already, you two.

It's also nice to see her and Anya bonding and being real friends with each other. Too bad Lev didn't get to see her in that dress.

It must be weird getting fed and doted on by a KGB agent. Also, good that the sub-director was reassigned, although it doesn't seem like Franz was killed (at least officially).

Was Irina about to confess? Did seeing the moon make Irina realize her feelings for Lev?
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm a lover of the 'slow burn relationship' and this series is doing it for me in spades. That 'scooch' scene? Perfection of movement over dialogue to sell the scene. Loved it!!!
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I believe Riza's antagonism against Irina was not about vampirism as much as she vocalized that aspect, but as another rival who was female and thus robbing her of her sole exceptionalism as the only female candidate, and one who unfairly got to be the first in space versus Roza's lack of confidence that she likely cannot overcome her male rivals. So by voicing that frustration she was able to realize and let go of that antagonism which was the main spurce of her problem and not Irina being a vampire. When she realized she'd failed to make it with the parachuting incident, there was no reason to maintain the rivalry, it was almost a relief.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I wonder if Lev will ever see Franz again.

Given the fate of the attempted assassin, I'm thinking not...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote
So vampires exist in the other countries, and it seems they're treated with the same apprehension.

I love how Irina is now even more of a classic tsundere, trying to hide her feelings so hard and being so prickly when all that blushing gives her away.

I'm glad Roza was able to finally drop the aggressive act and be honest about herself to the point of apologizing to Lev. I can at least understand why she would feel so competitive and hostile when she feels she has so much she has to prove just from being a woman. I hope she can apologize to Irina's face.

Anya playing best gal pal and wingwoman!

Well, on the one hand, Irina is useful enough that they've given her an official position in Sangrad, but on the other hand...it's likely to separate her from Lev. This date might be their last time together.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
I wonder if Lev will ever see Franz again.

Given the fate of the attempted assassin, I'm thinking not...

Well, they've kind of given differing accounts on Franz's fate...Natalia made it sound like it was erased, but officially he was just "transferred," although I guess they still could have killed him.

I am glad Natalia is around to keep Irina safe, although I'm not sure if this will be the last assassination attempt.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess in light of recent events, I took "transferred" to be like sending him to a nice family farm upstate. Wink
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:43 am Reply with quote
Lev and Irina's date was adorable. I love Irina's reaction to the movie and the standing ovation, even though she's the one that actually went into space.

Lev has unlocked a kind for getting his neck bitten, which is a must for a vampire romance, but Irina isn't ready to jeopardize him over her feelings. And she has it bad for him.

So Irina lied about having a secure career in the government, and she's actually still just being tested on with a good chance of being eliminated once they don't need her anymore. Assuming they don't plan on starting a "revolution."

Mikhail shows his true colors when he's angry Lev was chosen over him, feeling he was a much better choice. I'm suspicious that he might try to pull something to get Lev taken out of the running.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
Only a couple of episodes to go - the death flags are flying high for both of them. This isn't going to end up all lovey-dovey

the neck-bite offer was peak moe.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
I wish Irina would have been asking something like, "How did they do that?" rather than "Is this real?" since she more than anyone else in the world would know it couldn't be.

And while the neck bite offer was romantic and all, it really had me on edge, since that's something the doctors scrutinizing his fitness daily would be sure to notice. I don't know how they've overlooked just the mark on his arm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4