• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atelier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:23 am Reply with quote
Reading through the latest review, I was seriously starting to doubt myself and wonder if and how I really misunderstood the entire episode, but yeah, seems like the reviewer got the wrong idea. I mean, it's not a big deal, but I was really doubting myself when going through the review, ha ha.
rfletcher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Like Mercedez, I absolutely read the first festival episode as saying that Kamiya was interested in Shikimori, and I remember thinking this just before MC-kun voiced the thought himself. I was impressed that a standard rom-com would go for this twist on the tired love-triangle plot, and I wondered if it was too good to be true.

And then, next episode, it was.

(C'est la vie. I guess Birdie Wing has my yuri goggles cranked up higher than usual this cour.)

But then, just as I was settling in to let the cliche wash over me, it had that tiny flash where Kamiya was imagining herself taking the "couple picture" ... but with Shikimori. Why do that, if our clumsy everyman is the fulcrum of the love conflict?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that Kamiya --> Shikimori getting deconfirmed killed Mercedez. They and their reviews will be remembered fondly.

As for the episodes themselves, they were good. I did doubt a bit who Kamiya was lovelorn for, but Doga Kobo made that crystal clear with that lovely fairy tale sequence. Having seen them in action with this and OsaMake, I feel excited for their upcoming work on Oshi no Ko. Here's to seeing what's up with Shikimori's and Izumi's pasts as hinted at in the OP.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The shtick of Izumi getting into misfortunate situations and Shikimori gallantly saving him was certainly cute, but it can get a little tiring. Or perhaps that's just an issue with binging the whole show to catch up...

No, Canipa, no it isn't. Even at an episode a week, the gimmick of Izumi's bad luck is more than sigh-worthy and Shikimori's hidden badass side isn't ridiculous enough to make up for it. At least, that's my take on it.

As for this week's episode, Kamiya was way too dramatic in her conversation with Shikimori. The girl confirms she's fine with you continuing to interact with Izumi, and you decide to double down on your feared response from her by committing to it? Seriously, read the room (or in this case rooftop), girl!

Is there any specific reason Mercedez dropped out of doing reviews, or is that something that's best not discussed here? A nudge elsewhere at the very least would be nice, just to sate my curiosity.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I thought they did a good job conveying Kamiya's feelings and the regret she feels of her lost love. She wanted to be Cinderella but lost that chance to Shikimori, and their similarities make it even more palpable.

It was also a refreshing take on a love rivals dynamic where Shikimori isn't so much jealous of Kamiya having feelings for Izumi as she does respect her for liking the guy she likes and appreciating his good qualities. Of course she's still a little self-conscious about it.

I hope Kamiya can find another person who will treat her like a normal girl and not as a school idol and so she can find her own happiness.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Guitar Hachimitsu! Detective Hachimitsu! Give us more Hachimitsu! Nekozaki puts on a pretty good showing this time around too. She's always been a fun sidekick, but we fleshed out her character much better here. She's a ball of energy that drives forward at all times (and therefore is a great contrast to the deadpan Hachimitsu), but there's more too her than just that.

That booth photo with Kamiya looks like a promo image for a slightly different genre of anime. I'd totally watch it. Hopefully Kamiya bring drawn into the group means she now has other people who accept her as herself like Izumi does, though being around Izumi and Shikimori will be hard. Those two are not subtle.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Popping back into ep 7 & 8 a bit, I also thought Kamiya might have been crushing on Shikimori but only because that's what Izumi himself thought, before that. Prior to that it seemed her feelings directed at him before the ambiguity set in. However given that flashbacks was about Izumi and Kamiya's time together result made sense. Eitherway it was harmless misunderstanding practically born out of Izumi's own low self-esteem and Shikimori's popularity. Like rfletcher I'm impressed that this angle would be considered at all.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:40 pm Reply with quote
This was a really great episode focusing on the friendship of the group and Hachimitsu in particular...with the pre-requisite Shikimori awesome moment and being jealous of Inuzuka being Izumi's bro.

This had as much heart, effort, and power of friendship as any legit sports anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:52 pm Reply with quote
How in the heck did Hatchimitsu not win that ball toss game? Stamina aside, she was the only one shown scoring any points at all (at least 20).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:33 pm Reply with quote
(How was the ball-toss game even scored? How do they keep track of whose balls got in the net?)

This episode reaped the benefits of all the hard-work the series has done building up these characters and their relationships --- otherwise this would have been a pretty uninteresting episode, except we know these people and we're rooting for them.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Glad I wasn't the only one that got caught by surprise and teared up at episode 10. They really hit the right notes with that last sequence.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
How was the ball-toss game even scored? How do they keep track of whose balls got in the net?

After looking again, I think each of the teams goes separately, and then their goals are tallied before the next team. We only were shown girls with red head bands doing the tosses. So I guess she was the only one of the Class 4 team who could make it, but Class 3 also had at least one player who could, plus had stamina for the whole time period.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
Guitar Hachimitsu! Detective Hachimitsu! Give us more Hachimitsu!

Woo, more Hachimitsu! Melty Hachimitsu. Giving it her all Hachimitsu. Massive grin Hachimitsu.

The gang have a fantastic dynamic, and it's genuinely impossible to call out any one character as the MVP of the group. Sure, Shikimori has god-tier athletics, but she's got plenty of vulnerabilities too, and the gang all complement each other very well. This show started out slow, I really wasn't that sold on the first couple of episodes. But it's into its stride now. It's not top of my season list, but I'm glad I stuck with it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
dm wrote:
How was the ball-toss game even scored? How do they keep track of whose balls got in the net?

After looking again, I think each of the teams goes separately, and then their goals are tallied before the next team. We only were shown girls with red head bands doing the tosses. So I guess she was the only one of the Class 4 team who could make it, but Class 3 also had at least one player who could, plus had stamina for the whole time period.

You guys haven't seen these berore?

Each team has their own net. The team with the most balls in their net wins. If you somehow accidentally throw a ball in the wrong net, that ball counts for that other team, as it's their net.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they're re-focusing back on Izumi and Shikimori as we near the finale. And nothing beats a Disneyland date...although Shikimori definitely has some kissing in mind to cap it off.

I like the genuine sibling bond and teasing between Shikimori and her brother. Also the fact that her brother is also popular but can't handle it as well as his little sister can.

Romi Park as Shikimori's mom is so perfect.

The Opening already teased it, but it was nice seeing both of their backstories and how they met. Izumi was despondent and resigned about his bad luck ruining his chances for happiness and friendship, and Shikimori was aimless and unsure of her path in life. And it was only through meeting each other that they were able to find the one thing they wanted most.

It was fun seeing Shikimori trying to reinvent herself as a Shojo manga Heroine and that's when she dedicated herself to being more cute and feminine. Seeing that transition from her short-haired tomboy youth to a delicate girly girl (but still just as strong) was cool. Also all the various hairstyles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4